Talk

Advanced search

What happens next time?

(6 Posts)
MikaelaL Mon 10-Oct-11 13:34:55

I have recently had a 2nd miscarriage. First was over a year ago at only 5 weeks, this time I found out at my 12 week scan but was told the gestational age was only 8 weeks and 4 days.

What will happen next time I am pregnant? Will I get more scans? Does 2 count for a high risk pregnancy?

I have a ridiculous amount of questions but I think my GP was a bit fed up with me after my 35 minute appoinhtment this morning with my never-ending list of things that are wrong....that and the fact it took me half of that time to stop crying!

Has anyone tried counselling? I have been given some info but am not sure I'll be able to do it...

minipie Tue 11-Oct-11 12:33:43

I don't know the answer to your question but didn't want you to go unanswered. So sorry to hear about your miscarriages. I would have thought you would be monitored more closely next time but don't know. Unmumsnetty hugs to you, and I hope someone can answer you.

farfallarocks Tue 11-Oct-11 12:53:34

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
Sadly 2 MCs is considered 'unlucky' and no testing begins until 3

Depending on your area though you can self refer to a Early Pregnancy Unit for extra scans and reassurance after 2 MCs.

Given that it has taken you over a year to conceive (is that right?) I would be asking the GP for some basic infertility tests and these might throw up a reason for the MCs? For example a thyroid problem?

farfallarocks Tue 11-Oct-11 12:54:53

By the way, I did take myself off for counselling after my first MC as I was constantly tearful and finding it very hard to cope. I only needed 2 sessions and I felt much better (so much so that the 2nd one was easier to cope with)

juneau Tue 11-Oct-11 12:58:04

You can also pay for extra scans at a private clinic, if money isn't an issue. I had a MMC in May 2010 and when I got pregnant again I paid for a scan at 8 weeks to make sure all was well. It was £90, but I decided it was worth paying for the reassurance it gave me that things were going okay at that point.

MikaelaL Thu 13-Oct-11 08:26:41

Thanks all for your replies. I have been phoning a few free counselling organisations with no reply as yet!
Think I might get on to my GP (again) about finding some answers as to a possible cause.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: