Talk

Advanced search

False positive on ovulation sticks

(6 Posts)
TopC Mon 10-Oct-11 20:14:09

Hi ladies, am new on here, just started ttc although I have a little boy who was the result of rather a lot of (unplanned) fun but this is an exciting first for the fella and me.

Just recently came off my pill but am far too impatient and wanted to check I was even ovulating so bought the CB ovulation sticks. Counted 14 days on from last pill and started testing - first day no smiley face, second day solid smiley face. Gave the man his orders and crossed fingers.

But I'm just wondering if actually you can get false positives on these sticks or if there can be other reasons for the smiley face, like your body reacting to coming off the pill or whether I can believe that I am actually already ovulating.

Any experiences much appreciated! I need to stop thinking about it and do some work!

GTR2882 Tue 11-Oct-11 12:03:13

TopC i don't believe that you can get false positives on OPKs as the LH is always present in our systems; what OPKs are looking for is the surge of LH that happens just before the egg is released.

HTH smile

KatAndKit Tue 11-Oct-11 13:00:08

You can't get a false positive as there either is or isn't a surge of hormone.

One thing that can happen is that your body can get fired up to ovulate with the surge of hormones but the egg might not make it out of the starting gates that time.

But generally speaking, once you have had a positive you will be ovulating later that day or the next day.

farfallarocks Tue 11-Oct-11 13:02:10

I think Polycystic ovaries can give you false positives as you have a higher LH level all the time. But assuming that is not the case, it should be pretty accurate!

juneau Tue 11-Oct-11 13:03:36

You can be very fertile straight after you come off the pill, so good luck!

TopC Tue 11-Oct-11 16:20:35

Thanks ladies, much appreciated. I didn't think it was the case but you start thinking all sorts of things when you're trying!
I reread all the instructions too and it said it was 99% so let's just hope the egg didn't make a false start!
fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now