Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone watch the documentary on surrogecy?

(4 Posts)
Italiangreyhound Mon 29-Aug-11 23:46:08

Last night I watched a great documentary on iplayer which was on the BBC about a week ago. It was

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b013y232/Im_Pregnant_with_Their_Baby/

Italiangreyhound Mon 29-Aug-11 23:47:37

It was very interesting and also (I felt) kind of gave some more of the story of why people wanted to be helped by surrogates and why others wanted to be surrogates.

It showed how these young women (one who was only just turning 20) felt, what they thought about it all, but it did not quite paint the full picture of infertility. One couple were quite dead pan and although they said all the things about emotion they were rather quiet and laid back! I felt in some ways that people who were very expressive and 'gushing' about the whole experience would be more ‘interesting’/likely to secure help from a person wanting to be a surrogate. I mean that the surrogate might really appreciate someone who kept in touch, said a lot, did a lot, etc.

Yet any couple who has had years of infertility and failed treatment may find it harder to be that expressive and to actually acknowledge that this might really work for them.

I just felt quite emotional watching it - sympathy and care for all the people, it was a really good documentary in that rather than just feeling that I was watching someone else life as a kind of ‘voyeur’, I was actually interested and concerned and learning something – if you see what I mean!

I would love to hear from anyone else who has watched it and has any views on the documentary.

No worries if no one wants to comment.

eurochick Tue 30-Aug-11 11:09:33

There was a long thread on AIBU about this and a couple of people posted towards the end saying they were two of the three women the programme focussed on. You should be able to find it if you search for surrogacy.

Italiangreyhound Tue 30-Aug-11 11:24:11

Thanks, eurochick, found it, it is at

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1286107-Im-pregnant-with-their-baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now