Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got high prolactin levels and TTC???

(13 Posts)
flixy102 Sun 25-Sep-11 10:57:50

Hey there.
Been lurking for a while but can't seem to find too many people on here TTC with high prolactin levels.
I've known I've had high levels (unsure of exact level) for 5 years now (got diagnoses cos of irregular then absent periods and eventually - tmi - leaking boobs). Had MRI scan for tumour which thankfully came back clear. Have been seeing endocrinologist every year but they're not really interested in treatment until I'm ready to try for a family - which is now!!!!!! DH and I started trying in June after I came off the pill.
Have read a good bit about what treatments are available but don't no anyone who has gone through it so if anyone has any experiences similar to mine all advice appreciated!

SlightlyBabyCrazed Sun 25-Sep-11 11:26:53

Hi, similar situation, endo couldn't find any real reason for high levels, other than possible PCOS. Anyway, they have precribed me with cabergoline which I take half a tablet a week, which brought my levels down almost instantly to "normal" levels - 252 was my last reading - still not preggo though, but that aspect is kind of fixed and was pretty easy!

Due to this whole PCT budget business the endo wouldn't give me the prescription so I had to wait for him to write to my gp to then do the prescription -I think it is an expensive drug as my chemist doesn't stock it and I have to order ahead, they won't give me more than 4 tablets at a time.

Good luck to you x

flixy102 Sun 25-Sep-11 12:01:24

Thanks so much for the positive response! smile I've been a bit doom and gloom about it lately and DH bless him, well he tries but doesn't really get the whole female reproduction thing!
Good luck for a future bfp!

Flickstar Sun 25-Sep-11 19:03:51

Hi there, a bit random but Tess Daly suffered from high prolactin levels. I read it in her baby diaries book. I can't remember much about what it said other than she was successfully treated and now has two lovely girls. Might be worth a google?

flixy102 Sun 25-Sep-11 19:07:58

Cheers flixstar ( great name by the way!) will have a wee google now.
smile

flixy102 Sun 25-Sep-11 19:08:49

flickstar sorry!

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sun 25-Sep-11 21:02:22

We're the opposite, dh does and he's waiting to see an endocrinology doc. In men it causes low libido and poor sperm count.
All I've read about it suggests it's very treatable. Do you know what's causing yours?

flixy102 Mon 26-Sep-11 08:41:40

Haven't had too many investigations yet apart from MRI which showed no tumour so hoping it turns out to be 'just one of those things' and can be treated with meds. Hoping it's not linked to pcos or something similiar although I do have some of the symptoms.
My dad has discovered in the past couple of months that he has high prolactin levels (purely by chance-he had a stroke and they found a large pituitary tumour during an MRI.) They say he's had it at least 30 years but he didn't have any symptoms. (I'm 28 so that says something about his fertility!)
Have next endo appointment in march so hopefully by then will make some movement with fertility matters.
All the best for a bfp in the future!!

popcorn78 Mon 26-Sep-11 10:12:06

Hi flixy

Just wanted to add something, a friend of mine has a very similar history to you. She also had high prolactin causing absent periods, whilst ttc. She was given an MRI scan and put on medication, eventually she conceived naturally. It all took a while to get going but once her cycle kickstared she became pregnant almost immediately. She also had pcos. It's a bit of a potted history but I thought you might find it reassuring.

flixy102 Mon 26-Sep-11 10:26:17

Thanks popcorn it's always good to hear of success stories. I keep thinking in a few years I'll look back and wonder what all the worry was about! It's just hard when your in limbo waiting for appointments and not knowing exactly what's going to happen.

Luce2006 Tue 27-Sep-11 18:32:33

Hi Flixy102 I found out in November 2010 that I had high prolactine levels after TTc for almost a year withouth success. I was given an MRI scan and they found a small tumor. I was put on Cabergoline in February and by June my levels had gone back into the normal range. Soon after I stopped the medication I got pregnant but sadly had a mc at 6 weeks. That was in August ,I then got pregnant soon after the mc and I'm now 6 weeks.

flixy102 Tue 27-Sep-11 20:45:51

Luce2006 congratulations on your pregnancy! Always nice to hear success stories I hope I can start on treatment soon and get my BFP!!!

simcere Fri 21-Oct-11 15:04:27

I had level of 856 on first test and 560 on 2nd. I was told by the doctor that this is high but not high enough to worry about or treat.
Do you think this is stopping me getting preggo? I have been ttc for 3 years (inc 1 miscarriage).
All the best to everyone xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now