Talk

Advanced search

Convinced I'm infertile...for no real reason :/

(14 Posts)
Buddhagirl Tue 13-Sep-11 22:12:50

I know its utterly ridiculous because ive never tried to concieve, but I'm convinced I'm infertile. Logically I know that it takes a good year of trying to get to that conclusion. And the odd time of not remembering to take the pill and being late, then doing a pregnancy test and it being negative does not count. But I still I have this huge worry that I think over time has manifested into a half solid belief.

My mum and dad tried for 17 years TTC before I came along (she was 41, I'm an only child) and I worry its genetic :/
Any ideas if infertility is genetic? Do you guys think its a legitimate worry or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks people

AmandaCooper Tue 13-Sep-11 22:44:52

I'm sure there's a reason why you're feeling this way but that doesn't mean it's true. First of all I think we should take this conversation somewhere else on mumsnet though, because this isn't really a conception issue. Maybe get MN to move it into health or something? I'd be happy to talk it through with you there.

AmandaCooper Tue 13-Sep-11 22:47:22

Most fertility problems are not hereditary anyway, have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns?

AmandaCooper Tue 13-Sep-11 22:54:49

Also, why don't you come and join the waiting to try for a baby thread in this forum?

Buddhagirl Tue 13-Sep-11 23:06:13

Amanda- Have not found that thread, I will search for it.
I didn't realise this was in the wrong place :/ Surely it's a conception issue? Idk. Who is MN?

AmandaCooper Tue 13-Sep-11 23:40:31

MN is shorthand for Mumsnet. It's not the wrong place as such, but the waiting thread for example might be a good place to discuss this concern, seeing as you haven't started trying yet. We're a friendly bunch.

LadyMaybe Wed 14-Sep-11 01:42:01

I think a lot of women have this fear before they start to try. Especially those with more awareness of the issue, either by knowing someone who had problems or just through various media reports.

Some fertility issues might be inherited, such as a predisposition to PCOS for example. PCOS in itself doesn't mean you are infertile - lots of women have PCOS and conceive without problems, but for some it can interfere with ovulation which can cause difficulties without some sort of intervention.
It may be that some physiological things could be inherited too.

Without concentrating too much on your mother's problems, do you have any reason to think you might have any problems with your cycle etc? Ovulatory problems are the most common causes for women, alongside physical things like blocked tubes, endometriosis or problems allowing the sperm to enter the uterus in the first place.

I think it's worth remembering that although these sorts of boards probably heighten awareness of problems (because people tend to only seek advice about problems), subfertility affects only about 1/5 to 1/6 couples. And of those couples, it's not always the woman who has the problem (the Lister clinic lists 30% female factor, 30% male factor, 20% male & female, 20% undiagnosed).

If you're thinking of start to TTC, you could always make an appt with your GP or find a drop-in Midwife service (they're often at Early Start centres) and discuss your plans. If you've got any specific worries about irregular cycles, then raise them.

farfallarocks Wed 14-Sep-11 09:04:58

Everyone thinks this before they start trying, totally normal fear to have especially as you spend years trying not to get pregnant!

LibrarianAli Thu 15-Sep-11 09:35:29

I have to confess that I have exactly the same fear - my mum took 8 years to get pregnant with me (with every intervention available on the NHS in the 70's, she even was under the care of Patrick Steptoe who invented test tube babies)

I didn't realise that every one feels that way until they get their two little lines so now it's just a case of chilling out, learning how my body works and doing plenty shagging.

violetwellies Thu 15-Sep-11 09:49:49

I was convinced I was infertile & it actually took 6 years to conceive I did have fibroids tho.

violetwellies Thu 15-Sep-11 09:55:47

I was convinced I was infertile & it actually took 6 years to conceive I did have fibroids tho.

violetwellies Thu 15-Sep-11 09:57:03

Sorry, bloody iphone

LIG1979 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:37:21

Hello Buddhagirl,
Do you have regular cycles (27-35 days long) when not taking the pill/implant? If yes, then the chances are you are fine. (Taking the pill masks irregular periods since the period is just a pretend one on the pill.)

I thought I was infertile as I had never had a pregnancy scare despite being very lax with taking the pill for 15 years. Turns out I have PCOS and irregular periods but I did not find this out till stopping the pill back in November. (1st cycle was fine but after that things went downhill.)

I would suggest stopping the pill/implant (if on it)and see what happens. If you get regular cycles then there is a good chance you will be ok. Good luck x

Buddhagirl Thu 15-Sep-11 11:34:55

Thanks everyone. I feel much better about this already smile
I have always had regular cycles. Been on contraception for years now so I am hoping they have not gone haywire since I was younger. DP and I have agreed to use condoms for a while while I come off contraception and see what happens with my cycle. So I think once I have my periods back properly I will feel more confident. Your all stars!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now