Talk

Advanced search

IVF injections..not as bad as i thought!

(4 Posts)
blondebaby111 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:28:12

A few days ago i started my menopur injections. This was the part i was most dreading as i hate needles but its really not as bad as i thought. My dh did it for methe first few times but last night i was very brave and did it myself. I'm a bit concerned tho that its not working as i don't feel any diffrent yet and thought i would get lots of side effects

FrankelDeBeauvoir Sun 28-Oct-12 12:12:25

Well done you! I've just had my first cycle of menopur (for ovulation induction) and have just started 2WW.

I found using an ice cube to numb the area really helped, and not to look as the needle went in. I had no choice but to get on with it myself as DH works away and the first night did take some psyching up!

I reacted pretty quickly (only had 9 injections) and the side effects I saw were:

Increased CM - within days of starting the injections
Headaches for the first couple of days
Horrendous skin breakout after about 5 days
I felt a lot of "bubbling" sensations, which I presume were the follicles growing. I very nearly overstimulated (not good for ovulation induction, but I guess what you want for IVF!) and had 3 pretty big follicles after 6 days, but when they scanned again 3 days later only 2 had continued growing.

Good luck!

totallynaive Sun 28-Oct-12 17:28:48

I had no side-effects when I did the injections about 2 years ago. In fact, I think I felt better than I had in ages. But maybe this is because I was no longer killing myself at the office.

A seasoned ivf friend has told me in the past it depends on the level of hormones they decide you're going to need, as under one consultant her side-effects were quite bad, but under another who took a different approach she actually got more eggs and less side-effects.

blondebaby111 Sun 28-Oct-12 20:08:42

Frankel...good luck onthe 2ww, i will be keeping everything crossed for you. Totallyniave I feel pretty damn good as well, i've cut back on workload which is good but also i feel the pressures off as we haven't been able to actively try for a while so i just feel like me again if that makes sense x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now