Talk

Advanced search

What happens next time?

(6 Posts)
MikaelaL Mon 10-Oct-11 13:34:55

I have recently had a 2nd miscarriage. First was over a year ago at only 5 weeks, this time I found out at my 12 week scan but was told the gestational age was only 8 weeks and 4 days.

What will happen next time I am pregnant? Will I get more scans? Does 2 count for a high risk pregnancy?

I have a ridiculous amount of questions but I think my GP was a bit fed up with me after my 35 minute appoinhtment this morning with my never-ending list of things that are wrong....that and the fact it took me half of that time to stop crying!

Has anyone tried counselling? I have been given some info but am not sure I'll be able to do it...

minipie Tue 11-Oct-11 12:33:43

I don't know the answer to your question but didn't want you to go unanswered. So sorry to hear about your miscarriages. I would have thought you would be monitored more closely next time but don't know. Unmumsnetty hugs to you, and I hope someone can answer you.

farfallarocks Tue 11-Oct-11 12:53:34

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
Sadly 2 MCs is considered 'unlucky' and no testing begins until 3

Depending on your area though you can self refer to a Early Pregnancy Unit for extra scans and reassurance after 2 MCs.

Given that it has taken you over a year to conceive (is that right?) I would be asking the GP for some basic infertility tests and these might throw up a reason for the MCs? For example a thyroid problem?

farfallarocks Tue 11-Oct-11 12:54:53

By the way, I did take myself off for counselling after my first MC as I was constantly tearful and finding it very hard to cope. I only needed 2 sessions and I felt much better (so much so that the 2nd one was easier to cope with)

juneau Tue 11-Oct-11 12:58:04

You can also pay for extra scans at a private clinic, if money isn't an issue. I had a MMC in May 2010 and when I got pregnant again I paid for a scan at 8 weeks to make sure all was well. It was £90, but I decided it was worth paying for the reassurance it gave me that things were going okay at that point.

MikaelaL Thu 13-Oct-11 08:26:41

Thanks all for your replies. I have been phoning a few free counselling organisations with no reply as yet!
Think I might get on to my GP (again) about finding some answers as to a possible cause.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now