Talk

Advanced search

TTC desperately sad to stop bfeeding

(7 Posts)
happyfrogger Fri 19-Oct-12 13:39:48

Very very keen to start TTC for number 2. DD is just over 6 months and have EBF so far. The thought of giving her even half of her feeds as formula makes me so sad.

I love breastfeeding her but it was so hard getting to this point with a couple of m/c that I know I need to max my chances if we are serious about TTC again. And we are - I can't bear the thought of waiting another 6 months to start trying. I know plenty of people will come along to tell me it can happen still breastfeeding but the stats state fact, it's far harder.

I have no idea how much formula to give or even how the world of bottle feeding works other than the occasional expressed bottle she has. I thought now she was on 3 meals a day I would have cut some of the milk feeds done but she still has 5 milk feeds a day!!

I know it's a stupid fixation that I thought I would skip past the whole formula part but I feel so tugged in both directions with that and TTC that I don't know what to do!!

jennimoo Fri 19-Oct-12 17:41:00

Sounds like you've decided to stop, but how about start by 'block' feeding. I feed DD only one side am, other pm and definitely affects cycles so might kick start stuff for you.
Sorry, no more advice, just didn't want to leave you unanswered.

happyfrogger Fri 19-Oct-12 19:28:26

Thanks Jennimoo. That's worth trying!

I've read it's the suckling action rather than the milk production that is what stops fertility returning. And also that sudden changes tend to be more effective in periods returning rather than very gradual reduction.

I'm wondering if I can express for a couple of the feeds and just do the first and last feeds myself if that change might bring the periods back, at least then I'd know I was ovulating and could still keep b/feeding.

Such a hard decision sad

MurderOfProse Sat 20-Oct-12 18:49:25

Some people use Agnus Castus to bring their periods back. Do your own research in order to decide for yourself if you want to try it.

willitbe Sun 21-Oct-12 18:50:52

I just want to say be careful cutting back too suddenly - it is how after a year of breastfeeding my dd, I got mastitis. If you are feeding 5 times a day still you will definitely need to cut down slowly, you really don't want to be like me in hospital on IV antibiotics due to the mastitis (this was after sucessfully feeding two children with never getting mastitis beforehand!)

You don't have to stop completely do you???? You could continue with the bedtime feed for a bit and see if your cycle returns.

I was lucky I was one of the fortunate women where my cycles returned while exclusive breastfeeding (and managing to get pregnant while breastfeeding). I stopped bf my third child as I thought it was causing my miscarriages, I regret stopping for the wrong reasons. If you are not ready to stop then don't! If you are, then you will have to take on the harder work of formula feeding. I found formula feeding much harder in practical terms than just breastfeeding and switching to normal milk after.

I hope you have success with ttc soon

happyfrogger Sun 21-Oct-12 20:48:45

Some good advice here, thanks. Will have a look into Agnus Castus but would love to continue with morning and bedtime feeds if that was enough to trigger the return of my cycle. Sorry to hear of your bout of mastitis willitbe, but hope I may have similar luck with conceiving the next one!

MurderOfProse Fri 26-Oct-12 17:09:40

You can breastfeed with Agnus Castus I believe.. it says not to, but all supplements say that. I did my own research and was happy to take it. Some herbalists even prescribe it for increasing supply..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now