Talk

Advanced search

Sorry! Yet another "when should i test" post!

(11 Posts)
verycherry82 Mon 19-Sep-11 15:31:41

DP and I are ttc number 2 and have been for about 3 months. AF is due today although nothing yet! I did a test on Saturday and got a BFN (it wasn't an early response test, just a basic boots one). Is it worth doing another one today or should I try and hold out for a bit longer? I have no symptoms of pg or of impending AF.

What do people think?

PopcornMouse Mon 19-Sep-11 15:44:18

Do you have regular AF? If so, it's looking good! I'd give it a day or two (or rather, I'd recommend you do, I'm not sure I'd be able to wait) and then test again ;)

verycherry82 Mon 19-Sep-11 15:47:08

Generally I do but have kind of convinced myself that if I were pregnant the test on Saturday would have picked it up and that really AF is just late!! I'm going food shopping in a bit and am hoping I can resist buying another test and give it another few days!

Thank you for the positivity though!!

kat2504 Mon 19-Sep-11 15:57:53

Cheapo internet tests? I'd test every morning but that can get kind of obsessive and will not prevent your period arriving if you just ovulated late.

Expensive shop tests? Definitely wait a few days.
For what it's worth (and I have definitely compared all the different brands quite thoroughly!!) I would not recommend the Boots tests. Superdrug will give you an earlier result. Boots have given me negatives in the past when the other shops gave a faint but clear positive.
Superdrug tests have a nice dark purple dye and are pretty much as good as First Response in my opinion (and research!)

verycherry82 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:05:54

Yet even more encouragement!! Maybe I'll buy a first response one to be on the safe side and test tomorrow morning. Although i feel like i will be tempting fate masisvely to do that! Oh god, have even convinced myself my runny nose is a symptom!

dontcarehow Mon 19-Sep-11 16:07:53

what about tesco ones? I'm on day 39 of only my first cycle off the pill, (I think, first AF was 39 days ago) and I don't know whether its just a long cycle or not. Did tests at day 30 and 37, both negative. but no sign of anything yet, no PMS. Not sure what is going on.

kat2504 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:12:21

Tescos have come up middling on my research. They are not as sensitive as Superdrug though but they do have nice dark dye so you don't have to do the squinty is it a line thing.
First Response are very reliable but the dye is a light pink. This time round I got a positive about 10dpo and I could see it was positive but it was a very light colour.
Stay away from Predictor. Their five day early claim is a lie in my experience and it gave me a negative when FR and Superdrug and cheapies were positive.

I have clearly spent far too much on sticks in the last year or so (first two tries were early mc, on third time hopefully lucky now). In my defence I normally only do shop tests when i have had what I think looks like a faint line on the cheapies. But the lines on those are so faint at first that I needed to do 25 tests for confirmation blush

verycherry82 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:15:09

I'm going to Sainsburys not Tescos. I know I won't be able to resist getting one, I don't know why I'm pretending I could.

It's so confusing isn't it?? I guess if you've just come off of the pill it could take a while to get back to normal. Maybe test again in a couple of days just to make sure? Are you ttc number 1?

verycherry82 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:29:38

Goodness Kat, you sound as if you know your stuff! Congratulations on the BFP. How far along are you? Fingers crossed it is 3rd time lucky for you.

kat2504 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:33:03

yeah, I have done quite a lot of testing!!

I'm 10+4 now, this is the furthest I have ever got smile

happyforthemostpart Tue 20-Sep-11 10:55:20

hey verrycherry - i would stay away from sainsburys tests - quite renowned for giving false positives (which is just a very faint evaporation line but leads a lot of women to think it's a pregnancy line)....

congrats Kat2504 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now