Talk

Advanced search

New to this - so can someone help me with my question?

(6 Posts)
winkle2 Fri 09-Sep-11 10:59:23

According to the ovulation calendar on my iphone app, I was fertile between Monday and Thursday of this week with yesterday being the day that I ovulated.

Due to a bit of a hectic week we only DTD on Tuesday and will do it again this evening.

Can I get pregnant this month?

Sorry if this is a rookie question but it's our first month of trying!

eurochick Fri 09-Sep-11 11:11:20

The ovulation calendar just gives an estimate of when you are likely to ovulate based on statistics. If you have a fairly regular cycle of normal length, it is probably likely to be right.

So on Thuesday you had unprotected sex in your fertile period. So yes, you could be pregnant.

I mean this in a nice way but these kinds of posts are pointless and it will just stress you out to overthink this. If you are having unprotected sex then there is a possibility that you could be pregnant. The only thing you can do now is wait and do a test to see whether you are or not. I know the waiting is horrible but it is part and parcel of ttc.

winkle2 Fri 09-Sep-11 11:21:56

Ok, thanks very much. I only ask because I have spent the last 15 years trying NOT to get pregnant that I realised that I didn't know how to actually GET pregnant!

The post was to help me understand the ovulation thing a bit better.

Thanks for the reply.

eurochick Fri 09-Sep-11 11:29:46

Ok, fair enough.

Quick guide to ttc: most people ovulate 10-16 days before their period (a minority ovulate outside this time frame). Sperm can live for a few days, so shagging in the days leading up to ovulation could lead to pregnancy. Once you have ovulated the egg has a maximum of 24-48 hours to meet sperm. Remember, these could be sperm that have been hanging about for a few days so you don't have to aim to dtd just in that short period post-ovulation. Later than 48 hrs or thereabouts after ovulation, it is no longer possible to fertilise the egg and you then have roughly 2 weeks of waiting for your period to appear.

Good luck and try to relax about it.

winkle2 Fri 09-Sep-11 11:40:31

Great, thakms for the quick biology lesson!

winkle2 Fri 09-Sep-11 11:40:40

I mean thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now