Talk

Advanced search

Early positive test - followed by two days of negatives

(23 Posts)
Tabbytiger Wed 17-Oct-12 15:00:23

Hello,

This is my first post, although I've lurked for a long time...! Just wondering what you think of this:

I took a Superdrug test on Monday (I think 7dpo, as I had an LH surge the Sunday before so probably ovulated the Monday before) and got a faint but definite pink positive line with second MU - within 10 minutes of doing the test. I still have the test and the line is still there and still pink.

I've since tested about 5 times (and it's only Wedneseday afternoon....) and only had negative results. Used more Superdrug tests, FR and Clearblue... Al negative.

I know you "can't" get a false positive but I've seen some things about Superdrug tests being unreliable. I also know it's very early so it might just be the test was done on a good concentrated urine sample!! But, I had a chemical pregnancy/very early miscarriage (at 5 weeks) two months ago so I'm a bit worried. Obviously I can't do anything other than wait and see but was just wondering what you ladies thought as the waiting is driving me crazy.

(Have two children already - so therefore three pregnancies technically - and generally haven't had a postive preg test until about 10-16 dpo.)

Any ideas?

Thank you!

rrreow Wed 17-Oct-12 15:07:04

I'm not sure if it depends on the test, but I did a Boots test about 1.5 weeks after ovulating, it was negative and only afterwards did I read in the instructions that you can take it from the day you missed your period (so implying that any earlier it wouldn't be reliable I guess?).

I did another test about 4 days after I was supposed to have my period and it was positive. So if I were you I'd wait until you definitely know you're past your period due date to rely on the results. And do the test first thing in the morning when the concentration of HCG is the highest.

Good luck!

Tabbytiger Wed 17-Oct-12 16:20:21

Yup - thanks rrreow. I know you're right! I'm worrying because I did get a positive and now I'm getting negatives. Not bleeding yet but my main concern is that it's another chemical pregnancy and never properly implanted. I'd be more optimistic if I hadn't got a postive yet! I suppose that's why it's called the two week wait. Because you need to wait to find out... I'm just being impatient.

Congratulations rrreow by the way!

Tabbytiger Wed 17-Oct-12 18:56:18

Drat. Been googling. Think it's probably a chemical pregnancy again. Or was a very brief one. I swore I wouldn't early test after last time as didn't want to know!

Tabbytiger Sat 20-Oct-12 20:45:35

Hi - just an update. Continued getting negatives all week (tues - fri or 8-11 dpo) and today had two very faint skinny lines on a boots early pregnancy test and a clearview early pregnancy test. Just did a clearview digital though and got 'not pregnant'. Am waiting until Tuesday to test again. Also have a tiny bit of brown spotting - which I sometimes have prior to my af but also had more than spotting when I became pregnant with DC2. anyway, thought I'd share as there seem to be so many questions about faint positives/possible evaporation lines and how early to test. I'll update again when I know - however, I suspect another chemical pregnancy (which explains the combination of negatives and really faint lines - maybe). Gah! Moral to this story is don't test early!!! Best not to know about chemical pregnancies and get your hopes up. Good luck to everybody else!

lurcherlover Sat 20-Oct-12 20:53:41

If you're not sure, get your hcg levels measured a few days apart at the docs - if they're going up, there's your answer. Good luck!

MurderOfProse Sun 21-Oct-12 17:43:38

I've had false positives similar to what you describe before. Never got a line on anything else, so I know they weren't real. This is on branded ones too, as opposed to Internet cheapies. One fairly easy to spot pink line in isolation. A real positive test would start out very faint and slowly get darker if you were testing really early, not be suddenly fairly dark.

I've also had the pencil thin line on both Boots own brand blue test and Clearblue (not the plus) and even Sainsburys own brand.. they don't mean positive unfortunately. Frustratingly the Boots test even claims the thickness of the line doesn't matter when it does!!

With all these tests, I've also been testing on the same sample a huge range of Internet cheapies (yes, I'm a POAS addict blush) which usually give a line before the others, and they were BFN which is why I know the ones I've mentioned were false positive.

That's not to say you're not pregnant, just that those tests you describe probably are false positives. And they like to mess with your head (have been there after all sad)

Good luck!

Hai1988 Sun 21-Oct-12 19:20:12

Hey tabby i know how you feel, had a very faint positive at 7dpo (yesterday) that to was with smu and today tested again with fmu but was neg, dunno what to think atm just gonna wait it out.

Please let me know what happens with you as it sounds like were going through the same thing

Tabbytiger Mon 22-Oct-12 10:42:17

Hi all - well, a faint but definite positive with First response (early one) today... So it's a pink line (good, I think). Weird. In summary, so far I've had:

7 dpo: Faint but clear positive (within 10 minutes) on Superdrug early
8-11 dpo: All negatives
12- 13 dpo: Very faint blue line on clearview non-digi and Boots 4 days early one - came up slightly after 10 minutes to be visible enough to say not a shadow/evaporation line - two negatives on clearview digital
14 dpo (today): faint but clear pink line on First Response (early)

So, I think I am pregnant but not sure the hcg is increasing as it should. Therefore, I will not be surprised if it's another chemical pregnancy. But we'll see. I'll let you know.

(And yes, of course I tested about 4 times a day despite promising to myself I wouldn't test until tomorrow... I've spent a fortune in the last two weeks. Silly woman...)

I'm not going to ask for a blood test because there's nothing much I can do about it if it is a chemical pregnancy again. AF is not even due until today. I still have a little brown spotting too so that's not a great sign. However, I had brown spotting when pregnant with DC2 - and it was more than spotting - so much that I used a tampon. Was quite suprised after 2 days when there was nothing much there when I changed it though (TMI, sorry) and then did a pregnancy test again (when AF would have been about 3 days "late") and only got a positive then.

Oh yes, had to take to bed this weekend too - diarhhoea and feeling nauseuos plus very sore throat. (Husband bit annoyed as he had to look after the children when we'd planned to have a DIY weekend.) Think the sore throat just a lurgy though.

I know from being pregnant with DC2 and going to the early preg unit that bleeding in early pregnancy is not necessarily a bad sign but normally, if it is this early, only 50% of pregnancies stick. I'll keep you updated.

Hai - was it a pink dye test? They seem to be more accurate (although I've seen negative reviews for Superdrug pink dye tests - I suspect that might be because they are so sensitive they pick up chemical pregnancies very early that never take so people might think they have false positives). I also read that when tests say they are a certain sensitivity they have to be at LEAST as sensitive as that. So you could get a 10 miu test that is actually 8 miu or a 25 miu test that is actually 17 miu - if you see what I mean.

Murderofprose - love the name! Yup, you're right - I think those tests are unreliable. And a fellow POAS addict? It's expensive, isn't it?! I bought internet cheapies last time round (with DC2) and never got a positive on them. But I did at least attempt to economise.

Anyway, I think 7dpo is way to early to test.

Hai1988 Tue 23-Oct-12 08:16:14

Hiya yes it was a pink dye test, but tested again yesteday (was afternoon tho) with a internet supposed sensitive dip stick but another negativesad

Hows things with you today?

Tabbytiger Tue 23-Oct-12 09:59:10

Hi Hai (?!)

You are still way too early to test! Not that I am one to talk... You need to wait until the weekend. I'm using the FRER that are supposed to be able to show a positive 6 days before your AF but they have NEVER worked that early for me (and I've got two DC, had one miscarriage and now this weird possible pregnancy/chemical pregnancy). The internet cheapies-super-sensitive ones never worked for me either. I threw them away after a week of getting positives with FRER when we conceived DC2.

Not sure how things are with me today. Another negative this morning first thing (FMU) but another faint positive at about 9.00 a.m. (Only using FRER now.) And spotting has picked up a bit. Still not a proper AF but not looking good. Then again, I had similar issues when I got pregnant with DC2 and all went well. So I guess things are still in limbo.

Good luck Hai (and everybody else!!).

Hai1988 Tue 23-Oct-12 10:25:20

Yeah i know and am now going to wait tillatleast saturday.now!!

A bit strange that with fmu u had a neg but with smu a positive? Cus the same thing happened with me.

Think im gonna buy some frer when i get payed

Tabbytiger Tue 23-Oct-12 11:46:13

AF started. Red now, not just brown. I can't believe it. Chemical pregnancy/very early miscarriage at end of August and now another chemical pregnancy in October. I really wish I had never have known about it and hadn't been so obsessive and tested so early.

Hai1988 Tue 23-Oct-12 11:49:11

Im so sorry tabby sad

Tabbytiger Tue 23-Oct-12 11:51:38

Thanks Hai. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Hai1988 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:32:40

Thanks will let you know

Hai1988 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:33:52

Thanks will let you know

MurderOfProse Wed 24-Oct-12 08:46:01

So sorry :-(

I'm in the same boat as you actually - a fairly obvious chemical in August (positive on a digi) and two more probable chemicals on the next two cycles as I had faint lines on different brands of tests. It gets really expensive as you say because you see the faint lines and want to test with something else.

It's actually good to know you are having chemicals - believe it or not my GP took it on board and made a note in my notes. My last one I was only 50% sure was a chemical so I didn't go along again, but if I have a third one then they'll start investigations.

I hope this cycle works out better!

Fingers crossed for Hai too! I test better with SMU and even better late at night.

Hai1988 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:29:53

hey all just purchessed a 2 pack of both FRER tests and CB digi ones from amazon, my logic is if i stock up then sods law will make me pg so i dont need them anymore grin

But tbh I am feeling less optimistic now sad as af due date draws closer the less pg i feel, that or im just getting used to the feeling of being pg and its not strange to me anymore.

I dunno weather to wait for my FRER tests to arrive or test Sat morning anyway even if they havent arrrived and just use one of my cheapies again, what do you guys reckon?

MurderOfProse Thu 25-Oct-12 23:42:38

Test anyway grin but I'm a certified POAS addict so don't listen to me!

I tried the stocking up trick last month and it didn't work sad - on the plus side, I don't have to buy many tests this month!

Hai1988 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:15:49

Ahhhh just got a definate bfp on a frer !!!!!!!

EricaJ Thu 01-Nov-12 06:10:46

Congrats Hai! That's fantastic news!

Tabby, just wanted to say sorry you are going through this. I am in exactly the same boat. Started TTC Sept 2011 & got BFP in October, I MC in December. Since then nothing, until last Sunday when I got a faint positive, followed by a mix of results & symptoms all week. I started spotting on Tuesday, really lightly but it's picking up & I got a BFN with Clear Blue this morning so it's over for me this month.

It's so hard but I try to stay positive & remember that the odds are on our side!

MurderOfProse Thu 01-Nov-12 22:52:09

Congratulations!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now