Talk

Advanced search

Manuka honey helping to concieve?

(139 Posts)
Roxanne123 Mon 12-Sep-11 09:02:30

Hi ladies, i know the pain of wanting to get pregnant after trying for so long.

7 people i know who had been trying to concieve between 6months and 3years gave me a tip... they were having 2 spoonfuls of manuka honey umf25+ a day.. all of them who now have children or are pregnant.

After ttc for 14 months i decided to give it a go... i am now 13+2 smile

This may be a total fluke but if it can help anyone at all its worth putting it out there

xxx

Levana Mon 12-Sep-11 09:57:01

Wow congratulations. I am into the 6 month of trying now, how long did you take the honey for before you conceived?

I have been thinking of taking royal jelly as i've heard it's good - maybe this is along similar lines. Anyway will give it a try thanks!

nearlymumofone Mon 12-Sep-11 10:25:09

worth a shot i reckon, I know what i'll be going to the shops for today!!

Sn0wGoose Mon 12-Sep-11 11:07:29

Wow!

Don't know how reliable this is, being that it's a honey-promo website, but nontheless:
"The use of honey and cinnamon will boost the blood supply to your reproductive areas by 2000% which will of course help to improve them ready for conception to take place."

http://www.health-benefits-of-honey.com/tryingforababy.html

Levana Mon 12-Sep-11 11:46:52

That's intresting about how it improves blood supply, that must an important aspect of ttc - I've been paying for acupuncture and one of the main aims of it according to the guy I saw is to increase the blood flow to the reproductive area.

I was trying to drink cinnamon tea (teaspoon of cinnamon powder in hot water) 3x a day at one point but found it quite vile! Will have to start again and think of it like medicine.

PieMistress Mon 12-Sep-11 15:46:53

Did you keep taking it from TTC until BFP? Or until end of first tri?

Roxanne123 Mon 12-Sep-11 19:19:23

I took it for 4-6 weeks then found out I was pregnant smile it's great for blood flow digestion all sorts really would recommend it to anyone xx

bagelmonkey Mon 12-Sep-11 19:23:09

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but by "use of honey and cinnamon" does it mean eating them or topical use?

Roxanne123 Mon 12-Sep-11 19:25:40

I used to just have a spoonful in the morning and spoonful at night smile x

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Mon 12-Sep-11 19:28:36

I'm at the stage now where I'll give anything a go! If it works, after 4 years of trying and 4 early m/c I shall be singing from the rooftops. smile

Florin Mon 12-Sep-11 19:29:29

Really silly question but do you think you have to have it just as a plain spoonful or can you put it on toast in yoghurt etc?

Roxanne123 Mon 12-Sep-11 19:33:22

Yeah it's just like normal honey so on toast cereal yoghurt any way is great smile it tastes nice too smile really do hope this works for you all have my fingers an toes crossed for you all xx

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 12-Sep-11 20:19:39

I've heard of it's healing properties, it's used on wounds (I'm a nurse). I'm so going to Tesco tomorrow. I know it's a tenner a pot but hey I'm game!

Roxanne123 Mon 12-Sep-11 21:09:15

Good luck please let me know how you all get on smile x

farfallarocks Tue 13-Sep-11 11:41:33

a tenner? I popped into holland and barrett and it was £30!!

Still debating it but perhaps worth a try!!

GTR2882 Tue 13-Sep-11 13:12:32

I have seen it on Amazon for Active UMF 10+ Manuka Honey
£8.46 (£29.68/kg) - would this have the same effect as the 25+ do you think?

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 13:50:39

Eagerly awaiting response as £8.46 seems much more reasonable...

Florin Tue 13-Sep-11 14:14:58

Waitrose only sell up to 10+ holland and barratt have the 25+ have it on sale to £26.99-my god that seems really expensive for honey plus I know dh will get hungry one day and I will find him putting a huge thick layer on his toast! Anyone going to try it?

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 14:21:15

Oh my god I've just ordered some - it's official, TTC has tipped me over the edge! It was £16-something from H&B. May as well get the moses basket out of the loft now then grin. (For god's sake, no-one breathe a word of this to DH!!)

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 14:21:54

It was the 25+ one btw

Florin Tue 13-Sep-11 14:33:49

pink could you possibly post a link the one I saw on there was a huge amount more expensive. for that cost I will give it a try!

GTR2882 Tue 13-Sep-11 14:35:55

PinkCustard if it works though it will be worth it! God, TTC seems just as expensive as the bloody baby grin

Florin Tue 13-Sep-11 14:36:32

scrub that pink it comes up with the original price but when you click on it, its the reduced one I can see it now. Now do I buy some is the big question!

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 14:38:56

www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=198&afid=70&safid=ggl&scid=13435&cm_mmc=Google-_-Honey-_-PB%20-%20Manuka%20Honey%20-%20MTE-_-[h

Has that worked??

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 14:40:17

It's on page 3 but is only a 250g jar (is that tiny?)

GTR2882 Tue 13-Sep-11 14:40:34

I don't really like honey..........i'm game if you are florin wink

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 14:41:02

Yes you might as well (then I won't look like the only nutter...)

farfallarocks Tue 13-Sep-11 14:43:25

I have bought it <hangs head in shame>

GTR2882 Tue 13-Sep-11 14:48:12

Nooooo Farfalla don't be ashamed!! We are all in this together!! I need to wait until i get paid though to flash the cash in such an extravagence!!

WishingIWasLucky Tue 13-Sep-11 15:24:30

It's on 3 for 2 in holland and barratts. Across all umfs and all sizes of jar. Just invested in the 500g 25+ umf bought 3 for £80! (£40 a jar- 3 for 2 at the moment). Will only tell Dh if it works, otherwise will not breathe a word to anyone in RL. Will try just the three jars. If no joy will stop at the end of this trial term!
Roxanne: Congratulations on your pregnancy, re the honey- when do you stop taking it? Or do you continue into pregnancy?
TIA

cheekycurls Tue 13-Sep-11 16:17:37

I know dh will get hungry one day and I will find him putting a huge thick layer on his toast! grin haha

might have to look into this when I get paid and explain to DP how much it cos and if he was to even stiff it I'll put him on the naughty step! smile

farfallarocks Tue 13-Sep-11 16:24:43

I am keeping mine in the office so DH does not snaffle it and also he already thinks I have gone a bit dipsy lala with this TTC bizness and I fear this may tip him over the edge!!

Just had the dose, its really sweet and a bit sickly (and don't look at the calorie content its BAD)

cheekycurls Tue 13-Sep-11 16:30:31

damn, this won't be good for my diet! haha

PinkCustard Tue 13-Sep-11 17:43:53

Bagsy calling my baby Honey when it arrives (or Manuka anyone?). Goodness there's going to be a sudden batch of sweet little cherubs thanks to the OP smile

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 13-Sep-11 17:50:41

Ah yes Tesco only do up to 10...I'm pretty sure I'll buy some. More likely to cause questions at work than at home!! Will hide it at the back of a cupboard.

PieMistress Tue 13-Sep-11 18:14:42

Ok peeps so what 'strength' did you all get? Seems to start at 5+, 10+, 15+ and 25+. Would the 5+ do the job grin it's official, I will try anything!

I spoke to the wifie in our local health store and she said for general health and well being then 5+ is fine but if you are looking to medicate for a specific problem (she used example like stomach ulcers ?!) then the higher the better. She said off the spoon or in a hot drink!

joycep Tue 13-Sep-11 18:35:03

oh ok i'll come clean, i've been lurking and through utter desperation i have just bought a 500g jar of the 25+!! Damn it - I was so proud that I weaned myself off Opk's and other weird oils and vitamins and now look at me shock. Roxanne - what have you started??! My dentist will be rubbing his hands in glee when he sees all the holes....as will H&B when they see their sales figures!

Florin Tue 13-Sep-11 18:45:23

Ok I've done a bit of research on it. Think it might be worth giving ago. Did read though not to put it in hot drinks as the heat can kill something in it. They suggested putting it in a smoothie I think I will put it in some plain yoghurt. Will get it at the weekend so I can buy it in cash from the actual shop so dh won't start wondering why I am spending a fortune in holland and barratt! I can't admit I am spending that much on honey!

cheekycurls Tue 13-Sep-11 18:50:38

ok def gonna buy some payday, is it ok to take all month or is it before ovulation or in the 2ww???

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 13-Sep-11 18:51:21

Is manuka honey going to be the next coconut oil?

grumplestilskin Tue 13-Sep-11 18:53:57

aldi do 10+ for less than £3

run dont walk! my local one ran out today (I bought the last one) and it might be one of their feature products rather than regular stock (but I hope not)

eurochick Tue 13-Sep-11 20:48:16

coconut oil?

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 13-Sep-11 20:50:06

Some supermodel mentioned she took 2 tbsp a day to aide weight loss, Holland and Barrat sales went up 150% in a couple of months!

Roxanne123 Wed 14-Sep-11 07:49:54

I got mine off ebay its 25+umf i would have thougt they all work the same. the higher the umf the more active ingredients it has xx
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Gold-Active-25-Manuka-Honey-250gms-/320758609233?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item4aaeb3f551

eurochick Wed 14-Sep-11 14:10:29

Thanks faith!

I gave in and bought manuka honey this lunchtime.

<Hangs head in shame at being so gullible/deperate to try anything>

GenericDietCola Wed 14-Sep-11 14:26:45

I've got some too - it's 6+ strength and mine also has cinnamon in it (in case there's any truth in the theory that cinnamon and honey help with blood flow). Got mine for the bargain price of £8-something from Julian Graves, but it's only 250g.

Hope it works for us all!

<frets that 6+ isn't strong enough>

grumplestilskin Wed 14-Sep-11 14:30:34

6+ isnt much, 10+ is the childrens strength

farfallarocks Wed 14-Sep-11 17:32:05

Can highly recommend adding it to some greek yogurt, much more appetising!

GenericDietCola Wed 14-Sep-11 17:41:33

Grumplestiltskin is it specifically the antibacterial ingredient that does the job, or is it honey in general? I was just too tight to spend £20 or whatever on honey! Anyway, you'll probably all get pregnant and I will have to fork out anyway...

Farfalla I had it in porridge this morning - was quite nice.

WishingIWasLucky Wed 14-Sep-11 18:09:40

Its VERY thick though isn't it? Found it too sweet...sickly sweet. If it does it's job, then it's a small price to pay, no? But when do you stop taking it? On BFP? On cradling baby?! Lol

PieMistress Wed 14-Sep-11 19:20:21

Darn will have to go and return my bogof 5+ from local health store and exchange for stronger strength!

Maybe the 15+ or has everybody gone the full hog and bought 25+ ?

<ponders on what to tell DP about the fancy honey ...... >

<hangs head in shame with euro>

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Wed 14-Sep-11 19:31:19

So what's the best deal out there?

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Wed 14-Sep-11 19:41:54

DH has agreed to purchase some from Holland and Barrett tomorrow. SInce I have ibs and expecting it to work wonders for that too I shall be going for 25+
in turn he wants me to agree to him buying a quad bike hmm

grumplestilskin Wed 14-Sep-11 19:46:59

I dunno, I'm not TTCing just jumped on the thread to let you lot know about the bargain 10+ jars in Aldi. I use it for all sorts! fantastic for mouth ulcers, colds, sore throats... we put it in yogurt or hot milk or just on a spoon for really bad throats. Even putting it in the bath for LOs infected eczema at the mo. I've also lost 4lbs since we've been using it lots recently for season change related snuffles in our house. So whether it does make a difference for TTCing its a general wonder product anyway, that and Argon oil!

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Wed 14-Sep-11 20:01:37

I've googled it and looked on here and people recommend it for everything from ttc to arthritis! DH and I have been through a phase where we've caught everything going so if it helps with that I'll be pleased!

Florin Wed 14-Sep-11 21:34:02

Think my dh deserves a prize he must have seen me posting on here last night and without asking has gone and bought me some. Very pleased with him. Going to try it with Greek yoghurt.

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Wed 14-Sep-11 21:36:58

Aw what a sweetie!

PieMistress Wed 14-Sep-11 21:48:55

Awwww florin bless him!

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Thu 15-Sep-11 13:25:01

Hurrah DH has walked into town today on his lunch break and bought me some. Grumbled a tad about the price but still...

nearlymumofone Thu 15-Sep-11 18:06:48

I'm going to cave at the weekend too and get some! We need a thread for everyone trying this.

WishingIWasLucky Thu 15-Sep-11 18:55:20

I think that's a fab idea nearlymumofone...or we could just continue on this one?!

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Thu 15-Sep-11 19:15:34

I took my first teaspoon tonight smile I good it helps my digestive system quick smart.

PieMistress Thu 15-Sep-11 21:33:27

Got some 18+ today, just tried it <sucks in cheeks> it's so SWEET! DP is having it too as he's been having a few digestive probs lately and i've read it can also help that. Don't think I can take it off the spoon though, might have to have it with yoghurt or something. Is it okay to stir in herbal tea?

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Thu 15-Sep-11 21:38:48

Damn it, I knew there was something to add on to my shopping list today angry

I've been watching this thread and thought what the heck, I've tried everything else!

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Fri 16-Sep-11 06:21:20

if putting it un boiling water destroys the enzymes. Try it with Greek Yoghurt or on toast. Personally I thought 'yum' but I have always taken honey off the spoon since I was tiny...
BTW DH said last night [bear in mind the product us called 'pure gold'] "they're not wrong calling it 'pure gold', it cost 25 quid!'.smile

GenericDietCola Fri 16-Sep-11 13:30:51

I'm having mine in porridge - it's quite nice (too sweet for me off the spoon). Think I'm ov'ing so let's see if it works its magic!

PieMistress Fri 16-Sep-11 14:00:02

OOOO, good idea generic, I think putting it in warm tea will be okay too (well at least according to the link on page 1). Is anybody else adding cinnammon?

GenericDietCola Fri 16-Sep-11 14:06:23

Yes PieMistress - me! My honey has cinnamon in it <preens>

Although I've only got 6+ strength - doh.

I think it's OK to put in tea, porridge etc as long as you don't boil the honey (does that make sense?!) In other word, I don't think you could put it in flapjacks, cookies etc where you'd have to directly heat it.

PieMistress Fri 16-Sep-11 14:44:23

Wonder if sprinking ordinary 'cooking' cinammon on it would do?

DP & I were nearly gagging last night it's so sweet shock so I think added to a warm (not boiling hot) cup of cammomile tea before bed will do just nicely. Not sure if I can face a spoonful in the morning before work though (unless in porridge!) think I will be weaning myself on it! Am in the 2ww so will see! smile

GenericDietCola Fri 16-Sep-11 15:38:02

Pie I'm sure ordinary cinnamon is just what you need. You might be the first BFP on this thread!

WishingIWasLucky Fri 16-Sep-11 17:38:14

It's all getting rather exciting now! I've been taking it neat from the teaspoon. but tis very sweet. Not cold enough for porridge breakfasts for me just yet. Don't think the honey would go well with Weetabix! But maybe will try it on toast. FX that piemistress gets her BFP SOON!

WishingIWasLucky Fri 16-Sep-11 17:40:39

Generic: I think as long as you have SOME honey, doesn't REALLY matter about the strength. FX that it works/ or the cinnamon! Will watch this thread closely. Hope it's a lucky one :-)

Florin Sat 17-Sep-11 10:49:25

Had my first taste last night-had it in plain yoghurt and it was delicious. When dh bought it from selfridges the girl serving him asked what it was for and he just said to help us conceive. Girl responded the amazing power of mumsnet and chuckled. Apparently a few people had been in to ask for it because of this thread!

HaveALittleFaithBaybee Sat 17-Sep-11 11:02:41

Wow we're famous!!!!! grin how often are you all taking it? My box says 3 tsp 3 times a day.

WishingIWasLucky Sat 17-Sep-11 11:38:44

I'm taking one teaspoon whenever I remember ! On the odd occasion have been known to take two throughout the day. Really find it too sweet so am going to take it off the spoon, and not prolong the agony by adding to toast, etc. Still quite cynical, but keeping fingers firmly crossed!

PieMistress Sat 17-Sep-11 12:15:42

I'm just having one teaspoon just now in my cammomile tea before bed smile

WishingIWasLucky Sat 17-Sep-11 12:37:52

Piemistress- that sounds like you're actually enjoying it?! I can't stand the taste AT ALL. I try to get it down QUICK.

WishingIWasLucky Sat 17-Sep-11 12:39:50

Oh, sorry... Meant to ask why are you going to bed at midday Piemistress? Are you in a country other than the UK or are you a night worker? Hope you don't mind the inquisition, curiosity just got the better of me- sorry :-)

GenericDietCola Sat 17-Sep-11 15:10:53

I'm having a couple of teaspoons in porridge in the morning and trying to have another spoon in the evening. Just had a cup of lemon and ginger tea with a teasppon of honey in it - very nice.

Who's up first with the testing then? Exciting that people have been rushing out to buy it on the strength of this thread - hope it actually works.

TheHappyCamper Sat 17-Sep-11 17:23:56

Oh God, I just caved and bought some 25+ in Holland Barret for £25!!! They were right by the till so I reckon I'm not the only one who's been buying it this week lol! grin

My DH and SIL were with me so I had to come clean - they were like shock and hmm but I said I'd try anything now... we have been ttc #2 for 17 months.

I want to be the first BFP please - I reckon I'm due to ovulate within the next 48 hours so am going to have a spoon tonight before DTD!

How cool would it be if this actually works and we all get pg! Good luck ladies

PieMistress Sat 17-Sep-11 17:37:24

wishing it's actually really nice in tea! I'm adding honey instead of my usual spoonful of sugar smile My post was also badly written! I'm in the Uk and not going to bed at midday, too many 'justs' in my sentence! confused

I'm not due to test for a good week <yawn>. Have my CD21 blood tests again on Monday. Last month they were BAD and GP basically said I didn't ov (although my FF charts indicated I did so who knows WTF is going on!!). My recent (ish) m/c has totally screwed my cycle up PAH PAH PAH! sad

I would LOVE it if this thread threw out a whole bunch of bpfs - that would be AMAZING! smile smile smile Good luck everyone!

Karbea Sat 17-Sep-11 18:45:27

I've got myself some +15 today, let's hope it works!

SlightlyBabyCrazed Sat 17-Sep-11 18:57:34

Oh, no, another expensive addition to my daily intake to ensure I get preggo before the end of the year! On H+B the 500g pot is £26.79 - am adding to basket........ but if I buy two then I save on p+p....dilemmas!

nearlymumofone Sat 17-Sep-11 18:59:47

Roxanne- how long were you taking the honey for before you got BFP? And what about the other people you know that it worked for?

nearlymumofone Sat 17-Sep-11 19:00:58

ignore me! I was just being lazy- have re-read the start of the thread and it was 4-6 weeks... thanks!

GenericDietCola Sat 17-Sep-11 20:55:03

Ooh 4-6 weeks isn't too long to wait! Come on!

HaveALittleFaithBaby Sun 18-Sep-11 09:01:17

Anyone up the duff yet?!

WishingIWasLucky Sun 18-Sep-11 09:21:34

Havealittlefaithbaby: I'm only on cd 12 - not holding any high hopes, but hey- I'll give everything a trial of at least three months: what's to lose? My cycle has been steadily reducing from the regular 28 day cycle that I had to a 25 day one. Finding it quite difficult to pinpoint ovulation, using smiley OPKs, reading TCOYF, very frustrating after ttc for over 2 years and a miscarriage in march at over 8 weeks:-(

PieMistress Sun 18-Sep-11 09:31:35

wishing have you tried acupuncture? My cycles and ovulation have been all over the place since my m/c in May but have been for 4 sessions of acupuncture and am noticing a difference. My ov is back to CD17 which is what is was pre m/c (it had been CD12 and CD19 post m/c and pre-acupuncture).

WishingIWasLucky Sun 18-Sep-11 09:56:40

Piemistress: it's so hard to pick yourself up and continue with the same optimism after a knockback, isn't it? Will book some sessions on Monday. Will keep you updated too. Thanks hon x

WishingIWasLucky Mon 19-Sep-11 12:05:15

Anyone else finding the honey too sickly? Where's Roxanne gone? Does she know what she's started even?!

PieMistress Mon 19-Sep-11 13:51:12

wishing sorry to read about your m/c. It really sucks doesn't it sad sad

I can't eat it off the spoon, I need to have it in my warm (not hot) tea. Bleurghhh!

WishingIWasLucky Mon 19-Sep-11 14:32:42

Piemistress: yes, its horrid, especially as it's getting closer to EDD, and friends all around me in RL blooming in their pregnancies. So sorry for your loss too. How many weeks pregnant were you? Hope you are faring better then me. Glad you're enjoying the honey though! Hehehe x

TheHappyCamper Mon 19-Sep-11 20:26:44

wishing sorry to hear about your mc. Horrible sad
... you should get our first bfp smile

CD16 here and finding the honey disgusting but taking it in tiny licks off a spoon in between mouthfuls of hot tea! grin

TheHappyCamper Mon 19-Sep-11 20:28:35

so sorry, I mis read - piemistress aswell x

WishingIWasLucky Mon 19-Sep-11 20:34:29

That's so very kind of you Happy! I do the same: lick it off the spoon pulling faces with every lick! It's disgusting in a weird way! Here's Fingers Crossed for each and every one of us FX smile

PieMistress Mon 19-Sep-11 21:02:28

wishing I was 7 weeks (it was in May) . I also have several friends with nice big bumps that are due after I was sad There is a great thread called 'Just MC and Ready to Try Again' - you should come and join us! I'd have been totally lost without it, those ladies have been a life saver!

Thanks for the good vibes happy here's to BFP for all of us! <chink chink!>

JennaP Tue 20-Sep-11 18:27:09

This may be a silly question but does the honey have to be taken on it's own? I've been trying for six months. I finally meet MR right and tick tock, tick tock!

hickorydick Tue 20-Sep-11 18:45:04

I'm hanging around in here to see if it works before spending all my money on special honey. Holland and Barrett have sold out of 500g jars on their website (due you lot no doubt!) and as I was entering my card details into another site ready to buy I realised I may have actually gone a bit mad...

If it works for you ladies then I shall invest. Good luck everyone!

WishingIWasLucky Tue 20-Sep-11 18:46:46

Very wise Hickorydick! I'm sure we'll update if any of us gets a BFP!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »