Talk

Advanced search

When is ovulation likley to occur?.....45 day cycle

(11 Posts)
shellmc Mon 22-Aug-11 21:16:51

Hi,

I have irregular periods last 2 i have had are around 45 day cycles.
When am i likley to ovulate??
Anyone else have long cycles, and can give me a rough indication.
When i conceived DS i know i ovulated on day 15 using ovulation kits but my periods wernt as irregular then.
Thankyou

eurochick Mon 22-Aug-11 21:28:57

Very roughly, 12-16 days before your period. So maybe days 29-33.

You could temp if you want to track it. I was having irregular periods and find temping v helpful (not least it now means I can predict my period with a high degree of accuracy!).

shellmc Mon 22-Aug-11 21:54:20

Thanks eurochick smile
Not sure how long my luteal phase is so maybe try and track temp, never done this before though, which thermometer do you get??
Maybe get sum more ovulation sticks too, just want to make sure i am ovulating as i have a referral next month for suspected PCOS. x

eurochick Mon 22-Aug-11 22:44:58

I got my thermometer from Amazon. It was less than a fiver. There are several places on ebay that also do them.

MeconiumHappens Mon 22-Aug-11 23:09:14

Def get a basal thermometer from ebay, and some ov sticks. Join fertility friend and track your symptoms, they explain how it all works. Definately will be useful to know when/if you are ovulating if pcos is suspected.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-Aug-11 08:51:57

shellmc

Cycles, if consistently long, are more likely than otherwise to be anovulatory.
A "normal" cycle is a cycle of between 21 and 35 days or with less than 4 days of variation from month to month. Its certainly not always 2 weeks or thereabouts before the start of the next period. Ovulation can occur earlier, later or not at all in any given cycle. It is also possible to have periods too without ovulating.

If you have suspected PCOS you may well find both charting and OPK's (particularly those) unhelpful. OPK's should be avoided if PCOS is suspected as they can give false positive results. These kits read LH levels; many women with PCOS have a higher than normal level of LH to start with so the kit reads that.

shellmc Wed 24-Aug-11 19:16:21

Thanks. Basal thermometer is what i need then. Iv heard about fertilty friend website, one of my friends used to use that when they were ttc.
AttilaTheMeerkat that makes sense what you are saying, when i got my last results i had a LH, FSH done and it was my LH that was high, it was since that result that gp mentioned about referral to endocrinologist.
Do you know much about LH, FSH tests??? As far as i know FSH was normal.
Im a bit unsure, about this result as when i had the bloods taken it was about 2 weeks later that i got my first period since stopping the pill.
2 weeks before that i could have possibly ovulated ???? :/ Could that have been the cause for my LH to be raised ??

Thanks again for the help

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 24-Aug-11 20:22:56

Hi shellmc,

re your comment:-

"AttilaTheMeerkat that makes sense what you are saying, when i got my last results i had a LH, FSH done and it was my LH that was high, it was since that result that gp mentioned about referral to endocrinologist.
Do you know much about LH, FSH tests??? As far as i know FSH was normal.
Im a bit unsure, about this result as when i had the bloods taken it was about 2 weeks later that i got my first period since stopping the pill.
2 weeks before that i could have possibly ovulated ???? :/ Could that have been the cause for my LH to be raised ??"

Have had more LH/FSH than I can to mention; in my case the cause of my long cycles was PCOS. Its very common.

Normally LH and FSH are the same or very similar. If LH was higher than FSH (and is consistently so, such tests should be repeated) then this could be indicative of a condition called polycystic ovaries. If PCO is there this would also account for the long cycles you're having. PCO is a possibility that needs further looking into by the medical people.

You had a withdrawal bleed two weeks after stopping the pill; that was not a menstrual or ovulatory bleed.

Hormonal imbalances often account for LH being raised; I would seek further medical advice. Am glad therefore to see that your GP has referred you to an endocrinologist; a gynae referral would be helpful as well in your case.

With such long cycles as well you may well come to find that temp charting may give you confusing signals. If that is the case stop charting. Its not an infallible method by any means and if your cycles are consitently irregular I would avoid temp charting altogether.

You will need to be persistent in order to get answers, you need a diagnosis first and foremost.

shellmc Wed 24-Aug-11 20:51:11

I should have explained myself properly re: my periods.

Iv had irregular bleeding on and off now for past 11 months or so, at the start i was bleeding on and off every ther week but just a little at a time. Iv had a number of appointments and had swabs taken and examinations to try to rule out what was happening.
All swabs came back clear and examinations showed nothing to be worried about, my GP then recommended coming off the pill to see if the pill was causing the bleeding/spotting. And also to have some blood tests take while off the pill to get true readings.

Came off the pill end of April-beginning May. Bleeding/spotting stopped.
Didnt get my first period untill 3rd July 8-9 weeks later, i had my bloods taken middle of June after being off the pill 6 weeks- (Gp said the pill should be totally out of my system by then.) SO it was 2 weeks before my first actual period that i had my bloods taken and LH showed higher than FSH.
I actually convinced myself i had ovulated after stopping the pill and got pregnant, felt crap, sickly, sore boobs ect.
This period lasted 4 days. I then had a little blood spot on 30th August (day 28) then another spot of blood on day 33) ???
Next and Last period was 16th August (day 45) lasted 5 days.

Im confused : confused i do understand what your saying about charting tho i think it may be a waste of time me trying to chart incase i do get false readings. I have my appointment end of next month so guess i will have to see what happens, before i start to chart.

Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 24-Aug-11 21:36:40

Hi Shellmc,

Bleeding between periods should always be investigated further so am glad this happened. Not really surprised to read though that swabs thankfully came back negative as such problems can be caused again by hormonal imbalances. IIRC low progesterone can also play a role with regards to such bleeding.

Keep your appt next month and if the bleeding starts up again, I would ask the GP to refer you to a gynae. Such problems are also outside a GPs general remit.

shellmc Fri 26-Aug-11 19:52:28

Yeh im thankful that i have been referred so i can find out what the hell is going on!!
Been keeping a diary of how i am for past few months as gp suggested to see how long cycles are, any discharge/ pains any spotting ect. By God i feel for DH i have been soo moody latley and emotional!!!
I am a bit worried about the spotting between periods and also the lengths of my cycles but guess il have to keep the worrying untill next month and hope a bit of light can shine.....as to whats going on x
Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now