Talk

Advanced search

21 day test

(12 Posts)
bluer Fri 02-Nov-12 20:53:19

Hi...was hoping some of you lively ladies can explain what this text can tell etc. the doc was quite quick and didn't really explain....she said my irregular periods could be due to thyroid...at least I think that's what she said... Basically what result am I looking for from this test and also the next one which is meant to be done during my period? Thanks for helping a puzzled person!

MissWinklyParadiso Fri 02-Nov-12 21:05:39

Day 21 test checks your progesterone level, the level is a good indicator of whether or not you've ovulated.

bluer Fri 02-Nov-12 21:09:55

Thanks! If I haven't been ovulating what is the next step do you know? Feel silly I should've asked but I was a bit off guard

FrankelDeBeauvoir Fri 02-Nov-12 21:12:39

The problem with a "Day 21" test is that it isn't much use if you have irregular periods.

If you have textbook cycles, you will ovulate on Day 14. A Day 21 blood test then measures your progesterone levels 7 days later - when your levels peak. If, however, you ovulate earlier or later in your cycle, a "Day 21" test will tell you very little.

A Day 21 test is taken, as its name suggests, on Day 21 of your cycle, so you won't be on your period at that time.

FrankelDeBeauvoir Fri 02-Nov-12 21:13:36

X-posted with you?

My next step after blood tests was to have an ultrasound which, in my case, picked up Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

bluer Fri 02-Nov-12 21:23:15

Ah right...well I can be usually 40 days etc but this months on track for 30 days and I had the test on cd23.. The doc said I also had to have a test during the first five of my period (even thought I never bleed for more than 48 hour)

FrankelDeBeauvoir Fri 02-Nov-12 21:37:04

If you are having a test early in your cycle it is for your LH levels. LH is the hormone that encourages follicles to grow and mature. It's a different test to a Day 21 test.

bugsylugs Fri 02-Nov-12 21:43:08

Day 21 progesterone is based on textbook women ie 28 day cycles. If you have regular cycles but outside that time then you tend to use cycle length minus 7 as an equivalent. So if your cycle was 25 days ( from 1 bleed to the next ) than you would test on day 18 if cycle 40 days test on day 33 etc. should be 7 days after ovulation but more diff to work out maybe. If cycles v irreg then keep a diary for 3 or so moths take an average and minus 7 you may get a result. If you use cam etc you could try 7 days after you think you might ovulate. The test is to see if you ovulate.

Day 1-5 test is to check for LH and FSH best done in first days of cycle does not matter how many days you bleed for, may also be looking at testosterone. You want a low FSH, tsh <2 progesterone > 35 some say higher

Fri night and am tired and had a little wine but am happy to reply to any other qua if you pm

What was your tsh?

bugsylugs Fri 02-Nov-12 21:44:08

Oops qu's

bluer Fri 02-Nov-12 22:04:56

Thanks! I've not had any result but just wondered what the steps would be if the results aren't good!

bugsylugs Fri 02-Nov-12 22:27:42

Next steps would depend on your age, how long you have been trying to conceive, what the tests show. Ate possibly us to look at ovaries remember will probably be an internal scan.

bugsylugs Fri 02-Nov-12 22:28:10

And poss us etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now