Talk

Advanced search

norethisterone- to kick start periods?

(6 Posts)
whogivesaduck1 Sat 29-Sep-12 15:43:17

i have not had a period since stopping th einjection 7months ago. my doctor has suggested i try norethisterone, hoping that after i take a months worth it will kick start my periods.

has anyone else tried this?

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 30-Sep-12 09:34:51

thats the problem with the injection - can take up to a year (sometimes more) for fertility to return although they dont seem to make that clear before you get it!

I dont know about kick starting it with norethisterone though, sorry (and good luck!)

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 30-Sep-12 09:35:26

www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex-and-relationships/medicines/depo-provera.html

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 30-Sep-12 09:38:47

norethisterone - normally seems to be taken to delay periods but may have other uses too

sinkyroselee Sun 30-Sep-12 09:46:22

You take it for 5-7 days, then once you stop you get a withdrawal bleed- mine was always about a week after stopping.

I took it to induce a period for ov induction (PCOS- no natural cycle).

Were your periods regular prior to contraceptives? It's really common for hormones to mask irregular periods.

whogivesaduck1 Sun 30-Sep-12 22:57:22

no sinkly, I don't think they were very regular. i had the injection for 6mnths and the implant before that for 3yrs. i am a bit of a flake and forgetful, so never really remember how long ago my period was, so never quite sure if it was late or not!

although i am not SO flaky that I would miss 6months worth of periods!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now