Talk

Advanced search

leftover clomid?

(24 Posts)
missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 12:36:42

I know i'm going to get slated for asking but just wanted to know if anyone had any leftover clomid pills? also posted this in pregnancy topic

I'm currently on 50mg of clomid (supervised) and consultant wants me to do 3 months of 50mg before she'll even think about a higher dose but as i'm being monitored I thought if anyone had any leftover clomid pills (ie got a 3 month prescription but fell pregnant 1st or 2nd month) I don't want to buy them online as that is a very dangerous game!

I know it sounds crazy but if i'm being monitored what harm can it do?

please message me if u have any and we can talk smile

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 12:45:32

oh I must add I have pocs and that I've done 1 month of 50mg without even ovulating so I genuinely believe I need 100mg, if there is anyone who can help me i'll be forever in your debt!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 25-Sep-11 13:47:23

Miss D

You are acting as your name suggests; please don't use any leftover clomid pills. Talk instead to your consultant about the feasibility of upping the dose to 100mg under this person's supervision along with discussing other lines of treatment after clomid. It is vitally important that the three of you can work as a team.

Clomid is actually quite powerful stuff and am glad to read that you are being monitored whilst on it (they ought to do both blood tests and ultrasounds). An increased dosage as well may not actually work out; clomid's main and only job is to make the ovaries work harder.

Its not always suitable for PCOS patients either even though it is the first line of treatment usually offered to such women. Clomid can increase levels of LH and impede fertilisation (yet another reason why a self increased dosage is not at all a good idea. Your cons would rightly hit the roof if you decide to self medicate in such a manner).

Clomid is usually given for a max of six months after which time other treatments are tried. Other ways forward post clomid are injectible drugs and ovarian diathermy surgery.

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:05:45

yes i'm acting as my name suggests! blush I talked to my consultant about a higher dose but she keeps saying I have to have 3 months of 50mg before she can up the dose (which I know is not right as if after the first month if it's not made you ovulate they will give 100mg to see if that works)

I have have follicle tracking and 21 day blood tests (had all other test before starting clomid all of which came back normal) so I am being monitored closely

I see it as if the 50mg is not making me ovulate then I'm now gonna waste the next 2 months on it before they will even consider a higher dose and as I'm only allowed it for 6 months then half that time is gone and I can't get it back

I have done alot of thinking/research about this and there is no way I would ever buy clomid online as it's so dangerous but thought if I had just 1 month of 100mg to see if I can ovulate (scans/bloods/ovulation tests)
I would tell my consultant that I took 100mg when I go for my follicle tracking next and hope that she would give me 100mg next cycle

I know this is crazy to ask but i'm only looking for 1 cycle to see/prove that I can ovulate, obviously there is no guarantee that I would get pregnant even if I do ovulate but I just need to start ovulating! I'm only young as can't believe I'm having such problems sad

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 14:11:58

Change consultant if you do not trust the approach the current one makes.

I am 39 with FSH of 25 and really scared that I will never have a child of my own. So I know your pain!!

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:14:54

should also add that i've had loads of bloods to check everything and both a lap & dye and hysteroscopy and everything came back good (tubes/womb/lining) but have small cysts on my ovaries that are polycystic

so I have had every test going been TTC for 4 years and clomid was the last option for me but don't understand why she will not try me on a higher dose if 50mg didn't make me ovulate, surely that's not right?? she told me I'm not at risk of hyperstimulation last appointment after asking for 100mg but she still won't give me a higher dose confused

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 14:17:54

How difficult it is for you to switch to a different consultant?

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:18:58

It's taken me 4 years to get this far (clomid) so I'm very scared to change hospitals (my consultant is the only one in my nearest hospital that I've been going to since I was born!) what if I have to go through all the same tests again and wait another 4 years I just can't go through all that again, just wished she would listen to me after all I do know my body and can't face another scan saying I have no viable follicles sad

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:20:47

X posts ^

I know it's only another 2 months to wait and i'm pretty certain she'll up my dose then but if 50mg is clearly not working what's the point of taking another 2 months?!

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 14:25:04

If I were you thinking that valuable time is being wasted, I would take the notes and all the test results (I think you are entitled to have copies of those free of charge) and take all the paperwork to a private consultant for a second opinion. It is usually very easy to set a private consult and 150GBP is not that much on the grand scale of things.

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:29:27

I know that makes sense but just want my consultant to listen to me she has been there through everything that has happened to me, and if someone takes pity on me knowing that I am being monitored and I can have 1 month of 100mg then my cons will know I need 100mg
I know all this is very crazy blush

puddock Sun 25-Sep-11 14:34:14

I sympathise with you, but please listen to Attila. What you have in mind is a bad idea.
My experience might give you some encouragement - I have PCOS-related fertility problems and was prescribed, like you, 50mg of clomid for 3 months, then they would look at upping it to 100mg. I argued, and was utterly convinced that these 3 months would be a waste of time (I had only responded to 100mg in the past). I conceived my son on the second cycle at 50mg.
Can you wait until the scans / 21 day bloods have happened for this cycle, then talk to your consultant again if they show you're not ovulating? Ask for her to explain to you what the reasoning behing continuing with an apparently insufficient dose is.
Good luck to you.

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:41:24

I really do hope that this is the case puddock and it just takes a while to get in my system, I did say to cons that if next month If I have not ovulated again can I try the 100mg and her response was 'as you have another 2 months of 50mg it's best to take them before I give you 100mg'
sigh it's just so hard!! sad

bamboostalks Sun 25-Sep-11 14:42:20

Nobody would want to take the responsibilty of sending you unprescribed heavy duty meds. Good Luck but act sensibly. You could end up with a multiple pregnancy and very tragic consequences.

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:45:45

I know they won't but thought I would ask anyway, I've had tragic consequences without drugs! I'm just miss desperate

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 14:50:09

but I am being monitored and I will tell cons exactly what i've done if anyone out there does have any left over please message me privately and we can sort something out and I will cover cost ect...

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 15:15:23

missdesperate you really need to trust your consultant and your consultant needs to know that you are not doing those things behind her back.
please don't give it a knee-jerk reaction, stay calm <strokes hair>. this fertility shit is capable of driving people bonkers. i am there right now. <looks at herself in the mirror and confirms her findings>

sallyandrews Sun 25-Sep-11 15:18:58

I think approaching this rationally and calmly will get the best result. If you obtain extra clomid and take it without the consultants backing, she may feel that it best not to continue with treatment. You could damage the working relationship, and won't be trusted with medication in future.

Have you asked her the reasons why she wants you to stay on the same dosage for now? If you know her logic, you can form a counter argument.

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 15:22:31

agree with sally you losing consultant is a very real possibility here.

PenguinsAreThePoint Sun 25-Sep-11 15:28:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 25-Sep-11 20:28:18

Miss D

I do sympathise; I have PCOS as well (was diagnosed with it a decade or so ago now).

As mentioned before clomid is really powerful stuff and is not always suitable for all PCOSers to take. I was not able to take clomid at all; the cons said it wouldn't help me. In view of this I can see why she is doing 3 months at 50mg before proceeding. An increased dosage will not necessarily make you ovulate either and quite apart from that I think she'll do her nut if you told her you self medicated with extra clomid.

Please do not jeopardise your relationship with the cons by self medicating with spare clomid pills. If you self medicate she will likely refuse to treat you further. After 4 years this is not what you need.

Do speak to your cons asap and actually also ask her about whether you are a candidate for ovarian diathermy surgery. That's another possible option for you. I would not want anyone to go through any more surgery than necessary (you've already had a lap and I wonder why they did that in view of PCOS) but it has had a measure of success for some PCOS patients in terms of kickstarting ovulation and pregnancy.

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 20:49:17

I had the lap to check my tubes and to diagnose pocs, I have mild pocs apparently and don't have the syndrome just the ovaries are polycystic so I don't need ovarian drilling she said

I've never had a problem falling pregnant up till now (last 4 years) so frustrating!!

bemybebe Sun 25-Sep-11 20:54:34

I presume they did exclude male factor infertility...

missdesperate Sun 25-Sep-11 21:00:53

yeah DP has been check and is all good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now