Talk

Advanced search

False positives - does anyone have any guidance to give?

(6 Posts)
pastafantastic Mon 12-Sep-11 13:55:37

Hi All,

I have been trying to conceive for 7 months now and am on day 1 of my period cycle today (i.e. period due today).

I have been waiting patiently and finally took some tests and have got a positive result in both, though faint. There is definitely a double pink mark on the results but the second line is fainter than the test line.

I went to the GP this afternoon, but the result of their test was negative. It may seem over-enthusiastic to have run straight down to the surgery, but I have severe endometriosis and the chances of me conceiving naturally were slim. I was excited.

So, on the same day that is 2 positives and one negative.

Does anyone know much about false positives and what can cause them?

I dearly want to get excited and to feel the happiness of being pregnant, but too frightened to let go in case the tests were wrong.

I know the solution is to wait a few more days and then do more tests, but you all know how I must be feeling I'm sure.

Any guidance gratefully received. Thanks.

bemybebe Mon 12-Sep-11 14:01:19

false positives are very rare (there are some instances where one can get a false +ve ie after a hormonal treatment). i think it is more the case of your urine being not as concentrated at GP's or their tester's not as sensitive.

wait for tomorrow morning and do the test again. i would not get overexcited anyway as a lot of pregnancies end very very early, but i think congratulations to you are in order!!!

eurochick Mon 12-Sep-11 15:31:51

False negatives are common but false positive are rare, so I agree wth the above poster - your urine might just have been less concentrated for the dr's test. Try again tomorrow.

tiddleypompom Mon 12-Sep-11 15:37:14

First thing in the morning is when you should try again - more concentrated levels of hormones. Whenever I do urine tests at the GPs I have to drink a shed load of water to do so, and therefore give them a lovely clear sample - whereas at home I drink less than I should and wee tends to be less dilute. I'd hate to get your hopes up unnecessarily, but if your period hasn't arrived and you've had two faint-yet-positive responses..
Really hope this is it for you.

pastafantastic Mon 12-Sep-11 16:26:25

Thanks very much for your answers.

I did indeed provide my gp with a beautifully pale sample. It looked like I had filled it up from the tap.

I'm sure that many of you know the feeling of very much wanting to be pregnant and not wanting hopes to be raised.

If I am pregnant, then it's a great start. Now just have to focus on it sticking!

Thanks again.

Sn0wGoose Mon 12-Sep-11 16:28:42

Let us know how it goes! :O)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now