Talk

Advanced search

Any chance this month....and men...!

(18 Posts)
Scraggyanna Mon 22-Oct-12 13:02:26

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to TTC so was wondering if anyone could share your expertise with me...

I got a smile on a CB test (not CBFM) on 18th October, which I understand signifies the LH surge which precedes OV by 24-36 hours. So, I'm assuming OV on 19/20th. We had sex on 15th, 18th and 21st. Do any of these dates look to be in with a chance? Also, how do I work out how many DPO I am when I'm not exactly sure when I ovulated?

Also, my husband is desperate for a baby, but doesn't seem to understand that you need to put the work in. He's gutted every month when I'm not pregnant, but doesn't seem to want to play the 'every other day' game. Any advice?

Thanks.

Tabbytiger Mon 22-Oct-12 13:33:02

Hello,

Yes - there's a good chance. All those dates are possible. Sperm can survive for 5 days if conditions are right (i.e. you're about to ovulate/have just ovulated) - so any of those times could do it. You won't know exactly when you ovulate unless you get ovulation pains (which are quite unusual). The egg survives for 12-24 hours after ovulation, I think... If you ovulated on the 20th, the 21st would be a possible bingo date. The 15th and 18th sound even better as the sperm could well have been hanging around in the fallopian tubes waiting to fertilise an egg.

Continuing to use ov predictor kits are probably your best bet then if your husband doesn't want to play the every other day game. Maybe try to do them secretly then be amorous on the day/days you get happy faces - or if your cycle is regular, the days around your ovulation date!

However, I think even if you "do it" on the "right" days you still only have a 20% chance of getting pregnant that month so give it time...

Good luck!

wifey6 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:25:17

Watching with interest OP as I am wondering the same! Dtd cycle days 7 11 13 16 18 & had positive OPKs days 16 & 17.
Cycles been irregular since missed miscarriage in April sad so succumbed to OV sticks...which strangely feed my POAS obsession smile
Does anyone think this month looks right?
Thank you
Best of luck OP smile

winkle2 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:52:15

Wifey - that looks like you dtd on the right days.

Think I remember you from the April BFP thread...

wifey6 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:49:33

Thank you winkle2...time will tell I guess. smile
No I wasn't on the April thread..I miscarried in April sad
I was on the nov 2012 thread for a few months sad
Have been taking evening primrose oil this cycle so hope that has helped smile

FrankelSaysRelax Tue 23-Oct-12 08:09:37

The only way of knowing for sure when you ovulate is to chart your temperatures throughout your cycle and observe the rise that comes after ovulation.

If you have regular cycles you should be able to predict when your period is due. To be on the safe side I would avoid testing until at least 2 weeks after 21st.

Scraggyanna Tue 23-Oct-12 10:26:50

Thanks all for your replies.

Wifey, sorry to hear about your miscarriage. It looks like both of our dates might be in with a chance, so fingers crossed, and here's to the two week wait....!

wifey6 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:14:02

I despise the 2 week wait. angry
By the time I am due to test..it will be around the time I should of had my baby sad so if BFN...I can commiserate in a few drinks...& if BFP..it will be like a little gift from heaven x

winkle2 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:16:29

Good luck wifey and everyone else... and me!

wifey6 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:48:52

Thank you..GOOD LUCK EVERYONE smile

frogchops Tue 23-Oct-12 19:40:37

Ok, I'm hoping here's thelace that someone will help....this is my first try blush....have just come off pill, had withdrawal bleed from 20/10 to probably tomorrow 24/10..... I know it's not always easy predicting ov after a coming off the pill, but anyone any idea of good dates, to be errr getting on with it?? Please?
I have downloaded the 'pink pad' app I think it's called, but it gives me a week on the little calendar with little flowers on with more or less petals on as the week goes by, how do I know wether to go with the big flower or the little flower, ??? Very sorry if I'm sounding stupid!!

digerd Tue 23-Oct-12 20:07:23

All I can say, is that I conceived on the 15th day after the start of my previous period, in the evening. I had regular periods every 28 days . I know it is different for everybody. Years later after coming off the pill at 39, I failed to get pregnant again, and the only means to anticipate ovulation then was taking your temperature. But my periods suddenly became erratic, and arrived between 23-26 days, when I was 40, and although my temperature chart said I was ovulating around the middle of the month, I never did get pregnant again. Must have left it too late for me at 40. The advances in predicting your ovulation and even knowing you are pregnant before your next period is due, is wonderful and wished they were around then.

Good Luck

winkle2 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:01:26

Frog - Count 20/10 as cycle day 1, I would go for having sex every 2-3 day starting from cycle day 8. Good luck!!

Scraggyanna Wed 31-Oct-12 20:50:41

Hello ladies,

Where are you all now in your cycles?

I reckon I ovulated on 20/10 from your advice which makes me 11 DPO today and judging by the length of my cycles, was also due today (perhaps, as I'm not all that regular, though that seems to be improving).

When would I be officially late? I had some spotting on 28/10 so 8DPO, but often get that just before my period so I expected it to come soon after, but nothing yet. Frankel, I think you suggested to test no sooner than 2weeks after 21st, which would be Sunday if no AF by then?

I'm not holding out much hope, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck?

winkle2 Wed 31-Oct-12 21:30:10

Good luck scraggy smile

I'm only on cd13 so still in the shagging stage!

Scraggyanna Mon 05-Nov-12 06:50:15

So, ladies. Turns out you were all right! I got my BFP last week so obviously did do it at the right time grin.

My husband is incredibly excited and I am in a state of shock, as we haven't been trying for long and had somehow convinced myself it would take much longer. blush

frogchops Mon 05-Nov-12 09:01:37

Congrats scraggy!!!
How long have u been trying? So come on then which cd's did u Dtd on this cycle, share!! Lol
Really pleased for you! Xx

winkle2 Mon 05-Nov-12 09:26:42

Congratulations scraggy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now