Talk

Advanced search

Finally had my appointment with endocrinologist................

(15 Posts)
shellmc Sat 01-Oct-11 21:54:44

And feel soo much better, she had a real good talk to me, and let me ask as many questions as i liked,..............think she regretting saying that by the time id finished tho!!

I have posted on here few times thinking i was preggers after missed periods/absent periods & long cycles and Weird symptoms.
Had some blood tests done few months back after stopping pill in april and then got a referral from GP after results.
I am currently on thyroxine for underactive thyroid, then my Lh-Fsh results came bk abnormal.
After seeing consultant yesterday she explained she is almost certain i have PCOS, as the results i had is one indictor of it plus long irregular cycles, my last 3 cycles have been 43 Days, 45 Days and currently on Day 47.

I recently visited my GP about Facial hair also as i am developing a beard and moustache!! blush
This also is a sure sign, the only thing i dont have is the cysts on my ovaries after having a scan??
I have been prescribed a cream for hair growth which i am soo happy about!
And she mentioned starting me on Metformin also once my results come back from other tests shes wanting to do.
I struggle with my weight although i do eat fairly healtly and excersise regulary sad she explained that Metformin with help regulate my periods, help lose weight and therfore kick start my ovaries and reduce hair growth.
Just wanting to hear from anyone else in same position as me, or who is on/or has taken Metformin.

Thankyou and sorry for the long post xxx

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 22:06:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 22:07:38

shellmc Sat 01-Oct-11 22:11:55

Hi AnnieOnAMapleLeaf, Thankyou for your reply.

Ohh god really?? I was really thinking this could be a wonder drug for me and get my life back on track!!
Its nice to k now that you managed to lose weight, stop hair growth and got your cycles regulated al with diet.
Im at the very end of my tether tho with diets i have been to 3 different classes in past few months to try and lose weigh altho i have lost a stone since having my DS age 2 i just cant seem to shift anymore!! Iv recently taken up running.............well jogging and really enjoy it, i can see my shape changing and toning but now weight loss! sad

shellmc Sat 01-Oct-11 22:12:11

No weight loss.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 22:26:18

shellmc Sat 01-Oct-11 22:33:10

Ahh i see not really clued up on the GI diet. have heard of it but wasnt sure what it was.
If weight loss is the side affect thats the one for me! smile
Im not sure what i want, to be honest i have had such a long wait for this appointment its taking me ages to get to this stage after soo man trips back and forth to my GP with various problems, then finally got them to run some blood tests and here we are, finally seeing endo and she explained everything to me, i just feel soo relieved that i have answears.
Would they prescribe Metformin Orally usually?? I think it will end up being my GP that will prescribe it after my other results and back next week i dont see endo now again till march sad

shellmc Sat 01-Oct-11 22:33:54

Are you diabetic?? I have read that Metformin is usually a drug used to treat diabetes. I am abit confused.

LadyMaybe Sat 01-Oct-11 22:40:36

Don't panic about the metformin, I've been on it for ages and have no problems with it. It does regulate my periods, they're a steady 27 days when I'm on it and irregular and long when I'm not. My lh/fsh ratio is also more even.
You need to build the metformin up v gradually, and avoid fatty foods when you're building up on it. Your gp should tell you to take 1 pill for a week then 2, then 3 if you're going onto 1500mg a day, but if you need to then stretch that longer to build up. I used a pill cutter to build up in halves. Take them with food, and I'd start with dinner, then dinner and breakfast, then add in lunch.
I'm pregnant at the moment btw, still on the metformin and hoping for a good outcome this time around - it's good to have a diagnosis as if you do fall pg they'll watch carefully for gestational diabetes. Unfortunately pcos carries an elevated mc risk. But if it's any comfort I've got a DS who was also conceived on metformin and the pg had no complications. Well done on getting the cream, my gp refused to prescribe it for some reason. Good luck and don't despair! Oh btw, low gi diet is also a good idea, just don't dismiss the metformin too - it's worth perservering with IMO.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Sat 01-Oct-11 22:41:21

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sat 01-Oct-11 22:54:43

Shell I'm glad you got the answers you wanted. I know you've posted a few times. Glad the expert was supportive.
I know the lack of cysts is confusing but apparently you can have pcos without the cysts. A 'syndrome' basically means a condition with certain symptoms, you have to have x amount of symptoms to add up to a syndrome. You can also have polycystic ovaries without pcos!
Might be time to decide whether you're going to ttc or not now? As the treatments start to help you should find your fertility improved. If you want to try, you're in a better position. If you don't you need to talk to OH about contraceptives! as I've said before, withdrawal method isn't really a form of contraception!
I hope you see a real improvement with your cycle and general health. All the best for the future.

shellmc Sun 02-Oct-11 21:29:51

Hiya LadyMaybe Thankyou nice to hear of others experiences on Metformin, i guess i wont know if it will agree with me untill i have tried, i didnt really get given an option to be honest just the consultant said Metformin is a drug that will hekp regulate periods, help me lose a bit ov weight and overall change my life!! Sounded like a life saver to me ha haa.
Thanks for the advice re: avoiding fatty foods, and when to take the medication.
I do have a DS already i am very lucky as since having him iv had these re-occuring problems. We would like another DC in the future and soo will be nice to know that once my periods are regulated and my results are a bit better i may beble to concieve again.
The consultant recommended the cream and wrote out a prescription for me which i had to take to Gp surgery to have made into a proper prescription if ya know what i mean?? ....gotta pick it up tomorrow so will see if its there.

AnnieOnAMaple I do have family history of Diabetes just hope im lucky enough to prevent inheriting it. So with PCOS is it a insulin problem that causes it?? I dont really understand?

HaveALittleFaithBaby hello again, thanks for your continous replys and support smile Yeh the endo said that in the past she has diagnosed many wemon with PCOS without having cysts showing on an ultrasound. She says she doesnt tend to use ultrasound scan as a diagnosis for PCOS.
I am going to wait to see what the other results are for the tests iv had done and get an appointment with my own GP about Metformin, and see if i can get put on the pill for now till i am sorted and my periods are regulated......only thing is i was on cerazette before and had frequent spotting or no periods at all......how will it work me being on the pill again and on Metformin if im trying to regulate my periods obv the pill is gonna stop my periods will it not???

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sun 02-Oct-11 21:42:57

Yeah I'm not sure going on cerazette will help you regulate your periods. Any contraceptive pill works by stopping you releasing an egg so if you took moral pill it's not a real period, just a withdrawal bleed when you break. I took cerazette and I had light bleeds about every 4 weeks but it's not like having a true period either. See what the docs say but they may advise against taking a pill if you're trying to regulate your menstrual cycle.

eurochick Mon 03-Oct-11 17:18:03

I didn't think you could use the cream if you are trying to conceive? Or are you not at the moment?

If you want to understand more about PCOS I recommend The PCOS handbook by Colette Harris (available on Amazon). It really helped me to understand the condition.

shellmc Mon 03-Oct-11 20:55:03

I will have to discuss with my GP re: the pill and which one will be best?? While trying to get my periods regulated!!
eurochick no you cant use the cream while ttc, but we arnt, im wanting to get sorted and get my body bk to normal!!!
Thanks for the advice about the book i will take a little look-i do need clued up on what to expect ect. Thanks again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now