Talk

Advanced search

What days do I need to go for it??!

(9 Posts)
nearlymumofone Sun 11-Sep-11 13:22:36

Ttc#2....

So.... If my cycle is 25-31 days... what days do I need to get on it?!!

kat2504 Sun 11-Sep-11 14:36:05

every other day from 8 to 18 ought to do it.

nearlymumofone Sun 11-Sep-11 16:07:40

that sounds like a lot of hard work!!

thanks

AmandaCooper Mon 12-Sep-11 07:44:41

There's a whole science to it and a load of gadgets you can spend your money on to narrow it down a bit, but if you're just starting trying, kat2504's suggestion is a sensible starting point.

farfallarocks Mon 12-Sep-11 10:12:04

You can get some ovulation prediction kits and use them for a couple of months to get an idea of your cycle.

Also look out for changes in your discharge. Nott every gets this but you are looking for something like egg white consistency and that is a pretty reliable indicator that ovulation is imminent (and the sperm can live in that for a few days)

TheNationalTruss Mon 12-Sep-11 10:18:56

I'd get a copy of Taking Charge Of Your Fertility and try and understand the signs that you're about to ovulate.

Generally an average woman has a luteal phase somewhere between 10 and 16 days though it remains fixed for each woman (luteal phase is time between ovulation and your period). So as a very rough guess you could ovulate anywhere between day 9 and day 21 in any given cycle.

For a woman with no known fertility issues, having sex every other day or every couple of days throughout your cycle should be enough. Just enjoying the process, having regular sex and trusting your body to do it is fine but as I say with no known fertility issues.

How irregular are your periods? Have they always varied in length?

nearlymumofone Mon 12-Sep-11 10:24:18

They have always varied in length a bit. TTC#1 took 6 months, I had a haemmoragging cyst at the time and was booked in for small op for exploritory examination and to get rid of suspected endometriosis and cyst when I fell pregnant, I'm hoping these issues have all gone now.

I kind of don't want to go down the route of the kits etc as I got them before (the strips ones) and it just didn't look like I was ovulating at all according to them, it was stressing me out, so I stopped doing it, then shortly after fell pregnant.

TheNationalTruss Mon 12-Sep-11 10:30:50

A cycle which varies in length by more than a couple of days max can be a sign of an underlying hormonal issue and can indicate that you're not ovulating regularly.

It's a really good sign that you managed to conceive (and very quickly really) with the cycle you have. I'd maybe consider just nipping to the gp and mentioning your history. Purely because it's probably worth dealing with any issues now and going into ttc knowing you're in tip top condition. And with a variable cycle and suspected endometriosis/cysts, you have a good case for requesting they check you're ovulating regularly as a minimum.

nearlymumofone Mon 12-Sep-11 10:33:26

Thanks for the advice. You're probably right, I should.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now