Talk

Advanced search

Clomid Newbie

(20 Posts)
beckaflex Thu 11-Oct-12 11:43:10

Hi everyone

I'm about to start Clomid on my next cycle - very anxious about it!

Wondered if anyone had any stories to share about their experiences with clomid? Are you currently taking it or about to start? Any success stories or even unsuccessful ones? Just want to be able to share experience with someone as I feel like I'm the only one in the world about to embark on this journey! (That sounded corny lol)

Thanks

SuperSlattern Thu 11-Oct-12 12:21:18

Hi becka

I have used and I am currently on my first cycle of clomid for DC#2.

I conceived DD (who is now 13 mo) on cycle #2 the first time.

I have low progesterone levels, so the GP/GYN thinks I dont ovulate every month, despite regular cycles.

We have been TTC for around 4 months now, and nothing has happened. GP was happy for me to go on it for 3 cycles to see what occurs smile

Dont be nervous, you will be fine. The best tip I had was take it at night, that way if you experiance drowseness and hot flushes you should be asleep for most of it. Oh and make sure you take it around the same time every day.

rainbowbreeze Thu 11-Oct-12 12:45:30

I'll be taking it for the first time on my next cycle so will watch this thread with interest. So beckaflex you're not on your own in starting this journey smile

summerintherosegarden Thu 11-Oct-12 13:40:18

Hi becka, I'm currently on my second cycle. My first cycle was 50mg and I grew a 16mm follicle but didn't ovulate, so this time round my dosage was increased to 100mg.

As Slattern said take the pills at night so the side effects don't bother you as much, if you get any. All I've had are vivid dreams and insomnia, nothing bad!

The worst part for me is the blood tests because I hate needles smile However, don't be anxious - this could be the first step towards your baby.

beckaflex Thu 11-Oct-12 17:05:56

Thanks to you all for sharing! I'm on day 18 of my cycle which can last anytime between 27 - 31 days so got a bit to wait before I start. Doctor told me to take clomid on days 5-9. He's pretty much leaving me on my own to take it for 3 months. If nothing has happened by then I guess he'll do some tests or something? He seemed pretty happy to leave me to it.

I have a friend who conceived taking clomid last year and she came over the other day for a visit 9don't see her very often as she lives a few hours away now). I showed her the tablets and she said hers looked nothing like them! Got me worried now! I guess they must have changed the pill colour since last year.

Anyway please be patient with my questions - like I said I've pretty much been left to my own devices so have a lot of them!

Pipbin Thu 11-Oct-12 21:48:48

Hi, unless I manage it this cycle it's going to be clomid for me next cycle I think.
I have my next appointment the last week of October, which is when AF is due.

Any ideas when I can start taking it, also, what happens when I have. Am I right in thinking I need to have hospital appointments?

summerintherosegarden Thu 11-Oct-12 22:12:46

Becka, my pills looked like old school aspirins - kind of beige colour and a few mm across. But there are several different companies that make the drug so don't worry about that!

Pipbin, your gynae should advise you when to start taking clomid, it will probably be either days 2-6 or 5-9 of your cycle. Whether you have hospital appointments will depend on your PCT - for me, it's an ultrasound on CD12 and bloods on CD21 (I actually ended up having bloods on CD28 as well in case I ov'ed late) so a few appointments each month.

SuperSlattern Fri 12-Oct-12 12:57:46

hi rainbow, summer and pipbin <waves> smile

I wouldnt worry too much about what they look like becka, they have probably changed since then.

I wasn't monitored the first time and I am not being monitored this time either. I had the danger signs explained and what I needed to do if something wasnt quite right.

I'm not saying its the correct route, as most people are/should be monitored. I think had it not happened the first time around I would of insisted on monitoring.

pipbin I was advised to take them on days 2 to 6, but everyone is different. becka is taking them on days 5 to 9. Please bear in mind you might miss it by a few days and have to wait. fx you wont need them.

cystersledge Fri 12-Oct-12 19:08:36

Hello,

You are not alone!

I am a couple of days into my second cycle of Clomid. I had four scans to monitor my progress on my first cycle and then a blood test to confirm that I had ovulated. Sounds like my PCT are very keen on scans compared to others! I'm a bit of a control freak so liked knowing what was going on in plenty of detail though. Anyway, I did ovulate but no BFP (not for want of trying!), so here I go again this month, although I won't be having any scans this time.

I was very anxious too but it has been fine so far so please try not to worry. I've not had bad side effects at all - some slight nausea a few times at the beginning but that's all. In fact it has made me much more positive about TTC as I feel like I am actually getting on with things rather than waiting for something to happen.

Fingers crossed for all clomiders!

FriendofDorothy Sat 13-Oct-12 21:20:20

I conceived on our first cycle of Clomid. We were pretty lucky I think and we have no real idea why it worked!

OneNiceGreenLeaf Sat 13-Oct-12 21:25:00

It took my 10 cycles of clomid to conveive my DD. I ovulated everytime on 50 mg and I think it was just a matter of getting lucky with the timing. So even if it doesn't happened straightaway with clomid, keep the hope.

Good luck smile

summerintherosegarden Sun 14-Oct-12 18:37:21

Cystersledge, that's really reassuring that you ov'ed but didn't have any bad side effects. This cycle I haven't even really felt much in the way of twinges (which I did last cycle) so was thinking that my scan this week probably won't show anything up, but you've given me some hope!!

Rachel184 Mon 15-Oct-12 21:04:11

Hi all,

I'm newbie to the site and am not down with all the lingo yet so please bare with me

Hope you dont mind me posting my message on this thread too, just a bit more current than the other Clomid one. i had my HSG scan & got the all clear and will be on Clomid in my next cycle!! Been trying for a baby for a little over 2 years now following a miscarriage which broke our hearts. So excited to start taking it and really don't mind what side effects that everyone on here says it gives, as long as it gives me the baby who we so desperately want.

I have to be honest though at the moment I'm so tense I could burst. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm worried its gonna hinder my chances more.

It's really lovely reading the positive stories on here, it's made me feel hopeful for the first time in a long time!

Xx

cat85pink Tue 16-Oct-12 14:47:46

Hi

I'm new to this site.

We've been trying to conceive baby no.1 for nearly 3 years now,
All my test are ok, I am ovulating, my husband has problems, motility and progression,

So GP prescribed me 6 months of unmonitored Clomid, before next step insemination.

I'm on round 2. I take it cd.2-6 at night, few side effects last month but nothing too serious.

I worry and get anxious easily which I doubt helps, and I track ov which I think can put pressure on, its hard to just relax and let nature take its course after this long, with so many of our friends conceiving along the way we often wonder when it'll be our turn.

Baby dust xx

cystersledge Wed 17-Oct-12 20:33:28

Good luck with your scan Summer - I will cross my fingers for you. I didn't have any twinges at all.

After having so many scans last month I am now feeling a bit lost not knowing what is going on in there!

Pipbin Sat 20-Oct-12 23:04:47

Hey Cat and Rachel come and join us on the Elderberry Pavlova thread. We are all trying for our first. Most of us are over 30 too.

summerintherosegarden Mon 22-Oct-12 11:21:58

Thanks cyster - the scan went well, two follies at 16mm and 18mm, so am really really really hoping I'll lay an egg this month!

Cat - clomid is for women who don't ovulate so if the problems are with your DH I'm not sure why the doctor prescribed it? It seems like it'd make sense to go straight to insemination if you ovulate already anyway?

beckaflex Sun 28-Oct-12 10:23:48

Hi All

So nice to know I'm not in the boat alone!

I took my first tablet today: CD5. Taking it til day 9. Feel good so far. I'm trying to stay relaxed and happy, keep myself occupied and busy (which isnt too difficult with xmas round the corner!).

My concern is the hanky panky part! Don't want it to start feeling like a chore! I always find that I'm not as interested in getting it on mid cycle as I am towards the end! ARGH! Just don't want it to lose the magic I guess, will just have to try and stay relaxed and happy.

Good luck girls; hope is a magical thing smile

raspberrytipple Sun 28-Oct-12 18:35:16

Hello,
I'm starting clomid 50mg on next cycle which should start around 10th nov if my opks are anything to go by. I do ovulate, we are basically in the unexplained camp, I've had a lap & dye, I've got mild endo which was removed but is creeping back in according to recent blood test. DH is all fine.
I think they give clomid to women even if they do ovulate to maybe get an extra egg so therefore an extra target for the swimmers to aim for? I'm not sure but either way, although we've been trying over three years we actually aren't quite ready for IVF so this is a next step.

Pipbin Sun 28-Oct-12 19:57:32

As far as I know I ovulate but I am due to get prescribed Clomid on Wednesday. The annoying thing is that AF has got her boots on and is about to turn up here. I just hope I can have the appointment in time.
What day are you meant to take it on in your cycle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now