Talk

Advanced search

Delayed AF after coming off the pill

(8 Posts)
greenrabbits Mon 15-Oct-12 09:33:04

I gather this is quite common - has it happened to anyone else on here? How long did it take to show up?

I was on the pill for about 10 years. Stopped in Sept, had withdrawal bleed on 15 Sept, figured genuine AF would follow a month later. This is day 30, which for me is four days late - my cycle used to be every 26 days like absolute clockwork. You could time it almost to the second. I realise most people's cycles are longer but mine never has been.

It's not impossible I could be PG, though it's unlikely - while not quite actively TTC yet we've stopped trying NOT to, but haven't DTD much in the last few weeks and three tests have come out negative.

I'd be delighted if I'm PG but I don't think I am. I am starting to proper panic that something is wrong and would be very reassured by other stories of AF being delayed.

abigboydidit Mon 15-Oct-12 22:22:49

I was similar to you in having been on the pill a while and having regular cycles..until I stopped! Mine was totally wonky for about 4 cycles I think. 46 days then gradually reduced and then eventually settled at around 38 but never really consistently lower than that and still incredibly variable (would have the odd 26 day cycle thrown in and then back to 38/40). Afraid it made TTC really tricky so in the end I started checking the position of my cervix and for CM. Good luck!

chipsandpeas Tue 16-Oct-12 21:41:37

in a similar boat, i mistakely took the pill again for amonth mainly to delay my period when on hols, ended up spotting on the day i came home (spet 9th) so stopped taking it, cycle that month was 35 days, period started last thurs
now im paranoid that all my good work in using opk's most of this year has gone to waste :/ as i may be starting from scratch beforehand i was a cycle of 26 days and getting a positive opk on day 12
fingers crossed i havent mucked up too much

Fraggle78 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:35:13

I stopped taking the pill in November and not a dicky bird until March. A couple of regular cycles and now it is a bit more irregular again. Apparently it can take up to six months for it all to settle down, so I wouldn't worry just yet. I was also on the pill for 10 + years.

Purplemonster Thu 18-Oct-12 20:25:43

I was wondering the exact same thing, I took my last pill towards the end of September as well and so far, NOTHING. It's weird because when I was on the pill, if I ever missed one or two or was on antibiotics or something I'd get an immediate backlash from my body and start bleeding but now I've actually stopped taking it nothing is happening! It's very confusing.

pegster Thu 18-Oct-12 20:53:57

I was the same. Last pill and bleed in the march, first period in June but then very irregular cycle with between 5 & 8 weeks between periods until conceived in the December - acupuncture seemed to help but if course could just be luckblush

Hopingforababy Thu 18-Oct-12 21:30:03

I was on the pill for twelve years and came off in June. Since then, my periods have been all over the place. I've had cycles ranging from 32 - 42 days. I have really struggled to predict ovulation (thank god for those cheap sticks on amazon). This month, I ovulated around the 10th of Oct so am currently on the two week wait to see if the hubby and I have managed anything. We're using that conceive plus stuff which I am hoping might help. Absolutely no sign of AF and I've not had a period since 8th Sept.

Purplemonster Thu 18-Oct-12 21:46:02

Ugh it's just so frustrating, I've been feeling crampy for about three weeks and every day I've thought this MUST be it. Seems strange to be WANTING AF to show up when you're TTC but I just want to feel like I know everything is sort of working again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now