Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

House decorated in early pregnancy - is this a problem?

(9 Posts)
Luggs Tue 10-Jan-06 12:18:23

Can anyone answer my question - having the house decorated next week and worried about possible effects on early pregnancy as I have heard paint fumes can cause problems. Does anyone know if this is the case?

sandybee1 Wed 11-Jan-06 10:26:35

I think there is some issue with lead based paints. I decorated my house myself while pregnant with my DS and he was perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much if you are not actually doing the decorating. just make sure that the rooms are well ventilated.

SnowmAngeliz Wed 11-Jan-06 10:33:06

I think one of the problems is removing old lead based paints as they get dust in the air or something (i think but i could also be talking rubbish!). You can get odourless paint too.

We decorated out first cottage from top to bottom when i was pregnant with dd1.

beejay Wed 11-Jan-06 10:53:48

Highly recommend ECOS paints if you are worried. They are very low in chemicals and hardly smell at all- you can paint a room in the day and then move into it in the evening
Bit more expensive but wide colour range and very easy to use

Homsa Wed 11-Jan-06 11:04:43

I was worried about this too when pregnant and used the ECOS paints! Unfortunately, the paint started peeling off the walls a few months later and was a nightmare to fix, so can't recommend them, especially not for the bathroom! (and yes I did use the special bathroom & kitchen paints!)

I think this is just one of the things we don't know enough about, and I would rather play it safe. Emulsion paints may not be so bad, but I would steer clear of oil-based paints - I once developed muscle twitches after breathing their fumes for hours (not pg at the time). This can't be good for the baby!

Homsa Wed 11-Jan-06 11:05:23

I was worried about this too when pregnant and used the ECOS paints! Unfortunately, the paint started peeling off the walls a few months later and was a nightmare to fix, so can't recommend them, especially not for the bathroom! (and yes I did use the special bathroom & kitchen paints!)

I think this is just one of the things we don't know enough about, and I would rather play it safe. Emulsion paints may not be so bad, but I would steer clear of oil-based paints - I once developed muscle twitches after breathing their fumes for hours (not pg at the time). This can't be good for the baby!

beejay Wed 11-Jan-06 15:05:59

Oh what a shame Homsa. I redecorated whole house with ecos and found them great

beauty1 Thu 12-Nov-15 13:46:42

I declared our whole house in www.nurserypaint.co.uk/ they have voc free paints safe for children and mum. Lovely finish too. Good luck!

beauty1 Thu 12-Nov-15 13:48:27

Decorated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now