Talk

Advanced search

can someone help

(11 Posts)
Springtime26 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:24:13

This is my 1st post on here
Me and husband have just decided to try for a baby. My last period was on 13th august and my cycles are about 33-34 days, so period due about 16th September. when do you think the earliest I can do a pregnancy test is?
Also in last couple of days I have noticed increased urgency and frequency when going for a wee. Could this be a sign or is it a UTI (I don't normally suffer with UTI's). and if so should I see the gp or can just deal with it by drinking lots of water.
Thank you

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 05-Sep-11 18:31:18

Do a pregnancy test when your period is due. Any earlier will just lead to confusing results.
As regards a uti, does it burn when you pee or sting afterwards? If it does, go to your GP. It's really important to nip utis in the bud.believe me leaving it will just make it worse (it'll track to your kidney). I have first hand experience of that!

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 05-Sep-11 18:32:08

Oops sorry maybe sounded a bit harsh. All the best ttc! smile

eurochick Mon 05-Sep-11 18:35:28

I hear you faith. I have mostly blocked out the memory of kidney infection pain but not quite enough to resist the urge to drink daft amounts of water each day!

RollingInTheAisles Mon 05-Sep-11 18:37:12

Do you know when you ovulated? About 12 days past I usually see a faint positive, if I am pregnant. It varies by person and test though and some get a positive a couple of days before and some not until they're due (and even a few afterwards).

Biscuitsandtea Mon 05-Sep-11 18:38:08

Hi Springtime,

I would guess it is probably best to wait until say 14 or 15 days after ovulation at the earliest? If you're not monitoring ovulation then it's difficult to say. The safest things is to wait until your period is actually due (or hopefully late!). If you test before then and get a negative you may just find you tested too early and can't rely on the answer. You can get a false negative with the tests if there is not enough HCG in your system yet, but a false positive is rare (if not impossible?).

So the danger of testing too early is that you just don't believe the answer if it isn't positive!

I think the test that advertises the earliest testing is the First Response Early Response and that says you can test up to 6 days before your period is due. However, if you test that early it only has a fairly low percentage of correctly identified positive results (ie still gives a lot of false negatives). I forget the percentages off the top of my head.

The other thing about testing early, even if you do get a positive result is that you could still have a chemical pregnancy (which is like a really early miscarriage - before early testing people would have just thought it was their period arrived on time as normal) so depends if you'd rather know about that or not.

Incidentally, there is no reason why you should be monitoring ovulation at this early stage in ttc - it adds more pressure than is necessary unless you suspect there is a problem.

Anyway, apologies, that has turned into rather a lengthy post - hope it's not too rambling and makes a bit of sense.

If I've not been clear - please say so and I can try again smile

Oh and good luck - hope you get a positive result nice and quickly.

2cats2many Mon 05-Sep-11 18:38:41

Do a test after the 16th. I really, really hope that you are pregnant, but the cost of those tests really stack up, so try not to do too many before your period is late anyway.

Good luck smile

Springtime26 Mon 05-Sep-11 19:19:55

Thank you all for your advise. I won't do a test till the 16th although I really want to smile
I don't really get any burning or stinging when having wee.

Biscuitsandtea Wed 14-Sep-11 09:41:03

Just wondered how you were getting on Springtime?

Havingkittens Wed 14-Sep-11 09:55:26

If you're not having any discomfort when you are weeing it's worth bearing in mind that frequent and urgent urination is often one of the first signs of pregnancy wink

kat2504 Wed 14-Sep-11 10:17:14

I have had UTIs with no symptoms of pain or discomfort, just increased frequency and feeling of not being able to empty my bladder properly.

Go to the docs or nearest walk in clinic, do a sample and ask if the nurse can dipstick test it. It will only take a few minutes and if you do have a uti then you can get it treated.

Good luck with your pregnancy test smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now