Talk

Advanced search

ovulation tests always negative!

(14 Posts)
itsmekatielou Mon 22-Aug-11 15:59:14

Anyone else have this problem? i had a 26 days cycle and have tested twice a day from day 9 but they never come up positive?! my doctor says they can be temperamental, but i have done it for 3 months with nothing! i can feel ovulation happening as i usually get pain on my right hand side on or about the 12th day. I even went to a gynaecologist to check it out but she said i have a beautiful uterus and beautiful ovaries (her words!!) surely if there was something wrong it would have shown on the ultrasound? i'm just really worried about it as i am going for IUI and want to be as exact as possible with dates if you know what i mean???

thanks
xx

havealittlefaithbaby Mon 22-Aug-11 18:09:59

What kind are you using? I've never had a true positive with the cheap ones and that seems to be the same for lots of women on here. I would think if you've got this far down the line they would have identified if you weren't ovulating. Have you had your progesterone levels checked?

eurochick Mon 22-Aug-11 18:21:17

I had success with the expensive CB digital ones. Have you tried those? A lot of women on these boards seem to like them.

itsmekatielou Mon 22-Aug-11 18:36:00

i've used boots own brand and first response (not digital). I'm in a really complicated position, because i'm in a relationship with a woman we're not 'trying' like a man/woman couple would. i'vw only got my mind telling me there is a problem because i've never actually been in a position where i could be pregnant. plus because i'm an army wife serving in Germany there is a limit to what i can be offered in our medical centre because i'm going for private treatment. its all really complicated and i'm panicking, because it has to be such as exact science, i only get one chance per month at a cost of almost £1000 a go, so i'm just trying to get it dead on time and these bloody negative tests make me panic!

thanks for the replies

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Mon 22-Aug-11 18:43:38

I have never got a positive from the internet cheapies, even if I use several a day for a week leading up to ovulation. They're always either blank, or lighter than the control line.

I've only ever had one or two smile when using the CB digital, but ditched them as they were far too expensive for being so unreliable.

I now just go by good ol' mother nature. I have had a progesterone test done,so I know I ovulate, plus I've come to recognise ov pain, and with the help of charting I can have this confirmed through my temps.

Pipbin Mon 22-Aug-11 18:44:52

Quite a side from your problem, I haven't ever had a positive on any OPK test either, do the army recognise same sex couples for army accommodation? I didn't realise that they were so forward thinking.

As many have said above, the internet cheapies are rather temperamental, however could you try getting enough to test everyday? Also, are you testing at the right tim of day? Don't forget that with the cheap tests you need to test in the afternoon not morning.

itsmekatielou Mon 22-Aug-11 19:35:56

Hey pipbin, yep the army treats us the same as a man/woman couple and therefore are entitled to everything the army offers. We're currently in germany so all our medical care is dealt with at our Medical centre and as I said, because we are going private for iui there is a limit to what the med centre is allowed to do. With regard to testing I test twice a day, once in the morning (nit my first wee of the day) and once in the afternoon (at least two hours after drinking) I've used boots own brand and first response.

Ifatfurst I think I'm gonna have to rely on mother nature as testing just stresses me out!

MeconiumHappens Mon 22-Aug-11 19:51:59

They are often useless! I have used them for three months. Got one positive in al that time. Used clearblue this month, no positive at any time, but bfp today. I think cervical mucus is much more reliable. Good luck x

lozster Mon 22-Aug-11 21:45:20

Your uterus may well be beautiful grin but the test, as far as I understand it, for ovulation is a day 21 progesterone test. It's a blood test. This is a really basic first test that a GP (in UK) would send you for straight off before going down any other route.

Pipbin Tue 23-Aug-11 17:39:48

What does OV pain feel like?

I've had a light pain on my left today. Fells like a very light stitch.
I really must stop obsessing.

itsmekatielou Tue 23-Aug-11 17:48:14

Pipbin you coul very well be feeling ov pain. When i was younger I used to think I had appendicitis because I didn't realise what it was, now it feels like a dull ache, a bit like trapped wind right down the bottom. I always get it on the right x

itsmekatielou Wed 24-Aug-11 16:50:06

well just thought i would update you all. This moring i peed on my stick and its positive! the first one i've ever had! even though o'm not inseminating this month i was really happy! i seem to be on track because i got terrible ovulation pain at the moment and according to my p-tracker on my ipod to day is my ovulation day, so it all seems to be right!! If only we were inseminating today!!

itsmekatielou Wed 24-Aug-11 16:50:45

oh, forgot to say, it was an american brand ovulation test. Just a 'shop's' own one.

Pipbin Thu 25-Aug-11 20:28:43

Me too KatieLou I got my first positive today as well.
However it's a wee bit easier for me with regards to insemination.

It's just so relieving to know that it's happening, and just when Fertility Friend said it would do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now