Talk

Advanced search

Unable to carry a certain sex!?

(16 Posts)
PipsWife Mon 24-Sep-12 18:11:50

I've recently had a MC and an ectopic and when discussing with friends and family a few people have said 'maybe you can't carry boys'
I have a healthy 16 month old girl and had a lovely pregnacy with her.

As a Nurse myself (but no maternity or gynae experience) I've never heard of this before. Hard to find research I suppose, but would like to hear any anecdotal evidence??

I think I'll go to the medical library at work to read more but until then MN please let me know your knowledge/experiences.

TIA

Mollydoggerson Mon 24-Sep-12 18:13:10

My mother said this about herself, but I don't think there is any scientific basis to it.

cupcake78 Mon 24-Sep-12 18:14:17

I was told the same thing but don't know if there is any scientific backing to it.

squareegg Mon 24-Sep-12 18:19:11

Sorry for your loses.
I think it would only be if it was something genetic on the y.chromosome which resulted in a none viable pregnancy. But that bits down to your partner not you, and i don't think that would have anything to do with ectopic pregnancies. Happy to be corrected though

mynameis Mon 24-Sep-12 18:22:13

Mmm not sure. DH and I had a Ds followed sadly by 3 miscarriages.

EPC suggested as we already had a son that the lost babies were possibly all girls.

Next pregnancy with help from baby aspirin and then clexane resulted in our healthy DD so blowing the EPC theory

Sorry for your loss op

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Mon 24-Sep-12 18:25:13

I'm not sure if there's any science to back it up, but this is a problem my Mum, sister and I have all experienced. My Mum lost twin boys at around 20 weeks, had an ectopic which turned out to be a boy and also mc'd another boy at around 12 weeks. Had my sister first with no problems and me last with none either.

My sister had an awful pg with her ds and had to be in hospital on bedrest for the last 10 weeks, her pg with her dd was fine.

I had one mc prior to dd that was too early to tell, pg with dd was great, and have had a lot of mc afterwards. The one that made it to 11 weeks was a boy, but the others were too early for medical intervention so I don't know.

I'm very sorry for your losses.

AnitaBlake Mon 24-Sep-12 18:29:17

Our family have trouble carrying boys we think. We've managed two in four generations so far on my maternal line. Plenty of healthy girls though. Its only anecdotal but I suspect I've miscarried a few times, I know my mum did and suspect my grandma did too. My mum was very poorly when she carried my brother, we always say we have trouble carrying boys.

sweetkitty Mon 24-Sep-12 18:33:20

Someone said this to me when I had a mc after 2 girls, after the mc I went on to have another girl, I thought it was a really insensitive thing to say to someone who had lost a baby.

Anyway to disprove the theory DS is sitting on the sofa beside me.

BikeRunSki Mon 24-Sep-12 18:40:57

I have a friend who has lost three boys at various stages of pg (one was actually born live at 23 weeks, but only survived a few days) but has a healthy DD.

pebspop Mon 24-Sep-12 18:47:56

after having three mcs and visiting a few consultants I have asked them all about this and they said its not true. there possibly could be a problem with your dna which passes on a problem to boys or girls and means they never developed properly but its unlikely and kartyotyping would rule this out.

try not to worry as its an old wives tale. ask the next person who say it to provide some evidence

PipsWife Mon 24-Sep-12 19:27:16

Thanks for the posts.

It was just as I thought, lots of stories but no real evidence. It is actually quite an insensitive thing to say to someone after loss, isn't it!?

May I ask. How did people know the sex of an ectopic or loss before 20weeks?

TIA

pebspop Tue 25-Sep-12 09:19:30

i had testing done on 8 week mc to see if the baby had genetic problems as it was my third mc. as they test the genetics they can see if it was a boy or girl.

they don't generally do this on first/second mc's unless its a late mc.

PipsWife Tue 25-Sep-12 12:29:38

Thanks pepspop. Sorry for your losses too.

It's just so sad that I think a reason/explanation would help me deal with it.

PipsWife Tue 25-Sep-12 13:39:36

Pebspop blush

AnitaBlake Wed 26-Sep-12 21:52:24

I doubt we'll ever know, but we've so far had 13 live births in four generations, this will hopefully very soon be 14. Of these two have been boys, and its looking like my current pregnancy will also be a girl, so 12 girls in 14 pregnancies over four directly decended women.

I think in some lines it just happens. There's just an awful lot of pink in our family lol.

PipsWife Thu 27-Sep-12 07:36:31

I think it's very interesting.

Can't find any direct research (I suppose it is hard to collect data)
It is also such an emotive subject.

Well husband away until end of Oct so letting my body settle and hope to have the first AF post ectopic soon so on his return time to TTC again! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now