Talk

Advanced search

Call from doctor's office wanting to discuss DH's test results tomorrow...

(11 Posts)
ChateauMargot Mon 10-Oct-11 16:40:51

Does anyone know if this is routine procedure, or do they only ask for a phone chat if a problem is identified in the sample? Just had an email from DH, and although it was brief I can tell that he's worried.

(Background: I've been on Met for the last six months for PCOS; a recent blood test confirmed that I am ovulating, although so far no pregnancy. My endo suggested that DH should be tested too, hence his test taken two weeks ago...)

eurochick Mon 10-Oct-11 17:00:56

I cannot believe that he has not been tested before now! Most surgeries won't go past a couple of blood tests for you without the OH being tested in my experience and from what I have read on here.

My husband had to phone to get his results. Our surgery never calls us.

I don't think you can read anything into this, but bear in mind that even if there is a problem with one or more of his measurements (the test tests several different things usually - volume, count, morphology, motility, ph level, etc) you only need one good swimmer to reach the egg.

ThunderboltKid Mon 10-Oct-11 17:03:34

My consultant wrote to me when there was a problem with DH's sample.

Sorry, not helpful, but it could be anything. Could be to say its fine, there was a technical issue or a problem with the sample. Also, if there is a problem, it might just be temporary. DH had to take vitamins and be retested after 3 months (by which stage the results had drastically improved)

If you're anything like me I know you'll probably panic regardless, but until he's spoken to the doctors you just don't know.

Hope it goes ok for you though.

whereismywine Mon 10-Oct-11 17:05:15

Hope that everything is ok for you. But do remember that one sperm sample does not the whole story tell, they can change A LOT from sample to sample. Both me and euro are on the ttc 10 months thread if you need to ask any more qs about sperms. I'm somewhat of a sperm swot. Good luck.

ChateauMargot Mon 10-Oct-11 17:06:41

Thanks, eurochick.

I've had about half a dozen blood tests so far myself - two because the hospital didn't test the right hormone levels the first time, would you believe! - but we didn't need DH's results for me to go on the Met (if I understand correctly, this would only become a necessity if I were to start Clomid). He also put off making the appointment for a good few weeks as he was really dreading it. To be honest, no one has been on our backs about this - my GP has been pretty useless, and the endo is really mainly interested in my PCOS issues - so it's been left up to us to bite the bullet, as it were...

I shall try to reassure him about the 'one good swimmer' in the meantime!

ThunderboltKid Mon 10-Oct-11 17:08:22

hmm

ChateauMargot Mon 10-Oct-11 17:08:26

Crossed with Thunderbolt and WIMW! Thanks so much for the reassurance. I think vitamins and a cut-down in booze intake may well be on the cards, regardless...

ThunderboltKid Mon 10-Oct-11 17:08:54

Sorry - didn't mean to post that here blush

ChateauMargot Mon 10-Oct-11 17:10:15

Ha ha - I did wonder! smile

ThunderboltKid Mon 10-Oct-11 17:11:28

My DH was dreading the test as well. Results came back with only 1% motile - but even with that I've still managed to get pregnant twice (although two unrelated miscarriages as well)

After the second test (wellman, no hot baths etc) it had risen to 4% - which is still not great, but a big improvement.

Still no luck on a further BFP though - 2 years ttc so far - but PCOS and low sperm mobility is not a great combination smile

ChateauMargot Mon 10-Oct-11 17:21:18

I hear you, TK. As if PCOS wasn't enough, right? We've only been trying for a year (and half of that was without the Met, so I probably wasn't even ovulating), but it already feels like an age. Will keep fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now