Talk

Advanced search

Difficulty conceiving third child

(6 Posts)
SendMum Sat 27-Oct-12 23:27:05

I was lucky enough to conceive my two children really easily. The first one was an accident after one drunken night with my husband, the second was conceived on the second month of trying. We have now been trying for our third for 5 months and nothing. I know it doesn't seem like a long time and some people go through years of trying before they conceive. But I am 34 and I feel like I need to get on with it. It's so frustrating as I don't know what has happened between then and now, it's only been a couple of years, could my fertility have dropped off that much? Thanks for any advice.

StuntNun Sat 27-Oct-12 23:31:11

Yes your fertility may be lower and you may have got lucky with the first two. Your partner's fertility may have changed too. To maximise your chances you are best to start recording your temperatures and using ovulation tests so you can be sure you're DTD at the best times. I conceived very easily the first two times but it took over a year with number three. I also had a couple of chemical pregnancies.

SendMum Sat 27-Oct-12 23:35:57

Thanks stuntnun. I have been using ovulation test sticks for the last three months so I know exactly when I'm ovulating, but so far it hasn't made any difference. My husband is only 32 so his fertility should be ok, but mine must be dipping rapidly which is worrying each month that goes by!

winkle2 Sun 28-Oct-12 00:11:30

This scares me as I've been TTC for 15 months and I'm 34 in jan.

StuntNun Sun 28-Oct-12 07:23:37

SendMum I was surprised how much longer it took with number 3. I had a 'surprise' with my first and the second only took two months as well. At 33-34 I didn't think fertility would have declined too much but there are elements of health and just good luck in your timing to consider. The other thing I hadn't really taken in was the increased risk of MC with age. My third pregnancy ended in a MC but I did get pregnant again within two months. I know too many people that have had a lot of trouble conceiving tone anything other than grateful for my good fortune.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 28-Oct-12 08:43:19

It may seem like a long time given how easily you fell pregnant with your first two but actually it's well within the norm for pregnancy. 80% of couples conceive within 1 year, 90% within 18 months. So although its been 5 months, it's not time to panic yet!
Are you trying to time the sex or are you doing it regularly? Three times a week, every week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now