Talk

Advanced search

Sitting here with 2 tests, one BFN and one BFP. HELP!

(16 Posts)
verycherry82 Wed 21-Sep-11 17:40:11

Exactly as the title says really! AF was due on Monday, I tested on Saturday (a but early I know) and got a BFN, tested on Monday and got a BFN with a Clearblue Plus (supposed to show 4 days before AF is due), tested today with the 2nd Clearblue Plus as I felt ever so slightly (and I really mean ever so slightly) queasy and got a BFN, tested about an hour later with a First Response and got a not really that faint BFP.

Thoughts please ladies!!! I googled false positives with first response tests and there were lots of stories about them so am too scared to even get remotely excited!

HaveALittleFaithBaby Wed 21-Sep-11 19:36:14

Ok the FR is highly sensitive, the cb is not very sensitive. So....it is more likely the positive FR is correct and you are preggers! I'd suggest testing with a sensitive test in the morning with first morning urine. Sounds good!

sneakybeak Wed 21-Sep-11 19:37:41

I don't think it's possible to get a false positive is it?

Fingers crossed for you!

TomboyWife Wed 21-Sep-11 19:53:53

It is theoretically possible to get a false positive, but they're very rare. If you've had any kind of a line, especially round about the time AF is due, it's a very good sign that it's good news.

(Sometimes you can test positive and then test negative -- this indicates a chemical pregnancy, i.e. a pregnancy that fails to establish itself and is lost almost immediately -- but cross that bridge when you come to it.)

Try again tomorrow morning as HaveALittleFaith suggests. If the line's darker, that's very promising.

Mama5isalive Wed 21-Sep-11 20:26:14

try again tomorrow with FMU!!!!!! fingers all crossed for a dark line BFP!!!!!!!
i know its hard but after a good or sleepless night POAS!!!

missorinoco Wed 21-Sep-11 20:28:36

My faint positive then negative test is now 7 months old and trying to crawl. But test again for your own peace of mind.

starsintheireyes Wed 21-Sep-11 20:31:38

If you look at the boxes it will say how much mlu it measures, eg 10, 20, 25 etc, basically the lower the level, the more sensitive the test and the earlier you can get a positive, so for example if you took a 20mlu one and it came back negative, then a 10mlu and it was positive, you would be pregnant.
Hope that helps smile

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 21-Sep-11 20:36:21

If it were the other way around and you had a + on a clear blue and a negative first response, I would say you were probably not pregnant (having had 3 false positives on clear blue this week, yes, they were really clear lines, and I'm def. Not pregnant as no other test has shown a line, and also 2 other clear blue were negative also)
Good news is I have only ever seen one false positive on first response in 10 years of browsing the testing boards of fertility friend where loads of people post their tests every single day, so I say ignore the clear blue and trust the first response. Congratulations!

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 21-Sep-11 20:37:53

Btw, sensitivity wise The new 6 day early first response is 15miu, and clear blue is 25miu. Another really good sensitive test is superdrug own brand which is 10miu and very very cheap!

starsintheireyes Wed 21-Sep-11 20:47:39

If it helps anyone, you can buy the testing strips on ebay for ridiculus prices-eg 30 tests for £4 and they are the super sensitive 10mlu ones. All 3 of my pregnancys were confirmed with these and you dont feel guilty at all if you test everyday because their so cheapsmile

starsintheireyes Wed 21-Sep-11 20:49:37

Theyre the same as the ones used in hospitals wink

verycherry82 Wed 21-Sep-11 21:06:36

Thank you so much everyone! Rogersmell, that is very useful information thank you! So sorry about your false BFPs, I hope you get a real positive very soon!

I will test again in the morning and see what happens and then will get a superdrug test as well to be on the safe side.

verycherry82 Thu 22-Sep-11 07:02:02

The plot thickens! I did the 2nd first response test at 5am this morning after being awake all night and although it showed a positive the line was much lighter than before. What does that mean? Are my levels decreasing and it's a chemical pregnancy? I feel so anxious! If I make a drs appointment, will their test be any different or will they just tell me to wait and test again in a week?

AmandaCooper Thu 22-Sep-11 08:02:17

Yay congratulations stop stressing and go to the doctors. Pg tests are not a precise art.

AmandaCooper Thu 22-Sep-11 08:04:05

When I say "stop stressing" of course I mean "start stressing and continue for the rest of your life" lol.

WishingIWasLucky Thu 22-Sep-11 12:03:14

Verycherry. Congratulations! Fx for your sticky BFP here!
grin grin grin Amanda you make me laugh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now