Talk

Advanced search

When would you test in cycle after MC?

(10 Posts)
CaptainHoratioWragge Fri 12-Oct-12 20:52:29

I had an erpc 29 days ago. Its my third MC, after the other two my first cycle afterwards was 35 days, so I'm presuming this one will be roughly the same.

We have been TTC, but haven't got a clue when to test. Would you wait until day 35 and if no AF test then, or test earlier?

I don't really want to test too early and risk a false negative as I'm so desperate to be PG and would rather hang onto the hope a bit longer, but on the other hand I need to take Clexane from my BFP, so don't want to leave it too late.

Any advice/experience would be great, thanks.

Irishmammybread Fri 12-Oct-12 21:39:32

Hi Captain. When I miscarried in March at 11 wks my next Af was also 35 days later (am usually a fairly regular 28 days). I then conceived but went on to miscarry at 6 weeks in June, by then I was charting my temp so I know ovulation was 14 days from first day of miscarriage bleeding. I then got a BFP on d 30 so I had conceived again that cycle but lost that baby at 12 weeks (though growth had stopped at 8w6d). I started charting my temp again and know I ovulated on d 23 afterwards and then had a luteal phase of 12 days before AF started( so was a cycle of 35 days again).
So it all seems quite unpredictable, I suppose it's hard to know exactly when you might have ovulated to know when you could test.
The fact that you need to take Clexane from your BFP might mean you want to risk the disappointment of a BFN by testing sooner rather than later.
Hope it's a BFP for you. Are you on aspirin too?

mylittlemonkey Fri 12-Oct-12 21:39:49

Really sorry to hear about your mc's. I had 2 mc before my current pg. I think I started testing after approx 5 weeks after on the basis the nurses said I could have a period anytime from 4-6 weeks after or longer. If you need to take something the day you get your BFP then might be better testing a 4 weeks just to make sure. It's a terrible rollercoaster to keep putting yourself through and I completely understand needing to hang onto hope and the desperate wanting to get that BFP. I am on fragmin with this pg and started at 4 weeks when I found out. I actually did not think I would be pg that month as DH was working away on my ov date. I did the test slightly earlier though just in case as I had tests done and knew I might need to take something on getting my BFP and glad I did as meant I started taking fragmin as soon as possible. Those first weeks after a BFP are anxious enough without worrying worrying about whether or not you could have tested earlier. If you get some cheaply tests you can test every day or other day from 4 weeks. Really, really good luck and hope this next one sticks.

CaptainHoratioWragge Fri 12-Oct-12 22:39:37

thanks for the replies, it is appreciated.

I'm so sorry you are both veterans of all this too.

I take on board what you both said about better to risk disappointment and test slightly earlier than wait for day 35 and possibly be late with the clexane (yes am also on aspirin- its for Hughes).

I'll buy some tests in the morning and test with FMU on Sunday so that DH will be around for moral support if I need it- that will be day 31. All this supposing AF hasn't arrived by then of course, but for some reason, I'm hopeful...

Irishmammybread Fri 12-Oct-12 23:30:58

Let us know how you get on!

mylittlemonkey Sat 13-Oct-12 06:27:40

It's good to be hopeful and as I am sure you already know it does not matter how much you try to avoid disappointment you will naturally feel disappointed if you don't get the BFP you ar hoping for. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and let us knw how you get on.

CaptainHoratioWragge Sun 14-Oct-12 16:37:06

Hi, I tested this morning, BFN sad

Still no AF, so a bit of me thinks it isn't over yet... still a couple more days of torturing myself, i should think,

I will try and hold off testing tomorrow, and test on tuesday morning if still no AF

mylittlemonkey Sun 14-Oct-12 20:51:14

Oh, I am sorry to hear of your bfn. I remember those feelings so well of hope that another day could bring another result. That did happen to me once though. My utter impatience resulted in me testing 5 days before AF due as I had read that the early tests could detect that early so used an early test and bfn. I forced myself to wait another 2 days and got the faintest line with fmu. I then tested everyday after that for the next week even when the line got really strong. I just wanted to keep seeing it.

If this is not your month, and it may not be, just remember you have managed to get pg three times before so you will get pg again and hopefully is time with the medication it will stick. It's awful waiting though and counting down the days. Is this your first?q

CaptainHoratioWragge Sun 14-Oct-12 22:38:45

Hi thanks for your post, its so kind of you to help me keep my spirits up.
I will test again tuesday if still no AF, really interesting to hear about your BFN/BFP 2 days later. OBv i have no idea when AF technically due this month!
Have also had a chat with DH and managing to see slightly past this month being the only window, too.

Not quite sure what you mean at the end, do you mean will it be my first little one? if so, yes it will be. Really appreciate your support x

mylittlemonkey Wed 17-Oct-12 08:47:09

Any more news Captain? I really found it helped to try and plan other things to look forward to and distract me from counting the days each month. Could you afford to do a weekend away or go and see friends you have not seen for a while? I also treated myself to some spa treatments that I would not be able to have done when I got pg. I also made some projects for myself like redecorating some rooms in our house - nothing expensive just painting and a few bits but it did help me try and focus on something else and you need that to stop going a bit insane. I did obviously still obsess a bit and bought loads of ovulation sticks and other methods of predicting my ov dates including this saliva monitor but the other distracts definitely helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now