Talk

Advanced search

What do you make of my statistics? Menstrual cycle length - unusually long?

(4 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 02-Sep-11 20:55:40

So I have been casually thinking of TTC in the next while and have a period tracker on my iphone.

Always had irregular periods and never knew when to expect it (apart from sore boobs - controlled by Evening Oil)

Have put my details into iphone and my last 4 menstrual sysles have been:
43, 35, 82 nd 42 days respectively.

What are my realistic chances of finding it easy to conceive? The clear blue fertility monitor is only suitable for people with cycles up to 42 days.

Am I very unusual?

Panicking slightly

littlejesamiah Fri 02-Sep-11 21:01:46

This sounds like me have a go that's the only way you will find out. Or speak to your gp and see what they say

eurochick Fri 02-Sep-11 21:32:34

You won't know until you give it a go but those stats make it more difficult to predict your ovulation (typically 12-16 days before your period).

You can use OPKs on longer cycles (although this can get expensive) but if I were you I would just give it a go for a few cycles before getting technical. You could also temp to see if you are ovulating (some longer cycles can be anovulatory from what I have read) but again, I would just try for a few cycles first and try to have fun before getting technical.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 03-Sep-11 09:38:26

Pink

Such problems are more common than people realise.

With cycles like those, you will likely find it hard in order to conceive (speaking as someone too who has always had irregular periods with resultant long non ovulatory cycles). With consistently long cycles as well you may not be ovulating at all (it is quite possible to have periods without ovulating).

I would talk to your GP about this and have blood tests done to see what your hormone levels are like; such long cycles can have an underlying cause. In that regard PCOS and or thyroid problems should be looked for in these blood tests. If either are there then they can be treated with the help of a gynae at a subfertility unit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now