Talk

Advanced search

There's no way I could be pregnant, right?

(9 Posts)
MediumOrchid Thu 08-Sep-11 10:48:25

Right... I came off the pill in January, had two 72 day cycles, then one 32 day (roughly what my cycles were pre-pill), then this cycle which is currently on cd 59. For the last 2 cycles I have been charting and trying to use the fertility awareness method (from TCOYF) to avoid pregnancy. However, at the beginning of this cycle I had quite a bit of stress that I won't go into, then went on holiday for 2 weeks, during which time I didn't record my temperatures at all.

When I got back my temperatures were consistently at the higher post-ovulatory level I observed last month so I assume I have ovulated. After 7 days the temperatures fell back down a degree so I assume my period is on its way. However - no period and it's now been 10 days at the lower level. So what's going on? I can't be pregnant as my temperatures wouldn't have fallen, right? Did I not ovulate at all and the higher temperatures were something to do with coming back from holiday?

Although I am trying to avoid pregnancy for now this is just for financial reasons and if I were to be pregnant I would be delighted and we'd manage some how financially.

So any ideas?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 08-Sep-11 11:10:00

You can have a rise in temp in the second half of the cycle when an egg has not been shed so charting is not infallible. This is what could have happened with you. It is usually only more helpful if cycles are consistently regular.

If your cycles remain as irregular as they are now I would have blood tests done to see if anything is detected. Often hormonal imbalances are to blame for such issues.

Biscuitsandtea Thu 08-Sep-11 11:58:42

This may be a daft question but have you tried doing a pregnancy test?

Good luck anyway smile

MediumOrchid Thu 08-Sep-11 12:10:24

No I haven't done a test - I thought that one of the great things about charting was that you almost didn't need to - you'd know because you'd have >14 high temperatures, and you'd do a pregnancy test just to confirm. Well that's the impression the book gave anyway!

Maybe it is worth doing one... at least I'd know.

My cycles were never that regular even before I went on the pill so maybe my body just doesn't work like everyone elses!

Biscuitsandtea Thu 08-Sep-11 12:15:15

It's probably worth doing one just to be sure - especially since you missed a week of temping so not really sure what could have happened in there. However, if it is likely that you ovulated on holiday and you've been back 17 days (?) then if you did ovulate then, you'd be 17dpo now so a HPT should give you a reasonably reliable answer (hopefully).

I'm afraid I can't answer any more about the charting though as I'm no expert on that - sorry smile

Biscuitsandtea Wed 14-Sep-11 09:36:46

Did you ever do a test MediumOrchid?

MediumOrchid Tue 20-Sep-11 14:08:06

Oh - yes I did, and it was negative, thanks for asking. Still no AF though, and currently on cd 71 - I'm assuming I just haven't ovulated this month, but it would be nice to get AF sooner rather than later!

Biscuitsandtea Wed 21-Sep-11 07:40:38

Ah sorry to hear that - hope AF turns up soon so you know where you are xx

HooverTheHamaBeads Wed 21-Sep-11 11:35:10

Does sound like an anovulatory cycle.

Are you TTC? I'd recommend seeing your GP as your cycles seem quite irregular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now