Talk

Advanced search

Smoking and drinking

(5 Posts)
winkle2 Sat 01-Oct-11 23:02:55

Has everyone giving up smoking and drinking for TTC purposes?

What about your OH's?

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sat 01-Oct-11 23:25:25

Don't smoke. Smoking seriously effects sperm health and general fertility so it would be wise to stop if ttc.
Couldn't have survived two years still ongoing without wine
I'm trying to exercise regularly, drink moderately and minimise my caffeine intake. But seriously, life's too short!

iloveberries Sun 02-Oct-11 21:28:35

hey winkle - have a little faith is right BUT when we were TTC DS1 i smoked and drank a lot.... mainly because I assumed it would take a yr or so to fall so we decided to just stop using protection but not try- if you know what i mean. As it was i fell the first month (and of course stopped smoking and drinking right away). We are now TTC DC2 and i am still drinking now and again as i agree with have a little faith. I never went back to smoking so don't have to think about that....

all your decision but just wanted to share my experience....

good luck TTCsmile

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 03-Oct-11 16:52:16

I've given up alcohol as we need ivf and they ask if you drink or smoke.

Never smoked but it seriously damages health and people rarely LIVE to regret it. Which makes me sad.

kat2504 Mon 03-Oct-11 18:27:28

If you are knowingly trying to conceive then of course you should both give up smoking. I know only too well that it isn't easy but smoking really does damage eggs and sperm so why sabotage your chances? You are likely to get pregnant quicker if you quit.

As for drinking, life is short and wine is nice, especially a glass or two before sex. If it wasn't for drinking sessions a lot of babies may never have been conceived! But if you are seriously trying to conceive then it is best to stay within the recommended limits. Alcohol abuse will lower a man's sperm count so it will take you longer to get pregnant, and it probably doesn't help women either. No need to give up altogether, just stick to the recommended units.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now