Talk

Advanced search

Anyone who struggled to conceive find that they got a BFP after losing some weight?

(44 Posts)
MadameBoo Mon 22-Aug-11 22:13:15

We've been ttc#2 for 20 months now with no success. I've steadily put on weight since October 2009 (had number 1 son in Jan 2008), and am thinking that this might have something to do with it (as well as the fact that I'm 39 so my eggs might be a but crispy).

I know a few people who conceived after losing some weight - I was wondering if there are any others out there?

I am a size 18-20 and could definitely do with losing a few pounds anyway, but I'm thinking a change in focus might do me some good as well, the relentless ttc cycle with it's ebbs and flows are doing my head right in at the moment.

LittleDragon Mon 22-Aug-11 23:09:42

We're TTCing #2 while I'm trying to lose weight. DS is now 6 and i'm with new partner. I wasn't actively TTCing when got pg with DS. We tried TTCing at the beginning of the year but sort of gave up after a mmc in cycle 4. We are now cycle one and are not sure if it's worked or if my body is just playing tricks on me as i am day 45 of what is usually a UCL of 30 days but have had 3 BFN urine tests.

DizzyCow63 Mon 22-Aug-11 23:11:46

Yes, I conceived after four years of trying, shortly after losing just over 2 stone in 2 months grin

LittleDragon Tue 23-Aug-11 00:07:39

so far i've lost just over a stone. It has taken me a while to do so but I feel as if I'm changing the habits of a lifetime and hope this time it will stay off. Atm i'm size 22-24 having gone down from a 26-28.

cheekycurls Tue 23-Aug-11 08:57:28

I'm hoping this is the case i'm currently trying to lose weight but not doing to well, every knock back, every time AF shows I comfort eat, i'm a size 18-20 but I have heard a sudden change in weight gives ur ovaries a kick up the bum! grin

MadameBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 15:53:55

Thanks for the replies. That has strengthened my resolve dizzycow .

So maybe we should start a get slim or get pregnant thread, either way you're onto a good thing I think!

MadameBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 15:56:00

I am so with you on the depressed comfort eating every time the fecking period turns up cheeky. Like dragon says, it's about trying to change habits isn't it?

zdcgbjm Tue 23-Aug-11 16:03:27

I had to lose weight to conceive all 3 of mine. I have PCOS which might explain it but I remember seeing some interesting stats at the fertility clinic. I can't remember the numbers but it was something like; of overweight women who are struggling to conceive 80% got pg after losing 5% of their body weight and 90% after losing 10%. Or it could have been higher. Apparently it is the change in weight that matters rather than what you actually weigh.

Good luck!

MadameBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 16:10:15

This is what I need to hear. In fact I lost half a stone before I got pregnant with my son. Why have I only just remembered that? <spanner emoticon>

havealittlefaithbaby Tue 23-Aug-11 16:28:08

There was a trying Loose weight for ttc thread. I'm hovering with a bmi of 30 while ttc myself.

MadameBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 19:13:18

I don't want to start or join a weight loss fred though. I am crap at them I've tried it before. Maybe I'll just hang out here and see if any other 'curvy' ladies want to join me and 'share experiences>.

BTW - being a BESH I don't do babydust. Just wanted to make that clear grin

Concordia Tue 23-Aug-11 19:16:20

i lost 2 stone before trying to conceive first time and then got pregnant within 6 weeks despite pcos.
second time around i carried more weight and it took longer, but the month i tried to focus just on losing weight not ttc i got pregnant.

MadameBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 19:19:54

Yes, one of my good friends did just that Concordia.

LittleDragon Thu 25-Aug-11 15:37:31

I'll join you MadameBoo I find a lot of people on the weight loss threads have a lot less to use than I do. To get down to my ideal weight I have over 7 stone to lose. I'm on mfp and I am finding it very useful.

Sn0wGoose Thu 25-Aug-11 15:56:12

I have a friend that was ttc for 10 years - tried IVF and everything - lost 2 stone and hey presto, upduffed within 6 months. Could be totally unconnected of course....

LittleDragon Sun 28-Aug-11 12:48:20

for some reason I've put on 4lb this week. I've cut down on portion sizes and been walking a lot more than usual. My main meals have been either omelettes or jacket potatoes. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this gain could be af.

MadameBoo Mon 29-Aug-11 13:20:25

Right - I'm back from hols and completely inspired on the lose weight and win a baybee front. I managed to eat some healthy food despite the cornish pasties, ice cream and fish and chips tempting me everywhere. So bring on the fertility boosting fertility sticks grin

MadameBoo Mon 29-Aug-11 13:20:53

or even the fertility boosting celery sticks. pfft.

Italiangreyhound Mon 29-Aug-11 23:54:19

MadameBoo just wanted to wish you all the very best with trying for baby number 2. We have been trying a long time and I am overweight but that is not the reason for our delay.

I just wanted to recommend a great book called Eating Less by Gillian Riley. I am not saying it will be the answer to all your concerns about food but it is good. I borrowed it from the library so I did not even have to pay for it! I also post on a thread here on Mumsent about the book Eating Less. We have all chipped in a lot in the past, thread is a bit quiet at the moment but if you (or anyone) wants to join us, please do feel free. The whole idea of the book is to own your choices for healthy eating, to stop thinking of it as a diet/trying to weigh less and not to tie it all in with looks but rather health. As I say, it may not be the answer to everything for you but it may help.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/big_slim_whatever_weight_loss_club/1216651-Anyone-want-to-join-a-thread-about-Eating-Less?msgid=27139872#27139872

Italiangreyhound Mon 29-Aug-11 23:57:26

Also you can see her website (Gillian Riley's) at

www.eatingless.com

MadameBoo Mon 29-Aug-11 23:58:36

Oooh, thanks muchly Italiangreyhound smile

Italiangreyhound Tue 30-Aug-11 00:16:18

MadameBoo can i ask, please, what does "BESH" mean? As in "BTW - being a BESH I don't do babydust. Just wanted to make that clear"

Thanks. grin

MadameBoo Tue 30-Aug-11 00:28:13

Oh - Barren Evil Selfish Hags. Coined by the original 30's plus ttcers as a reaction to a Daily Mail article about women selfishly leaving raising a family until later due to chasing a career instead. We have an aversion to babydust, as in, sending babydust. And babydancing. and Aunt Flo. etc.

Italiangreyhound Tue 30-Aug-11 00:40:12

Oh, is it related to PESH? And if so what is PESH? Thanks, learing so much tonight, must get on with the ironing!

Italiangreyhound Tue 30-Aug-11 00:40:19

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now