Talk

Advanced search

Underactive Thyroid and conception

(4 Posts)
Goldenbrown1981 Thu 20-Oct-11 14:31:16

Hi all

DH and I have been TTC since August. Yesterday I went to the docs about something unrelated and he spotted a swelling on my neck and suggested it could be an underactive thyroid. I'm going in for tests on Tuesday and results a week later. Anyone with this know how it will effect the TTC? I'm thinking we should miss trying this month, as my key time is before the testing, but the internet is such a dodgy place for looking up medical conditions. It's frustrating as well as it may not even be that and then I may have missed TTC this month for no reason.

Any advice?

DrMunkenstein Thu 20-Oct-11 14:44:48

I have an under active thyroid, and untreated it can affect your fertility. But once you start on your medication you'll be fine.

It has no scary effect, so don't panic. But it decreases your chance of conception. So by correcting it you are giving yourself an increased chance of a BFP.

But you needn't stop this month.

DrMunkenstein Thu 20-Oct-11 14:45:46

Sorry that was unclear, the under active thyroid gland itself decreases conception.

The medication is perfectly safe, and once your levels are started your fertility will increase.

Many apologies.

Goldenbrown1981 Fri 21-Oct-11 20:52:29

Thanks Dr, that makes me feel a bit better. Just got so massively stressed when I was told.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now