Talk

Advanced search

Any advice how soon after Mirena removal it's safe to get pregnant?

(6 Posts)
Maxima9 Tue 13-Sep-11 15:17:51

I had a missed miscarriage at week 11; conceiving on my 2nd cycle after removing Mirena which I had for 5.5 years. Prior to Mirena I had two normal healthy pregnancies and 2 lovely children. My gynaecologist reassured me when I had the device removed that it is safe to fall pregnant straight away. Yes, fertility returns straightaway but could my uterus sustain the pregnancy?

Has anybody else had similar experience?
Any advice how long or how many cyclesto wait until the uterus recovers and it’s safe to ttc?

mandoo Tue 13-Sep-11 15:22:21

My G.P also told me that it was safe to get pregnant straight away. I fell pregnant on the forth month after I had it removed. Had it in for 3 1/2 years. Am now 6 months and had no probs (as yet)

sleepevader Tue 13-Sep-11 15:25:47

We Ttc immediately and it still took about 3 months.

As doctor has said okay then I would start asap.

Good luck!

shavmcv Fri 16-Sep-11 16:38:15

Hi maxima smile

I got my mirena out yesterday to ttc number 2 . My nurse assured me it was perfectly safe to start straight away .

Good luck trying grin

Maxima9 Sat 17-Sep-11 13:14:08

Thank you for your advice. Good luck with ttc no 2 shav. I sincerely wish it will work work out fine. I didn't think about it twice either as my gyne dr said it is absolutely safe. I have my reservations now after I googled a lot about mirena and miscarriage and found lots of personal stories on the net. Yet there are no hard facts, no studies or statistics what really happens after the removal of mirena. I know there are so many other reasons for m/c. Maybe I ws just lucky to have two prefect pregnancies prior to mirena. I am going to see acupuncturist before we try again to thicken my uterus lining and have a uterus scan just to make sure everything is as it should be. x

BeamReach Sat 17-Sep-11 14:48:27

Hi Maxima, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

I did some poking about in the dark rescess of the research data bases and there are actually a few studies showing that the miscarriage rate after removal of the mirena coil is not any higher than would be expected anyway... not huge, especially high powered studies, but if there really was a problem in the first few months and the standard advice for everyone is that it is ok to try straight away, you would expect to see a statistically significant increase in the misscarriage rate in those studies... and my guess is that if there was even a whiff of a problem, after all these years of use it would have shown up by now....fortunately anecdotes, however sad are just that.

Wishing you and your partner all the best in your future fertility adventures...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now