Talk

Advanced search

Negative pg test after 3 bfps?

(26 Posts)
jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 07:49:09

Hello, after getting bfps on 3 separate tests, I've just had a negative sad, could this be a false neg? Couldn't bear it if not as we've just had icsi and the bfp was the best news ever. Can't stop worrying now and feel sick.

LetTheSlaughterBeGincognito Tue 18-Oct-11 07:54:35

Hi jumping, you know what they say - false negatives are not uncommon. False positives don't happen. Especially not three times! What was the time gap between the tests?

May I suggest you step away from the tests for a bit?

Congratulations smile

jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 09:13:27

Thanks! The bfps were on Thurs & Sat, the neg today. Just can't stop thinking about it, we were so caught up in the thrill. Now do j do another to put my mind at rest either way or just wait until I have a scan in a couple of weeks?

Biscuitsandtea Tue 18-Oct-11 09:14:50

Hi Jumping - I can understand how that would be worrying. There is always the risk that the pg hasn't stuck, although of course I do hope this isn't the case for you. I don't know if you can get a 'chemical' pregnancy with ICSI?

Have you got to the day the clinic told you to test yet? Or are they planning to have you back in for a test? Could you call them to see that they say?

I really hope it is just a faulty test (there must be some tests that are just faulty) but good luck.

ShowOfHands Tue 18-Oct-11 09:17:30

It could be, as Biscuits says, a failing pregnancy but there are many other reasons why it happens. Concentration of urine, dodgy test, user error, different tests having different sensitivities. To name a few.

Repeated testing actually tells you very little sadly. You need to talk to your clinic.

jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 09:19:55

Thanks Show. I'll give them a call this morning. Feel sick to my stomach and just want to cry. It's taken a lot to get this far and the thought of it all not working is just gutting.

jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 09:22:09

Biscuits, we tested on Thursday as instructed by the clinic. I even did 2 different tests - one that they gave me, the other OTC, to be sure. Use a different brand this morning (Clear Blue) to actually see 'pregnant' on the digi screen.

Part of me feels so stupid for doing another test, but I guess if it is a failed pg we might as well know now rather than in a couple of weeks when we've become even more excited at the prospect.

Biscuitsandtea Tue 18-Oct-11 09:27:06

I really hope it isn't failed jumping

Clear blue digitals are notoriously hard to convince - I think they are amongst the least sensitive.

I think I would be tempted to either do a couple of tests tomorrow, different brands if poss, or call the clinic and see if they could do the hcg blood tests for you? Or both?

Good luck xx

SparklyGothKat Tue 18-Oct-11 09:28:15

Clear blue normally need a high level of hcg. What OTC one did you use the other day?

jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 09:32:36

Thanks Sparkly, I used First Response on Thurs and Sat (from different packs) and the other on Thurs was from the clinic. Hoping it's CB being unreliable!

Biscuitsandtea Tue 18-Oct-11 09:36:43

First response are a lot more sensitive than CBDs.

Hope that's all it is!

Maybe try another CBD and another FR tomorrow? Or even just a FR since they gave you the positives before?

Am keeping everything crossed for you xx

farfallarocks Tue 18-Oct-11 09:37:42

jumping first response are extremely sensitive, they picked up my chemical pregnancy when clear blue said not pregnant. I really hope this is not the case for you but I wanted to let you know, the not knowing it what killed me. Either way you should know in a couple of days, if it is a chemical you will start bleeding soon. FX for you.

jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 09:58:26

Can you still get a chem pg with ICSI? Clutching at straws now!

pinkytheshrunkenhead Tue 18-Oct-11 10:06:04

You really need to calm down and stop continually testing - madness lays that way really and having lots and lots of tests will make no difference to the outcome. I am sorry if I sound harsh but you are putting yourself through this for nothing. Have you actually any reasons for thinking it is not all ok?

jumpingjackhash Tue 18-Oct-11 10:12:23

Thanks for the virtual slap pinky! grin I have no other reason to think it's not worked, just my own neuroses now. We've wanted this for so long.

I'm taking the advice and stepping away from the tests. Thanks all.

farfallarocks Tue 18-Oct-11 10:20:15

My advice is different, sorry.

I would do another test tomorrow morning, if you get another negative then i think you can assume its a chemical.

I don;t think its wise to carry on testing when you are getting positives every time but when youg et some negatives, I dunno, you need to know really don;t you?

I think you can still get a chemical with ICSI as the embyro still needs to implant?

Biscuitsandtea Tue 18-Oct-11 10:27:26

I'd be inclined to agree with Farfalla - if you'd got all positives I would say step away from the tests but with that negative I would say test again to find out one way or the other. Ultimately resting isn't going to change the outcome and although it might be hard you will need to know one way or the other.

I think it is possible to get a CP with IVF - I know google is bad but it seems that a cp is where the embryo doesn't implant, so I guess that could happen with ICSI?

I know these aren't the answers you want Jumping but I think you should call the clinic and see what they say and perhaps do another fr test tomorrow?

Incidentally have you found the IVF thread on here? There's a lot of experience on there and if you've not already been there, they're a very helpful bunch.

Good luck xx

Biscuitsandtea Tue 18-Oct-11 10:28:22

Hopefully all will be fine too and it's just that not very sensitive CBD playing tricks on you xx

Biscuitsandtea Tue 18-Oct-11 19:30:29

Did you call your clinic Jumping? Any updates?

jumpingjackhash Mon 24-Oct-11 13:45:19

Hi there all, sorry for not coming back on the thread for a while. Well, on Saturday I woke with cramps and some spotting, the clinic said to go in for a scan and tests and confirmed I'd lost the pregnancy at 5 weeks. Cue very heavy bleeding and lots of heartache.

So, waiting for another consultant's appointment at the end of November then no doubt we'll start over again with another round of ICSI.

Thanks all for your thoughts, advice and support. I am on one of the IVF threads, but wanted to keep my initial panic away from there as I stuck my head in the sand

nearlymumofone Mon 24-Oct-11 13:48:22

jumping had been keeping an eye on this thread. Really sorry to hear your news. xxx

TheLittleFriend Mon 24-Oct-11 13:56:15

I'm so sorry to hear that jumping. Best of luck for the future to you and your dh x

farfallarocks Mon 24-Oct-11 16:45:16

Oh jumping I am so sorry, really I am, I have been there and I know how awful it is, it must be doubly so after assisted conception I can imagine.
hugs

jumpingjackhash Mon 24-Oct-11 16:47:56

Thanks for your wishes, it is really hard but all we can do is deal with it and move on. [trying to be positive emoticon]

Biscuitsandtea Mon 24-Oct-11 16:48:16

I'm so sorry to see that Jumping. Hope you have lots of RL support, and just wanted to wish you luck for the future xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now