Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

IVF injections..not as bad as i thought!

(4 Posts)
blondebaby111 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:28:12

A few days ago i started my menopur injections. This was the part i was most dreading as i hate needles but its really not as bad as i thought. My dh did it for methe first few times but last night i was very brave and did it myself. I'm a bit concerned tho that its not working as i don't feel any diffrent yet and thought i would get lots of side effects

FrankelDeBeauvoir Sun 28-Oct-12 12:12:25

Well done you! I've just had my first cycle of menopur (for ovulation induction) and have just started 2WW.

I found using an ice cube to numb the area really helped, and not to look as the needle went in. I had no choice but to get on with it myself as DH works away and the first night did take some psyching up!

I reacted pretty quickly (only had 9 injections) and the side effects I saw were:

Increased CM - within days of starting the injections
Headaches for the first couple of days
Horrendous skin breakout after about 5 days
I felt a lot of "bubbling" sensations, which I presume were the follicles growing. I very nearly overstimulated (not good for ovulation induction, but I guess what you want for IVF!) and had 3 pretty big follicles after 6 days, but when they scanned again 3 days later only 2 had continued growing.

Good luck!

totallynaive Sun 28-Oct-12 17:28:48

I had no side-effects when I did the injections about 2 years ago. In fact, I think I felt better than I had in ages. But maybe this is because I was no longer killing myself at the office.

A seasoned ivf friend has told me in the past it depends on the level of hormones they decide you're going to need, as under one consultant her side-effects were quite bad, but under another who took a different approach she actually got more eggs and less side-effects.

blondebaby111 Sun 28-Oct-12 20:08:42

Frankel...good luck onthe 2ww, i will be keeping everything crossed for you. Totallyniave I feel pretty damn good as well, i've cut back on workload which is good but also i feel the pressures off as we haven't been able to actively try for a while so i just feel like me again if that makes sense x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: