Talk

Advanced search

Painkillers when TTC

(14 Posts)
redstrawberry Wed 10-Oct-12 09:04:38

We have been trying for awhile now. I am about to OV anytime today or tomorrow, from charting prev cycles and OPKs. I have a flaring wisdom tooth pain today. Few months back in July I had wisdom tooth pain and I took pain killers then. I conceived but ended up with a Chemical Pregnancy.

I am so scared of taking pain killers this time around. Does anyone know if I should avoid the meds and just keep doing salt water rinses? Its not too painful right now, but I know from previous experience it will only get worse. Can I take them in the 2ww? Maybe once I have OVed? I am not sure if they would affect implantation sad

keepitgoing Wed 10-Oct-12 09:10:25

Hi red - paracetamol is fine anytime, including during pregnancy. You should avoid ibuprofen while pregnant, and it also says on the packet it can affect fertility, so i avoid altogether now ttc.

redstrawberry Wed 10-Oct-12 09:17:28

I have just checked the NHS guidelines and you are right. It definetely shouldn't be used by 'women trying for a baby'. I will try some paracetamol tonight, although not sure it can help with wisdom tooth ache.

Any natural remedies for wisdom tooth? I have been doing salt water gargles, brushing after meals and corsodyl. I am hoping it doesn't get worse.

redstrawberry Wed 10-Oct-12 09:18:10

NHS Link www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Pain&medicine=ibuprofen

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 09:19:26

Get it taken out! IME wisdom tooth pain just escalates. Maybe arrange for it to be done between cycles?

redstrawberry Wed 10-Oct-12 09:27:35

yes if I am not pregnant this month, I will get it taken out when AF arrives. This is the third time this year its flared up sad

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 10:09:03

Third time? definitely get it out. Mine was the worst pain I have ever experienced and kept me up all night crying even though i was in my 20s. Having them taken out was painless with no after effects. ( had a GA and had all 4 out as a day patient).

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 10:09:42

in fact, get them all taken out in case the other ones flare up during pregnancy and you will only be bale to take paracetamol.

HaveALittleFaith Wed 10-Oct-12 11:55:15

As someone who fell pregnant whilst on lots of painkillers - was booked in for an operation and got diffed in the mean time! - I'm stuck taking the painkillers. I would definitely get them whipped out. You can safely take paracetamol and codiene during pregnancy though.

redstrawberry Wed 10-Oct-12 16:20:30

Do you think 1 ibuprofen will cause any harm?

YouOldSlag Wed 10-Oct-12 17:15:07

No, not if you're not pregnant yet, just one would be Ok but if in doubt ask a GP or ring up NHS Direct.

Dexidoo Wed 10-Oct-12 17:33:58

I think regular anti inflammatories (such as ibuprofen) are best avoided but don't think any problem as a one off. I stick to paracetamol or co-codamol usually but if my back starts then take the odd ibuprofen.

winkle2 Wed 10-Oct-12 21:02:26

Sex with toothache OUCH!!!

redstrawberry Thu 11-Oct-12 09:20:42

hahaha yes had to use Conceive Plus for dtd winkle .... ermm also no snogging smile)

Pain is much better today. I did a lot of salt water gargles last night and even rubbed some salt on the tooth. Today I can barely feel the pain, but its still there. So carrying on with salt water. No painkillers yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now