Talk

Advanced search

where to start???

(10 Posts)
hayles789 Thu 01-Sep-11 22:59:15

Hello everybody. This is my first post as me and my OH are looking to start ttc. However, I'm not even sure where to begin and surely there must be more to it then just throwing away the contraception and locking ourselves in the bedroom for the weekend?!

I have started reading through some of your threads on here but I'd just like to cover some of the basics about when and how often to do the deed, any guidance with those little ovulation sticks, then when to do a pregnancy test. Am completely and utterly clueless. Have spent the last ten years so terrified of getting pregnant that now the time may actually be here it feels very bizarre indeed. I've been off the combined pill for some time now but have no idea if I am even ovulating or when I do. Argh, never realised there was so much to think about!

banjaxedfilly Thu 01-Sep-11 23:35:49

Maybe just keep track of your cycles and shag with intent every two to three days from about day 8?

You could invest in a clear blue fertility monitor which tells you the days of your highest fertility but they're pricey. If you're not in a hurry trying can be fun and a lot easier than entering the world of STRESS that can come with monitoring.

Best of luck.

Pipbin Thu 01-Sep-11 23:42:07

Well rule of thumb is to do the deed every two to three days. That way you are sure to hit the prime time.
I have found checking my cervical mucus to be the best indicator. It's what you see on the paper after you wipe. When it is clear and stretchy like egg white then go at it. From what I understand you ovulate after that has finished but the more sex you have before hand the better. I would use the ovulation stick around that time to get a better idea.

I am just the same. You spend all that time convinced that just seeing a willy will make you pregnant and when you want to it seems so involved.

I came off the pill and had two cycles before things go back to normal. I suggest getting the fertility friend phone app (I think it's called that) to track your cycle and use OPK stick to confirm ovulation, I didn't ovulate for the first two cycles off the pill.

Remember, we can help here and there are many who know lots more than me. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

eurochick Fri 02-Sep-11 12:41:54

To start with, do exactly what you have said - throw away the contraception and lock yourselves in the bedroom (particularly around two weeks or so before you expect your period). Don't get caught up in the other stuff before you need to because it is pretty miserable shagging when you have to, and peeing on OPKs, etc.

kat2504 Fri 02-Sep-11 12:59:45

I agree with eurochick. For the first 4-6 months, don't do anything apart from shag like bunnies. If you are having regular sex, ideally 3 times a week, you have a good chance of getting pregnant within 6 months. Anything up to 12 months is still not considered a problem. Have plenty of sex, especially between days 8 and 18 of your cycle. If you are getting 4 in within that period of time you have a very good chance. Remember that even if you do everything right, you only have a 25% chance of conception each month.
After 6 months, getting impatient is quite understandable and that might be the time to crack out the ovulation tests. If you go down the testing route, try not to make it too much of a stress on your sex life. When I did ovulation tests, I knew I was having loads of sex anyway, so performance on demand was not required. I couldn't be arsed with any of the temping stuff, it seemed too much hassle. And not very romantic either.
I have an app called ovuview on my phone. you let it know when you are having a period and based on your cycle it predicts what days you are fertile and most fertile. You can tell it when you have had sex so you can look over the calendar at the end of the month and evaluate if you were getting enough or not.

hayles789 Fri 02-Sep-11 20:18:59

thank you all for the great advice, all very helpful thoughts. Am currently waiting for AF to come and go so we can get started and look forward to ovulation grin

alexeliza Fri 02-Sep-11 21:43:16

Good luck with everything Hayles!
I'm in a similar position - having done everything to avoid getting pregnant over the years I'm now so "ready" to fall pregnant and it seems over-whelming where/how to get started.
I have even been down to chat through with my GP (I have a blood disorder which I need to take into consideration) and she has mentioned to avoid testing for ovulation in the first few months and instead just make an effort to try and have sex every 3-4 days. On that basis it seems so "easy" but I have to admit I'm a bit of a control freak, and I'll want to know how my cycle will work once I come off the pill (we're going to start ttc immediately after xmas)!
Hope everything goes well.

hayles789 Fri 02-Sep-11 23:28:56

alexeliza it's nice to know I am not the only newbie to all of this. I'm still trying to get to grips with my cycle and I came off the pill eighteen months ago now. Looking forward to recognising the signs of ovulation because at the moment I don't have a blinkin clue! Best of luck to you. I hope to read about how your getting on smile

Would it be worth going to see my GP? Does anyone know what they would do/ what checks they would do if I told them we were ttc?

kat2504 Sat 03-Sep-11 07:58:27

No your GP will just tell you take folic acid and give you some healthy living advice. And tell you to have sex.
They will not be in the slightest bit interested until you have been ttc for at least a year without success. 85% of people have conceived within this time so I wouldn't worry about that for now! By the sounds of it you haven't been ttc since you have been off the pill? If you have been trying for 18 months thats different.

hayles789 Sat 03-Sep-11 09:14:19

kat2504 I will just go out and buy some folic acid then and not bother with GP appointment if that's all they do. We haven't been ttc since I came off the pill as it hasn't been the right time for us for a number of reasons. Cannot wait to get started!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now