Talk

Advanced search

IVF questions - thinking about egg donation - pls help

(3 Posts)
thinkingwhattodotoday Tue 13-Sep-11 10:49:52

I am thinking about donating eggs for a friend - this needs to be quite soon due to age. It's early days at the moment but I have a few qs I wondered if anyone could help with.
1) can I do the egg retrieval process whilst still breastfeeding - has anyone done this?
2) what is the egg retrieval process like?
3) does anyone have a good link they can link to on the process - thanks!

FlipFantasia Tue 13-Sep-11 11:37:06

Hi there

It's a great thing that you're thinking of doing.

1) I think you'll be told to stop BFing. I had IVF to have my first child and went along to arrange more IVF when I was still BFing him. I was told I had to wean him off BFing and wait at least 2 cycles before doing IVF, due to the hormones and drugs used. Luckily, I got pregnant naturally and am still BFing him now (he's 18 months).

2) You will be basically going through the same process as a woman going through IVF, so roughly:
- your ovaries will be "switched off" (a process called down-regulating). This usually involes sniffing or injecting a drug to stop your ovaries from making any eggs naturally.
- Once your lining is nice and thin and your ovaries are dormant, you'll start stimulating your ovaries. This involves injecting a hormone that makes your ovaries produce as many egg follicles (and hopefully eggs) as possible. It usually takes 10-14 days of injecting, with regular scans of your ovaries and blood tests to make sure you don't hyperstimulate.
- Once your follicles are big enough, you take a final injection called a trigger shot which matures the eggs.
- About 36 hours after this trigger injection you have egg collection - this involves either general anasthetic or heavy sedation with the follicles being taken out via your vagina.
- recovery from egg collection varies. I found it OK, but took a week off work (more because of staying relaxed during the IVF process than because I physically needed that much time to recover).
- your eggs are then donated to your friend, and are mixed with her partner's sperm to fertilise.

No link I'm afraid (am at work about to go into a meeting so am rushing!) but if you search the talk archives you should fine something. I remember reading a thread a couple of years ago from a MNer who donated eggs to a friend of a friend (I think she also gave up BFing to do it) - I think her name was treedelivery. There should also be good info on Fertility Friends website.

Good luck to you and your friend whatever you decide!

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Tue 13-Sep-11 11:44:26

Hi there

Sorry only a quick response here. I've just been through ivf (using my own eggs) and am now 9 weeks pg. Unfortunately donating eggs is effectively the same as going through ivf without the embryo transfer (which is pretty painless) and the dreaded 2 week wait (which is torture).

It would be an amazing thing to do for your friend but there's no point pretending it wouldn't be a massive commitment. I suffered from over simulation, the side effects from the drugs were horrendous and recovery from egg collection took a lot longer than I expected. Of course these things don't happen to everyone. There are also many many hospital appointments for scans and blood tests that you would need to attend.

I would definitely consider donating my eggs in the future but not until I was sure I had finished having my own children which will probably be when I'm older than 35 which I think is the cut-off (at least at my hospital).

Good luck with whatever you decide

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now