Talk

Advanced search

anybody manage to conceive in the first month?

(25 Posts)
princesss Sun 04-Sep-11 20:09:18

weve just started trying to conceive dc2, after our first ds was a happy accident so never really tried before....so no idea how long it will take...i have PCOS but just had my fertility checked and the levels r good atm, they fluctuate and therefore my fertility has been very low before, some months i dont ovulate at all, i can go three months regular periods then nothing for 7 months so praying that ttc will be quick!

anyone conceived in the first month?

newmom35 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:14:07

We did with Dc2, i had worked out my dates so knew when the best time to try would be, however did think it'll take a bit longer!! grin Good luck.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 04-Sep-11 20:15:04

Yes. I too have PCOS and used a digital ovulation kit.

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 04-Sep-11 20:15:50

Yes, twice, but we were lucky. On "average" it takes 6 months, or so I have heard.

Good luck princess. smile

KirstyJC Sun 04-Sep-11 20:16:21

Yup. All three times! Poor DH was looking forward to a bit more practising....grin

planetpotty Sun 04-Sep-11 20:16:31

Ovulation sticks are very good for knowing your fertile days also there are natural signs - have a google if you dont know them smile

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sun 04-Sep-11 20:18:04

Yes twice, agree ovulation sticks are a good idea

shesparkles Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:00

I'm another one with 100% success rate for 2 pregnancies. The first one I'd just come off the pill and conceived, and with the 2nd I had a mirena coil removed and it happened again. Didn't think we'd get so lucky the 2nd time!

Good luck! smile

princesss Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:01

thanks everyone, we have been having sex every day since my period last ended, going to stop after ovulation and fingers crossed!! my ds1 took 4 months after i was told i had very low fertility!

HappyAsASandboy Sun 04-Sep-11 20:23:43

Yup, first time for us. And we had twins grin

HeidiHole Sun 04-Sep-11 20:27:06

Yes we did, used ovulation sticks but also ensured that we DTD every other day from CD 8 to CD 16 so the ovulation sticks were almost irrelevant , more for interest

funnypeculiar Sun 04-Sep-11 20:32:13

Yes, with DD - with no particular checking of dates/organisation. I've heard 6 months is about average too.

bilblio Sun 04-Sep-11 20:43:20

Yes, both times.
The first time I worked out my dates.
The second time we were only supposed to be "practising" so I hadn't worked out my dates... but I should have done. I didn't really want to get pregnant quite so quickly because I'd got tickets to see Pulp in Hyde Park and didn't want to be 5 months pregnant... but I was, and have SPD, so there was limited dancing. grin

I've heard on average it takes 12 months (which is also why I hadn't expected it 2nd time around.) But me, my SIL, and my friend all got pregnant in the 1st month, that's 8 pregnancies in all.... so when people are struggling I usually explain how to work out your dates, and then apologise for us lot skewing the figures!

notnearlyasblondasiwas Sun 04-Sep-11 20:50:47

Yes twice. Just had a lot of sex!

banana87 Sun 04-Sep-11 20:51:48

We have 5 times. Fertile Myrtle here.

stripedcat Sun 04-Sep-11 20:52:14

Yes we did DS1 (I might add at the age of 38 and after grim predictions from hormone tests - so lots of hope out there!)

eurochick Sun 04-Sep-11 22:15:58

Almost everyone I know has got pregnant in the first month or two, or it has taken a really long time and often some help. There seems to be very little in the middle. I think the averages come out from those two extremes.

That would certainly be the case among my circle of friends (two managed to get pregnant first month or two with 5 kids between them now, one had IVF so took about 2 years of trying and treatment, one is waiitng for IVF and it will probably be around 2 years of trying before she has her first round, one has had three miscarriages in a year so that will be another long one). So the average on that straw poll would be around a year but everyone individually is at one extreme or the other.

Yes twice, and I have PCOS.

poppettuk Sun 04-Sep-11 22:22:34

Yes caught first time with dd2 but took 6 months with ds1. Didn't work out when I was fertile or anything second time as expected it to take 6 months again so just started "trying"

PottyRefusnik Sun 04-Sep-11 22:25:11

When I was TTC it seemed everybody else seemed to get pg straight away!

One of the fertility consultants I spoke with said that for people under 35 , 6 months is pretty average but that anything under 12-15 months was totally normal (though very frustrating!).

I have a foot in both camps, it took 3 years for DD1, but only one impulsive night to get DD2!

princesss Sun 04-Sep-11 22:37:19

we are trying every day, but ive been researching about maybe every other day is actually better, did any of you try every day? weve only just started, not sure we will be able to keep every day up for a year!!!

PottyRefusnik Sun 04-Sep-11 22:44:59

We were recommended the SMEP plan (detailed here ). It didn't work for us but it turned out there were other problems so no fault of the SMEP plan.

In fact 'to smep' became a verb in our house, ie 'are we smepping tonight?'

RollingInTheAisles Sun 04-Sep-11 22:50:43

Yes, twice. First time because cycles were really predictable and really knew when ovulating. Second time used OPK because longer less predictable cycle.

Offspring Mon 05-Sep-11 03:43:02

DC1 I got pregnant first try. DC2 was in the third month of trying. The first month after my period returned (I was breastfeeding and DD was 9 months) we didn't actively try as I had no idea what my cycle would be like. The second month of trying we had sex every day and the third month (when I actually got pregnant) we had sex every second day from when my period ended to a week after I should have finished ovulating. Good luck.

tryingtoleave Mon 05-Sep-11 04:23:55

Twice for me too. I get ovulation cramps so always know when I'm ovulating. It did make me thankful I had never taken any risks before though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now