Talk

Advanced search

Crap Womb Lining & Progesterone Cream

(18 Posts)
JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 13:48:54

Hello!

I wonder if anyone has any advice/experience on rubbish womb linings (that's the technical term grin) and Progesterone supplements.

Potted history:

TTCing #1 for 21 months, never had a bfp.

DH and I both appear to be very healthy in all the usual respects - good ovaries, reliable ovulation, good sperm count, normal smears and hormones.

We are to be referred for AC later this year.

In the meantime I am making, as it were, a last ditch attempt at natural conception.

The GP and an alternative therapist I have seen are both worried about my luteal phase. I have very short cycles (currently passing damn great blood clots at 23 days), and begin spotting 8-9 days after ovulation. THis is obviously far too short a time for a fertilised egg to implant.

They both think that it is likely I have been conceiving (statistically this is likely given DH's above average sperm and my ever-reliable ovulation), but that because my stupid woman lining sheds so early it never gets a chance to bed in, poor thing. And since I wouldn't release HSG until implantation, I have never had a BFP.

I know that progesterone cream is sometimes used after ovulation to help maintain the uterine lining.

Is this worth a go? Is it pure quackery? Has it got awful side effects? Does anyone know if it has worked? Surely if I had a progesterone problem it would have shown up on my blood tests??

I am confused. Thanks for any advice!

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 13:49:48

stupid womb lining I plainly mean, not woman lining grin

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:10:50

Anyone? sad

Don't make me ask NetHuns!

WishingIWasLucky Wed 07-Sep-11 14:11:01

Hi Jodie. I don't have a clue...sorry. We've been ttc for while now. Have always had reular 28 day cycle. Last two- went down to 27, and today period arrived after 25 days WTF?! had a miscarriage at 8.5 weeks in March. Don't know WHAT this means on the fertility front. Just hope someone more knowledgeable passes by soon. FX for both of us. Am so very worried. Bet you are too. Good luck.

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:12:25

Hello there WIWL - so sorry about your MC sad

The more this goes on the more astonished I am any of us were born. I shall sit tight and wait for a wise soul to pass by....

GenericDietCola Wed 07-Sep-11 14:39:25

Hello, just replied on wishing's thread too. I've had short luteal phases before (and now) and I've taken 50 mg vitamin B6 to extend it. I think it stimulates progesterone or something. Perhaps that's something to try.

Good luck! and stay away from NetHuns unless you want a migraine

pumpkinjoy Wed 07-Sep-11 14:42:52

Hi Jodie. FWIW I do believe very much in progesterone support for short luteal phase-well in AC in general. I think all women undergoing IVF are prescribed it just solely as a back up post EC. My story is that we had been TTC since feb 08 and me and DH had had all manner of tests including day 21 progesterone and all were normal-so unexplained infertility. While waiting on IVF list, we decided to go for IUI and 1st attempt failed. However they discovered my AF arrived 8 days post IUI so short LP was highlighted. At the time I was elated to finally 'have the answer' for us failing to conceive. The following cycle I had IUI again-this time with progesterone injections and I got my first ever BFP! Sadly this ended in a MMC at 8 weeks. I went on to have 2 more IUIs with progesterone but these failed. Am currently having IVF. Hope this answers some of your questions but with a short luteal phase there is much evidence through research to support progesterone helping maintain hormone levels and hence keeping womb lining thick and allowing implantation.

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:47:25

Thanks so much to both of you for replying.

Generic I have been taking dong quai for a while, and thought it was helping, but after today's 23 Day deluge I'm inclined to think no. I wasn't aware of vit B6 and will add it to my Holland and Barrat shopping list.

Pumpkin what a tough, tough road you are having sad Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You have encouraged me to look into this further.

Would you think it irresponsible to purchase some cream/pessaries (they seem reliably available) and 'self-medicate' in the 2 or 3 months before ew are likely to start any AC?? I am normally pretty hard-headed about not doing anything not recommended by the GP, but they don't seem ever to mention my short LP other than to wonder aloud if I am having very early MCs (which of course we'll never know).

pumpkinjoy Wed 07-Sep-11 15:07:18

Would be bit sceptical of buying medication yourself-I take it you mean from internet? These companies are not licensed I would n't think and would nt personally go down that road-Who would monitor you? There is alot of research on progesterone suppoet (I only have limited knowledge of injections) so I would be surprised if your GP didn't know (although some may not) You could suggest to GP paying for a private prescription-it wouldn't hurt and may help the short LP.

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 15:28:11

I think you're wise, Pumpkin: I have to go back to the GP for a final sort of 'wash up' before we go to the FC (going over repeats of all our tests and checking my weight, which I have to work on a bit before it is below the required threshold), and I will mention it to her then.

I am aware that there will be quite some lapse between first appt at the FC and starting an AC cycle and it might be worth my asking about using progesterone in the meantime.

For now I am going to swing by Holland and Barratt and get a tub of B6....

batteryhen Wed 07-Sep-11 15:45:54

jodie hi, I know some people have used Agnus cactus to legnthen LP phases - you can get it from herbal shops, but it has got side effects so ask the herbalist before you buy. Also to thicken womb lining - I take vitamin E, eat lots of pineapple and brazil nuts (selenium apparantly is good)! Also Rasberry leaf tea - if you like tea this would be fine but it makes me heave. I started doing all this as I had a really thin lining - and I did notice my periods getting heavier.
Hope this helps!

WishingIWasLucky Wed 07-Sep-11 16:22:52

Batteryhen: that seems sound sensible advice. Can I be really nosey? Have you had a pregnancy with it yet?

batteryhen Wed 07-Sep-11 19:41:31

Wishing : Yes I have - unfortunaetly they have ended in Mc but nothing to do with the lining! I am eating pineapple etc at a rates of knots!

GenericDietCola Wed 07-Sep-11 20:04:16

Ooh I've heard some really negative things about agnus castus but I am no expert, so maybe read more about this before you consider it.

Re raspberry leaf tea, never heard about people taking that when ttc. It's recommended late on in pregnancy to strengthen the uterus and (hopefully) lead to a faster labour. Not sure what the logic is when ttc, but I am a bit cautious when it comes to 'herbal' medicine because it's not been tested in the same way that licensed pharmaceuticals have and you can't be sure of the risks.

Good luck Batteryhen, Wishing and Jodie

batteryhen Wed 07-Sep-11 20:15:52

You should avoid rasberry tea in early pregnancy as it can cause the uterus to contract, so I tried it up until Ovulation, but it was grim so I didn't take it again!

WishingIWasLucky Wed 07-Sep-11 22:09:38

Sorry to Learn of your losses Battery. How much and how long and when did you take the AC for? Did you take other supplements alongside it?Eg b6, d3, dea,etc? Hope you get your sticky BFP soon. Fx

batteryhen Thu 08-Sep-11 06:44:40

Hi Wishing. I have never taken AC - a lot of people I know have to good success though, I did ask in holland and barrat but they said just to wait until I sae my consultant which I did. If you are thinking about it - ask the herbalist first xx

I do take vitamin e - up to ov and I also take d3 and aspirin all the time (seeing Mr Shehata in london who recomended this). I am hoping to get a sticky one soon as I am only just back to normal after my last erpc! x

joycep Thu 08-Sep-11 11:44:48

Jodie - sorry to hear of your struggles. I have been put on cyclogest which are progesterone suppositories for my 10/11 day LP. I was told this was too short. I take it just after i ovulate. My boobs are definitely less sore when i take it and i have a feeling i'm more emotional when on them. It did extend my LP and i had a longer cycle but it artificially delayed AF and as soon as i stoppe them, it was like AF was desperate to arrive! There are mixed opinions about it and i read an article by a top fertility doctor who wrote that if extra progesterone works for some women, it was the exception rather than the rule as apparently there just isn't much evidence to support its use. Great!
Anyway, I hear progesterone cream isn't that effective and the suppositories are best as it gets absorbed more easily. I was popping B6 and found it didn't do anything for my LP. my gynae said she had done research on B6 and found it didn't actually work...yet for some people on here , they say it has! So it's still worth a go.
I still haven't got a bfp yet and in fact progesterone, coupled with hcg injections and clomid , my cycle has never been as short and irregular as it is now. So this month i have stopped everything. Best of luck . Trying one of these things could be just what your body needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now