Talk

Advanced search

I think i'm having a phantom pregnancy

(9 Posts)
yellowflowers Sun 02-Oct-11 22:21:29

Okay this is ridiculous. A few months ago when my daughter was seven months old I felt like my periods were coming back. I am mix feeding still so wasn't too surprised that even though it felt like they were coming they didn't. 

Now my daughter is nearly ten months. Still no periods but still breastfeeding. 

Thing is I keep feeling little movements in my tummy that I can only describe as being like a baby kicking. 

I've done two pregnancy tests, one six weeks ago and one two weeks ago and both are unambiguously negative. 

In my last pregnancy I was very sick - throwing up three times a day from weeks 7-14. Not feeling sick now. 

Can I explain the 'kicking' as my womb getting back into shape and perhaps my body attempting and failing to ovulate because of the mix feeding?

Oh I've also started feeling a teensy bit dizzy if I've not eaten. And I don't fancy tea in the morning (but do in the evening). 

Also my cervical mucus is a but egg whitey often. Is that a pregnancy thing - I can't remember. 

I know the answer is go to the doctor. But i'd rather not - I feel silly. 

nearlymumofone Mon 03-Oct-11 07:43:14

When I started to wean ds I started getting 'kicking' movements and nausea, it felt like a phantom pregnancy. I thought it was linked to weaning. I was very emotional about stopping breastfeeding. Sorry this isn't a lot of help!!

IslandIsla Mon 03-Oct-11 09:08:18

Since having DD I often had 'kicks' and movement. Since there was no chance of me actually being pregnant I never thought it was that, but it did make me wonder if I'd actually felt DD as much as I thought when I was pregnant with her, and it was actually random muscles twitching!! Incidentally I did breastfeed DD until 2.3yrs and didn't get my periods back until she was 16 months but I didn't relate it to this, just my body being a bit less 'tight' since having her. Maybe it was my fertility trying to restart. The egg white CM does indicate your body is trying to ovulate. I think there is generally a lot of CM when pregnant but not egg white.
So I'd say its pretty normal what you are feeling, and if you have done negative pregnancy tests - you are not pregnant.

yellowflowers Mon 03-Oct-11 19:08:09

Thanks all. I should have made clear we are not TTC, though I would like to in new year so it wouldn't be a disaster. Spent today feeling sick. But this is surely tiredness. Enough of the madness!

HaveALittleFaithBaby Mon 03-Oct-11 22:01:31

I get these symptoms during the tww which I've put down to ibs, it's possible for your bowel to spasm which can feel very real and can be visible from the outside.
It may be worth buying a cheap pack of tests off amazon (they do deals like five for 3 quid) just to test monthly to put your mind at rest!

IslandIsla Tue 04-Oct-11 09:07:20

remember to be feeling kicks you'd probably be at least 12 weeks and showing if its not your first!

TheRealMBJ Tue 04-Oct-11 09:15:07

Hi. Congratulations on still bf your DD. It is certainly not unusual to not have your periods back yet, and the fittest movements you feel may just be your bowels.

Dizziness after a period of not eating (especially when using extra calories to feed your DD) is also completely normal.

Strictly speaking, a phantom pregnancy is one in which the patient is absolutely convinced that they are pregnant despite all evidence that they are not, and then they experience the symptoms of pregnancy psychosomatically. You do not fall into this category.

It doesn't sound as if there are any really worrying symptoms here but if you continue to have vague and undefined symptoms it might be worth having them checked out at the Dr's. However, Id'd probably not mention the phantom pregnancy thing. wink

yellowflowers Tue 04-Oct-11 19:50:42

I mentioned dizziness (but not pregnancy delusions) to gp last week and am meant to have blood tests so when I get round to it I will. No doubt that would show pregnancy anyway.

Cheerfulcharlie Tue 04-Oct-11 19:58:23

You know if your hcg levels are very very high, (I.e if you are far enough on to feel kicks) the pregnancy test can actually show negative because it's SO high. I read this a while ago and a biochemist friend confirmed that's how it works. Maybe try doing a preg test on a very diluted bit of urine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now