Talk

Advanced search

Really really fed up but is it worth a trip to GP?

(15 Posts)
PollyRoxs Tue 30-Aug-11 18:21:59

I am really fed up by my current situation of having stopped taking the mini pill back in June (75 very long frustrating days of checking to see if anything is happening!!!) and since then have had no periods. I have done a couple of tests just to be clear i am not pregnant. BFN every time sad

I know there a couple of other ladies out there who have had long waits and unpredictable cycles after coming off the pill. I would like a bit of advice if it is worth going to see my GP to see if they can give me anything to get things going etc. I just feel that as I am 37 (38 in December) every month this goes on is a month lost.

Any tips would be gratefully received before I waste GP time when there is not much they can do for me.

Thanks

margerykemp Tue 30-Aug-11 18:38:38

Did you really expect to be pg after 2 months?

Louiseteacher30 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:46:23

Aww Margerykemp I do think that's a little unfair on OP... when we start this journey we all think it will happen the first month, we are told from 13 years old not to have sex because you will fall pregnant first time.

Pollyroxs it may take longer than this especially if you have been on the pill for a long time. I would go to the drs anyway as they are the experts. You can also book private fertility scans at approx £120 and they will give you information about the condition of your ovaries and uterus, I have found this reassuring in the past and well worth the money. Your DH could also have a sperm analysis done through the dr's to rule out any possible issues- knowledge is power!

Louise

Discolite Tue 30-Aug-11 18:48:00

Margerykemp if you read the post properly it says the OP is concerned not at not being pregnant after two months but concerned because she hasn't had her first period since coming off the pill.

I would go and see the GP, I think you have a valid concern about your age. I'm sure they see people who have much more piddling concerns than you.

eurochick Tue 30-Aug-11 18:58:55

margerykemp at least try to read the OP before launching in with snippy comments.

I would go and see the GP. They can give you something to induce a bleed and that might kickstart your cycle. It is unlikely that they will start investigations at this point, but if they will there is no harm getting in the system and getting bloods done, etc.

Pipbin Tue 30-Aug-11 21:40:48

Margery For your information coming off the pill can cause a hormone surge and many women get pregnant without having a period at all. So actually its quite possible. Anyway had you read the post she wasn't expecting to, just the lack of periods caused her to test.

Polly I would go to the GP. After all what harm can it do? I'm the same age as you and I know what you mean when you say that every month going past seems a waste.

EightiesChick Tue 30-Aug-11 21:44:42

There isn't much to lose in going to the GP, surely? It's just the time taken to go to the appointment. So if s/he says they can't do anything then you're no worse off. I would go. Also it sometimes helps to get a marker in, as it were, about a particular situation because then if it's still going on 6 months later you can go back and raise it again, and there's a record that it's been an issue for a while.

Tigresswoods Tue 30-Aug-11 21:53:00

Yeah I had the same, I once had 90 days with no AF. Turned out I have PCOS. I tracked everything and took my findings to the Dr.

Get thee to the GP to discuss.

birdofthenorth Tue 30-Aug-11 22:18:14

I was on the pill 10 years, took about 3 months before my regular cycle kicked in, it's frustrating but it'll happen. No harm in doing Harley St tests etc except I imagine that doing so before you're even in the full throws of TTC will not lead to stress-free love-making.

ellangirl Wed 31-Aug-11 07:06:47

They can give you progesterone-type things which you stay on for a bit then when you come off you have a bleed, but in my experience that in itself messes up your cycles for a while. See them if you're concerned, but perhaps consider other things- acupuncture perhaps? Lots of the assisted conception ladies on here have tried this.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 31-Aug-11 08:38:01

If you have not had any periods at all since coming off the pill you are best advised to go to the GPs now. Don't leave it.

Usually such problems are caused by hormonal imbalances and blood tests can and should be done to look for PCOS and thyroid problems. What the pill often does is mask symptoms of any underlying hormonal imbalance; such imbalances only become apparant when the pill is stopped.

The pill also leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet so its not the pill doing this now. Something else is happening here.

dontcarehow Wed 31-Aug-11 09:24:41

Go to the doctors, but you might want to be careful with what you say to them about how long, they might turn you away because they recommend waiting X amount of time after coming off the pill before doing anything (although not sure if its the same for someone your age, not to be rude or anything) its usually 6 months to a year. I went after I hadn't had one for 6 months and it turned out I had thyroid disease. but I've only just had a period after almost exactly a year of stopping the pill. so not to upset you, but they do say it can take up to a year. unfortunatley, they never say it before you go on the pill, only after when there turns out to be a problem!

PollyRoxs Wed 31-Aug-11 16:52:17

Thanks Ladies for the constructive advice and lots of good suggestions. I have booked to see GP next week as I do think it for the best to have a chat, and if told I have to wait for longer then so be it. I had only been on the pill for about 18 months so I would not have thought it would have messed things up so much, and prior to that I had a very regular cycles. We are all so different when it comes to these things.

whereismywine Wed 31-Aug-11 18:25:30

Just chipping in, I was on the pill for 10-11 years and it took 11 months for my period to come back and then it was back to a 29 day cycle. I went back on the pill a few years later for 18 months and it took 3-4 months to reappear when I stopped again. I wasn't ttc either time though - if I had of been I'd have been bloody frustrated. The first time, the doc did say they could give me something to kick start it, I just chose to wait a bit longer. So, it could just be taking a while to get going again rather than anything more sinister but I'd go to the gp and find out what your options are.

nicobean Wed 31-Aug-11 21:01:15

I've been there too and you are SO right to get to the GP ASAP. I had exactly the same problem when I came off the pill and the cause turned out to be lack of ovulation which was fixed by clomid. I had progesterone trials twice and it did sod all except to give me the worst PMS ever.

With DD1 I never actually had a period before I got pregnant with her (approx 18mths after stopping the pill).

Don't let them fob you off with "this happens to a lot of people when they come off the pill". Keep going back till you get the tests you need.

Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now