Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive while breastfeeding... is there anything I can do? Don't want to give up BFing yet...

(9 Posts)
lucy101 Fri 02-Sep-11 13:42:11

Hi there,

My DS is just 6 months and as I now 40 (and there were some questions about my fertility last time) my GP has advised me to give up BFing so I can get pregnant again (as he knows I really do want to try for another).

However it was a long and rocky road to BF my son (via tongue tie, reflux, milk protein allergy etc.) and I am really loath to do this as it seems very important to both me and him (he does have formula top ups for 3 feeds though as I could never get to 100% BF).

I have had no periods yet and am wondering whether there is anything I can do to help (as I assume I am not ovulating)?

I was just wondering whether specifically giving up night versus day feeds made a difference, or whether a slower or more sudden giving up would help.

I feel completely torn on this and have delayed the decision for another month but need to decide what to do....

Any advice would be very gratefully received...

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:37:32

I got pregnant twice when breastfeeding. Lots of people do. I had no periods between DC either. Lots of people say giving up night feeds helps but there's little evidence either way. Go with your gut instincts. Frankly another two months isn't going to make much difference in the scheme of things when it comes to conception is it? I'd just carry on and see what happens and then review things again in a few months. smile

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Fri 02-Sep-11 21:18:39

I had DC1 at 37 after 5 years of TTC. DC2 at 40 after 2.6 years of trying and a lot of help. I was told at this point that I couldn't have any more kids. I now have 3DC grin DC3 came despite BFing DC2 up to 10 times a day smile

lucy101 Sat 03-Sep-11 10:39:18

Hi there - that is very cheering indeed! I am going to start trying and cross my fingers that I might be as lucky as both of you...

twotesttickles Sat 03-Sep-11 17:54:45

FYI the trick is to have sex every few days so there is always sperm hanging about ready to roll if an egg hares round the corner! smile

Jules125 Sat 03-Sep-11 18:41:13

Hi there,

I am 40 also and my EBF DD is nearly 9 months now - also thinking about another given my advanced years.

My periods came back about 11-12 weeks after she was born and I think that was because she slept through the night 7pm-7am from about 6 weeks (lucky me I know - though she doesn't now! So I think a longish period without BF (probably at any time of day) can trigger a return. You could try swapping some feeds for formula.

Alternatively, you could just wait a few more months and see if DS takes to weaning fast as this might help trigger a return also. Yes, you should not wait too long at 40 if you are certain you want another but you could probably wait just a few months longer without really affecting your chances that much ...

lucy101 Sat 03-Sep-11 19:02:48

Thank you for the new tips - I think I am going to try and night wean (or at least give him some formula during the night) and then after my holiday in two weeks (I don't want to unsettle him any more) will try and have longer gaps between his day feeds - he loves food we are discovering so that's very good news indeed.

legallyblond Sat 03-Sep-11 19:41:56

Hi there

Just wanted to say that if you feel your DS isn't ready todrop night feeds, I wouldn't do it... I have ebf DD all the way and now have periods again, despite still bf, specifically despite her still feeding LOADS at night.

DD is now 10.5 months and my periods came back when she was about 7.5 months. i think they came back because she started having 3 proper meals a day (I did baby led weaning) and, of her own accord, dropped from bfs every 2 hours in the day (yes, really...) to only 2 bfs all day. She continued and aontinues now to bf every 3 hours at night.

I feel she still needs the security of night bfs... if you don't want to drop the night feeds, have faith as your periods are likely to come back in a month or 2 anyway as your DS moves to solids.

PS - I am TTC from Jan and expepect to still be bf at night!

legallyblond Sat 03-Sep-11 19:43:15

Please excuse the typos...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now