Talk

Advanced search

HSG - antibiotics

(8 Posts)
eurochick Thu 25-Aug-11 15:48:37

I've asked this on another thread (thanks to those who answered there) but it has got a bit buried, so I will ask again here where it might be more easily spotted.

Has anyone been asked to take an antibiotic before a HSG in case of chlamydia? It is apparently standard practice at my hospital because if the infection is there the procedure could spread it through the tubes. The problem is, I am allergic to the standard antibiotic they prescribe so after much faffing and phoning around to find something else, I was prescribed an alternative. The problem is when I picked it up from the pharmacy, the pharmacist told me it was likely to give me an upset stomach. This is a worry because I have had over 10 years of IBS and am almost better. The last thing I want to do is cull the good bacteria I have spent a decade building up! Also, when I got home and opened the box it says not to take it if you are pregnant or ttc! And reading the accompanying leaflet it sounds like the napalm of antibiotics - it is used to cure malaria and gonnorhea (sp?) among other things.

So I am thinking of not taking it and just telling them I have (they won't do the procedure otherwise). I have had several clear chlamydia checks when I have had STI screens in the past (have never had a positive) and have done another one of the by post tests from Boots to double check (waiting for the result now).

Has anyone else had to take an antibiotic to have the procedure? I think it is just because it is rampant among teenagers in my area. As the only person I sleep with is my husband, I don't see why I should take unnecessary drugs. However, it is very unlike me to disobey a dr's instructions so I am giving it some thought first and would like to hear if this is routine. I'd be less concerned if I could take the standard one dose antibiotic rather than 5 days of what seems like a very strong antibiotic.

helenlouisey Thu 25-Aug-11 16:11:30

Hi eurochick, I'm afraid I dont know anything about taking these antibiotics to prevent spread of chlamydia into your tubes, and have never been asked to take antibiotics prior to an HSG, I have had it done 3 times, however I have always been asked to take them afterwards due to the risk of infection from having the procedure done. I was given a 1% risk of developing an infection after and HSG, so have always taken them afterwards.
I think there are things you can do to help the antibiotics not upsetting your tummy such as taking a good probiotics. Best of luck with the HSG.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 25-Aug-11 16:19:19

On a wider level is there not overall concern that some antibiotics have been prescribed unnecessarily?. This may be yet another example, I would discuss it further with the hospital's subfertility dept.

I had a HSG several years ago, the only medication I had beforehand were a couple of painkillers. Never received any antibiotics before or post procedure. BTW the HSG should not be painful provided the dye is injected both slowly and carefully. They should also tell you at the time whether the tubes are patent (open).

eurochick Thu 25-Aug-11 16:21:37

Hmmm. It has taken over 10 years of dietary management and probiotics to get the point where I can eat a meal without pain. I am v reluctant to upset the balance for a 1% risk.

eurochick Thu 25-Aug-11 16:38:47

Yes, Attila, unnecessary prescription of antibiotics is a bit of a bugbear of mine. That is a secondary concern here though. I am more concerned about the effect on my stomach and the fact that the substitute he found says not to take if ttc (I didn't have a lot of confidence because he was fishing around for ages to find an alternative to the usual one - he had the formulary out, rang various people, etc. He got no answer so just plumped for one in the end hmm).

I've had a google and it seems to be about 50/50 between people being given an antibiotic for the procedure and not. There doesn't seem to be any consensus.

MiniH Thu 25-Aug-11 19:07:58

I've just been booked in for hycosy with nhs (which is same as hsg except use ultrasound rather than xray). No mention of antibiotics but when I looked at getting it done privately they required three days of antibiotics. Definitely doesn't seem to be any consensus

Solars Thu 25-Aug-11 23:10:44

Hi there, I had a HSG just last week and was given antibiotics to take before the procedure. Sounds like there isn't any consensus though. If I were you, I would either try and talk to your consultant or even your GP and tell them your concerns. Hope that helps.

eurochick Fri 26-Aug-11 10:41:23

Thanks for your replies. I've been weighing it up overnight and have decided not to take them.

I spoke to a friend last night who had it done a few months ago at a neighbouring hospital and she wasn't given antibiotics.

I can't find the UK guidelines but I have found US guidelines and they say there is no need to prescribe antibiotics for an HSG if there is no history of pelvic infection (I have never had a pelvic infection). The infection rate if there is no preexisting infection is 1%. So I have decided to take that 1% risk.

I don't think there is any point talking to the consultant (or rather her flunky, who I have been dealing with). Hospital policy is to take it. My own judgement is that I shouldn't. So I'm just going to ignore the hospital policy. It seems to vary so much that it is just my bad luck that I have been referred here rather than to e.g. the hospital my friend was at a couple of miles away where they don't have this policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now