Talk

Advanced search

Are light periods a cause for concern

(10 Posts)
IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Tue 30-Aug-11 20:15:56

DH & I have been TTC for over 4 years now with a early MC at 5 week in March 2010 and an empty sac found at 11 weeks in January this year.

My periods have always been very manageable, but can be quite painful in the first 24/48 hours. This period has been very light (Deff not PG) which has got me thinking if it is actually normal, and if would have any impact on TTC

Sorry for TMI, but this is how my last period panned out as an example:
Saturday temperature plummeted so knew AF was on way, had a few twinges then by about 5pm started bleeding lightly. Used a light tampon, changed to another light when I went to bed that evening. Painful cramping kept me awake that night.
Sunday, used a medium tampon, changed later that afternoon although it was still slightly dry. Used light tampon overnight but had to remove it at 6am as it was too uncomfortable as it was so dry.
Monday, light tampon used in the morn/early afternoon. Removed and nothing else used that day or night - no bleeding.
Today, light tampon used this morning but had to remove it at lunchtime as again it was so dryt it was uncomfortable. No bleeding since.

Does this sound fairly normal?
Thanks!

ticklebumpkin Tue 30-Aug-11 20:18:14

Don't know about any conception stuff really but just wanted to say that I have a short cycle (about 23 days) and only have a period for about two days.

Conceived two DC without any issues.

I hope that is helpful, sorry if it isn't. I hope you get a positive test soon.

MiniH Tue 30-Aug-11 20:35:06

Mine are lighter than yours and two gp and a consultant have dismissed it as not an issue. Am still not convinced but am having ultrasound next month to check lining of womb as part of hycosy so will see for myself then. I know it sounds daft not to believe doc's but I just can't see how there would be enough to implant in, but as I said mine are lighter even than yours. Sorry, that's prob not much help but doc's seem to say light period no issue if otherwise you are ovulating.

gruffalo2008 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:34:00

Hi, so sorry to hear about your losses. Did you have a D&C after either of your miscarriages? The only reason I ask, is that a D& C can cause something called Ashermans Syndrome, which causes scarring in the uterus and can cause very light or even no periods at all. Might be worth having a look at www.Ashermans.org and keep it in the back of your mind, especially if your periods have got very light after a D &C.

X

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Tue 30-Aug-11 21:44:32

Thanks for your replies.
gruffalo No, I never needed any intervention, all came away naturally, although I did notice that they were lighter than ever since the last MC.

ticklebumpkin that is reassuring to know smile

MiniH good luck with your ultrasound - and you have said exactly what I was thinking. I can't understand why some womens can be so heavy without wondering if I'm not producing enough to implant in. Gah - you can end yourself crazy worrying about every single little thing, you have all put my mind at rest, thanks!

Kyrie Tue 30-Aug-11 23:29:30

I've got the opposite problem going on - 7-8 day long periods. I have just started going to acupuncture and was told ideal condition for implantation is a 4 -6 day period. Too short to do with lack of estrogen and too long lack of progesterone. Obviously short or long periods don't stop you conceiving but maybe indicate a bit of an imbalance / might make it more difficult.

Don't know if your into acupuncture but might be worth a try if you are really worrying about it.

HoHoLaughingMonster Wed 31-Aug-11 00:03:02

Mine are very light too. They've got progressively lighter as I've got older, I'm 35 now. Becuase of secondary infertility I've had every test under the sun including a lap and dye to check my womb and tube, and hormone tests and there's absolutely nothing wrong with me.

Have you had tests? Has your DP been tested?

dontcarehow Wed 31-Aug-11 09:27:38

I've been wondering the same thing, I've only just had one after coming off the pill a year ago and it was so light it was hardly worth bothering with. considering that before I went on the pill I had periods that would last upwards of 10 days and was changing every half hour... anyway, I was thinking it might be weight related, I was much heavier when I was fatter, but now I've lost some weight they are light, how's your weight?

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Wed 31-Aug-11 18:21:33

HoHo I've had my day 21 & thyroid test and DH has had a SA all were "fine" apparently - they didnt elaborate further! hmm

dontcarehow My weight has actually slightly increased. My BMI is currenlty 26 (slightly overweight)

whereismywine Wed 31-Aug-11 18:35:47

Hi, this worries me too. Your periods sound similar to mine but I do get 2 days of spotting either side. Anyhow, I had my ultrasound as part of infertility testing on cd 21 (by chance) and she said I had an excellent lining with thickness good enough for implantation. I found it a bit hard to believe as it doesn't feel 'enough' to me, but there you go. Also, my friend had v light periods and had no trouble conceiving. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now