Talk

Advanced search

How do I tell DH? (and checking there's something to tell)

(16 Posts)
Mrsctobe Thu 01-Sep-11 21:27:24

So after 3 months TTC and having convinced myself my short luteal phase (9/10 days) was going to stop us conceiving naturally I have had a BFP this afternoon!! smile

It was on a ClearBlue (not digital) test, the one where it makes a cross if it's positive. I brought it home to show/tell DH, but now it's showing negative! I really didn't imagine it - I had a faint line on a HPT yesterday but didn't want to tell DH until I was sure.

So, is it normal for ClearBlue to go back to negative after a few hours?

Also was so convinced we weren't going to conceive that I had bought a CBFM, booked acupuncture appointment AND bought 50mg Vit B6 to start using next month. So I haven't planned how to tell DH! He's been working silly hours this week and says he wont be home til after midnight, so we have 2h30 to come up with a plan... smile

Suggestions please!

no1childminder Thu 01-Sep-11 21:49:40

hi, leaflets in the test packets do say that any reading after a certain amount of time arent valid. this may be why. although saying that my clearblue digital positives still said it the next day. but all tests are different!

please dont think this is you, but i took 3 clearblue, non digital tests, which came out positive (faint but were def there) but 2 supermarket brands said negative, then i came on my period 2 days later. was so cruel! i assuming these were false positives, and a couple of my friends say not to use them as this is known to happen.

if i were you id buy a digital one and use that instead. please let me know how it goes. fingers crossed!!

Mrsctobe Thu 01-Sep-11 22:08:26

Oh NO! Thanks for the quick response No1, maybe I will just focus on getting to sleep before DH gets home and then tell him tomorrow if it's still positive then. So clearblue digital is the gold standard in tests?

Mrsctobe Fri 02-Sep-11 07:46:28

Hmmm have just done first response with FMU and it's still positive. But still only a very faint line. If it's 48 hours since I got my BFP with the cheapy internet thing, should I get getting a thick line by now if the HCG has doubled and everything is ok? OR am I being impatient?! Not sure I can keep up with this TTC rollercoaster sad

GingerbreadGiraffe Fri 02-Sep-11 07:58:17

HI
How many DPO are you? could you be testing early?

I think FR test are pretty reliable

farfallarocks Fri 02-Sep-11 08:44:21

The thickness of the line does not mean anything, there are different amounts of dye in each of the tests (even 2 in the same packet) There is a good section on this on www.peeonastick.com

Congratulations!

harassedandherbug Fri 02-Sep-11 10:23:58

I agree with farfalla, it's not the strength of the line, it's the fact that it's there at all! As they say, a positive is a positive.

If it helps, I'm now 24 wks with a faint line on an Amazon cheapie!!!

iskra Fri 02-Sep-11 10:31:33

A line is a line! Congratulations!

WishingIWasLucky Fri 02-Sep-11 11:11:42

Congratulation Mrs!

Mrsctobe Fri 02-Sep-11 19:03:00

Aw thanks guys! smile

Am only 12 DPO - O'd on day 20 this month and usually have 9-10 day luteal phase so guess that is still very early days. Sure like most people I won't relax until there's a baby here but am going to tell DH when he gets in tonight! Suddenly feeling very grown up! (And nervous)

Hopefully the short luteal phase gang can take some comfort too!

duckdodgers Fri 02-Sep-11 22:33:47

"So clearblue digital is the gold standard in tests?" - no they are not, they are not as sensitive actually as a lot of other non branded tests eg Superdrug.

Congrats!!

WishingIWasLucky Fri 02-Sep-11 22:40:15

That's twice tonight I've heard of short luteal phase success. We ( probably like most people) are all shagged out by the end of the so called accepted fertile window! Not any more! Gonna stuff him with zinc and keep going for a bit longer. So much rubbish out there about short luteal phases not being able to support pregnancy confused. here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy Mrs! x

Mama5isalive Sat 03-Sep-11 00:44:09

Congratulations Mrs - Take the positive and hold on to it! try not to get to caught up with anything else! Heres too a non-problem, no sickness or extreme weight gain, happy healthy baby(s) to you! and too 1 and all xxx who r (TTC)

LikeACandleButNotQuite Sat 03-Sep-11 00:59:06

Get a Boots own jobbie. £2 odd and very sensitive. Keep their line too, mines tucked away 25 weeks after my bfp, still shining positive. If Id stuck with dgital, i'd probs have been a few months preg before I realised, they are NOT the gold standard

gillyglops Sat 03-Sep-11 01:12:08

Am new around here, but wanted to say congratulations on your positive smile and hope all goes extremely well for you.

MeconiumHappens Sun 04-Sep-11 18:57:41

I also ov day 20 and usually have 10-11 day lutea and am now 6+3 on third month trying. Pffft to short luteal! smile
The clearblue digi stays on the screen for about 24 hrs.
Congrats!!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now