Talk

Advanced search

Worried: Cycle getting shorter. Cause for concern or not?

(20 Posts)
WishingIWasLucky Wed 07-Sep-11 13:39:35

Regular 28 day cycle, past two cycles has shortened to 27 days, and now period arrived even earlier- turning into 25 day cycle. Is this going to have an impact on fertility. Been ttc without success. Had a miscarriage in March. Very worried. Any/all advice gratefully received. TIA

GenericDietCola Wed 07-Sep-11 14:07:44

I'm in a similar position (last cycle was 24 days and I also had a mc in March). I have had short cycles in the past and took vitamin B6, which helps to lengthen your luteal phase (between ovulation and period). I am no expert as I don't chart or anything, but I think my LP is about 11-12 days, which is OK but it's better if it's about 14 days, so I'm taking B6 again at the moment at a dose of 50mg daily.

I previously had a mc in summer 2008, followed by short cycles and took vit B6. A couple of months later I conceived my DD, so short cycles don't necessarily mean anything bad.

I'm sure others are much more knowledgable on the subject and will be along with good advice.

Best of luck ttc - you'll get there in the end. It's tough when you've had a mc and just want to be pregnant again. I'm struggling with that too.

WishingIWasLucky Wed 07-Sep-11 14:24:59

Gdc: so sorry about your miscarriages. Life can be such a bitch sometimes. Thanks for reassuring me. Will buy some B6 soon. Just really paranoid that may be about to enter the menopause with no kids :-(

GenericDietCola Wed 07-Sep-11 14:35:59

Oh crikey, I forgot to say sorry about your mc too. How old are you (if that's not too rude)? It could be mmore likely to be your mc that is messing about your cycles rather than the menopause.

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:49:11

Hello there Wishing. Again: I am sorry about your MC sad. we have chatted on my thread so I won't repeat myself, only add that I do think that short cycles are my main problem.

I think if you generally have nice 28 dayers you might be all right, with this being your MC playing havoc, as Generic says. I hope you get some answers.

JodieHarsh Wed 07-Sep-11 14:50:00

PS I do recommend Dong Quai. It's pretty early days for me on it but I know it's very very highly thought of as a hormone regulator.

WishingIWasLucky Wed 07-Sep-11 16:24:53

I'm 35. I find all this advice for supplements invaluable. But honestly can't see myself taking so many?!

GenericDietCola Wed 07-Sep-11 20:06:08

Unlikely to be the menopause then Wishing (I'm 35 too). Hope you have success soon.

PieMistress Wed 07-Sep-11 20:40:38

Do you use ovulation sticks? It's possible you might be ovulating earlier ie/ day 10 or 11 hence the 25 day cycle? I used to ovulate on CD11 and have a 26 day cycle. I then went on the pill and when I came off it found that my ovulation had moved to CD16. I've always had a short(ish) ie/ 10 day luteal phase and managed to conceive DS.

I've been charting again now i'm TTC no.2 and had a m/c and after that my cycles are very irregular because my ov date is moving ie/ have had CD16, CD12 and CD19 ovulation days (with an approx 10 LP afterwards).

Might be worth charting using fertility friend or getting some cheapie OPKs from Amazon?

Hope you get a bfp soon x

PieMistress Wed 07-Sep-11 21:07:47

PS - You could also try acupuncture? If you google there are lots of good reports about it in connection with fertility. I have recently started going to try and get my periods a bit more regular after my m/c

PieMistress Wed 07-Sep-11 21:08:39

PPS - Meant to say am sorry about your m/c. It really sucks doesn't it. x

birdsofshoreandsea Wed 07-Sep-11 21:12:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joycep Thu 08-Sep-11 07:24:32

Hi wishing, sorry about your m/c. I am in the same boat. I had a regular 28 day cycle until my m/c over a year ago. It did something to my cycle as it has been getting shorter and shorter and has never gone back to what itside to be. Last month was just 21 days. It has also been causing me some concern. I know when I conceived I was ovulating around day 17 and now it is around day 14, last month day 12 so as someone mentioned above it could be you're ovulating earlier. I have spoken to my gynae and my gp and they just seem to shrug their shoulders and say that the m/c has reset things and a 24 day cycle is normal apparently. I will mention the 21 day cycle when I next see them as I know that's not normal!
Best of luck - it is all so hard and worrying .

WishingIWasLucky Thu 08-Sep-11 08:16:54

Piemistress: Thankyou for your advice. Will get the OPKs and try FF.
Birdsofshoreandsea: congratulations! Did you use OPKs? How did you pinpoint which day ovulated?
Joycep: Its so frustrating, isn't it? I've read that article about cycles getting shorter due to getting older, thereby impinging negatively on fertility. But I also stumbled across something on dr google, which said that you were more fertile (for a third of the cycle), than someone with a 28 day cycle (for a quarter of the cycle). Don't know what to make of it?! Another website said as you approach the menopause the body tries to drop the eggs quicker?! Good/bad/true/false?!
Please let there be at least ONE baby for us!

joycep Thu 08-Sep-11 11:16:28

Wishing - it's really frustrating. I just can't understand how an early m/c has messed up my body and seems to have never got back to it's usual self. It happened 16 cycles ago. God it freaks me out that M word. I'm 31 , it can't be yet!! I have always thought a short cycle is bad. But I have had an AMH test and although it wasn't great for my age my gynae did reassure me and say i wasn't going to go through the M soon (of course i secretly think she is lying and just saying reassuring things to make me less panicked!)
Have you noticed there is a link between some of us on here saying our short cycles happened after a m/c. That makes me think it has messed around with our hormones and reset things. a m/c surely can't bring on the menopause can it?? I think if your LP is of a good length then in theory it should be fine. Mine is only 10.
Anyway, try not to google - i have found that to be the cause of many a sleepless night blush

WishingIWasLucky Thu 08-Sep-11 11:44:20

Joycep- how can you confirm your ovulation day eith such certainty? Do you temp or do opk?

joycep Thu 08-Sep-11 11:49:30

I use to use opks and temp. I would get my smiley face and then 2 days later my temp would shoot up. So i just temp around ovulation time now as those opks are so expensive and puts the pressure on a bit!

WishingIWasLucky Thu 08-Sep-11 11:52:10

So, as I'm rubbish at this- please explain! If opk smiled, your temp spiked 2 days later- when did you ovulate? When smiled? When temP shot up? Or the day in the middle of the two?

joycep Thu 08-Sep-11 13:48:21

I believe it would have been in the middle, i.e. the day after it smiled and the day before temp rise.

birdsofshoreandsea Thu 08-Sep-11 20:08:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now