Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

House decorated in early pregnancy - is this a problem?

(9 Posts)
Luggs Tue 10-Jan-06 12:18:23

Can anyone answer my question - having the house decorated next week and worried about possible effects on early pregnancy as I have heard paint fumes can cause problems. Does anyone know if this is the case?

sandybee1 Wed 11-Jan-06 10:26:35

I think there is some issue with lead based paints. I decorated my house myself while pregnant with my DS and he was perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much if you are not actually doing the decorating. just make sure that the rooms are well ventilated.

SnowmAngeliz Wed 11-Jan-06 10:33:06

I think one of the problems is removing old lead based paints as they get dust in the air or something (i think but i could also be talking rubbish!). You can get odourless paint too.

We decorated out first cottage from top to bottom when i was pregnant with dd1.

beejay Wed 11-Jan-06 10:53:48

Highly recommend ECOS paints if you are worried. They are very low in chemicals and hardly smell at all- you can paint a room in the day and then move into it in the evening
Bit more expensive but wide colour range and very easy to use

Homsa Wed 11-Jan-06 11:04:43

I was worried about this too when pregnant and used the ECOS paints! Unfortunately, the paint started peeling off the walls a few months later and was a nightmare to fix, so can't recommend them, especially not for the bathroom! (and yes I did use the special bathroom & kitchen paints!)

I think this is just one of the things we don't know enough about, and I would rather play it safe. Emulsion paints may not be so bad, but I would steer clear of oil-based paints - I once developed muscle twitches after breathing their fumes for hours (not pg at the time). This can't be good for the baby!

Homsa Wed 11-Jan-06 11:05:23

I was worried about this too when pregnant and used the ECOS paints! Unfortunately, the paint started peeling off the walls a few months later and was a nightmare to fix, so can't recommend them, especially not for the bathroom! (and yes I did use the special bathroom & kitchen paints!)

I think this is just one of the things we don't know enough about, and I would rather play it safe. Emulsion paints may not be so bad, but I would steer clear of oil-based paints - I once developed muscle twitches after breathing their fumes for hours (not pg at the time). This can't be good for the baby!

beejay Wed 11-Jan-06 15:05:59

Oh what a shame Homsa. I redecorated whole house with ecos and found them great

beauty1 Thu 12-Nov-15 13:46:42

I declared our whole house in www.nurserypaint.co.uk/ they have voc free paints safe for children and mum. Lovely finish too. Good luck!

beauty1 Thu 12-Nov-15 13:48:27

Decorated!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: