Talk

Advanced search

ERPC after miscarriage?

(6 Posts)
SouthvilleBeeHive Wed 21-Sep-11 11:09:47

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place...
I thought I was 8 weeks pregnant, but after some spotting, went to EPC last Friday to be told that the pregnancy appeared to have stopped growing at 5 weeks. There was no yolk or baby in the sac, but that I should come back in a week (Friday coming) to have another scan to confirm. If needed, I would stay in to have an ERPC.
Since then, I am obviously miscarrying, but I don't know if that means I will still need the ERPC or if my body has cleared everything out by itself. I know sometimes things don't all come away cleanly, but I wondered if anyone else had any knowledge/experience of how often nature doesn't quite manage the full job, iyswim.
Sorry if this brings up unhappy memories for anyone sad
Thanks...

kat2504 Wed 21-Sep-11 11:28:43

I'm very sorry to hear of your miscarriage smile It's a horrible thing to go through and I hope it will be over for you soon.

You'd get more responses on the miscarriage section but I'll tell you what I know anyway.
I think when you go back and tell them you have been miscarrying naturally, they may rescan you to see if the ERPC is necessary or if the miscarriage has completed itself naturally. Some people do have "retained products" (awful phrases that the hospital uses) left and need an ERPC, but this is more likely when you are a bit further on.
If you have any worries or doubts about what is happening with you, give the EPU a ring and they should be able to answer your questions. Otherwise turn up as expected to your appointment.
By the way, it isn't necessary to have an ERPC. If you don't like the idea you can wait it out naturally if you have no signs of infection or ask for medical management. It is a personal choice of course.

Wishing you a speedy physical recovery and hope you are getting plenty of support at home

kat2504 Wed 21-Sep-11 11:29:04

Sorry wrong smiley sad Fingers all thumbs today.

SouthvilleBeeHive Wed 21-Sep-11 12:26:35

Thanks for the support and answer Kat. Probably just being thick but couldn't find a miscarriage thread under any of the headings!
Thankfully, I'm very lucky and have great support, but we're due to go on holiday on Monday, and had hoped that things might be over by then. Not sure I'd be comfortable waiting for the medical option when in another country, but equally would rather not have any sort of surgery unless absolutely necessary. I guess it's a waiting game!
Tee hee on the wrong smiley ;)

SouthvilleBeeHive Wed 21-Sep-11 12:31:32

Doh! Just trawled the headings more thoroughly and found the miscarriage threads! Not where I expected! Hey ho...moving over...

kat2504 Wed 21-Sep-11 12:31:35

Oh shit what awful timing with your holiday. If you do have the ERPC on Friday then you will probably be ok to go away on Monday, but you will still be bleeding, possibly quite a bit. Hopefully nature will have run it's course by Friday and you will not need it. You are highly likely to still be bleeding next week though whatever happens. If you are pretty certain you have passed the worst of it already (you would know if this is the case) then by next week it will probably have tapered off to fairly lightish. It can go up and down for a couple of weeks.
Make sure you are aware of medical facilities near your holiday and your travel insurance is valid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now