Talk

Advanced search

how long after stopping contraceptive pill did your periods return to normal?

(15 Posts)
superv1xen Wed 17-Aug-11 10:41:41

just started TTC last month, came off the pill end of july and it took 45 days for me to come on my period, i did a pregnancy test or 2 but negative, but then when i did come on it only lasted 3 days confused

is this normal? i'm worried, i am 31, been on the pill (marvellon) for just over 2 years since having my youngest who is 2. and been on it since i was 18 apart from when i had my 2 dc.

Sn0wGoose Wed 17-Aug-11 11:35:02

How long is a piece of string? Lol

I was on cerazette for about 5 years. Took a break in the middle and it took me a good few months to get AF, but this time got AF in 35 days iirc, then each cycle shrank gradually til I was back to around 28. Imho it's too early to worry about your cycle, it'll level out in time smile

Imps7 Wed 17-Aug-11 12:30:07

Hi Super. When I came off the pill it took around 45 days to have my first period, then about 39 days for the second one and then they evened out to 29-32 days. My periods only last 4 days at most so you sound completely normal to me!!

Good luck!

1sttimetryer Wed 17-Aug-11 21:04:03

Hiya, when i came off the pill it took 42 days to get my first period, then 48 days from my first to my 2nd and then 70 days from my 2nd to my 3rd, so its anybodies guess how long yours will get back to normal. I only hope yours wont be as bad as mine! Good luck!!

Casmama Wed 17-Aug-11 21:06:25

I was about 6 weeks to get my first period, 26 days to get my second and then I got pregnant. Good luck with ttc.

johnnycomelurky Wed 17-Aug-11 21:25:20

I was on Mercilon before TTC. I got my first period about 35 days after coming off pill, had very short period, I think a day and a half! Didn't get another period because I fell pregnant the next month. So strange periods don't necessarily mean you're not ovulating, etc. Good luck!

MeconiumHappens Wed 17-Aug-11 23:15:21

It takes a while. I came off pill in january. have had cycles of 27, 27, 38, 30, 31 and now another long one i think (or maybe up the duff? but think unlikely). Just when I think i know what they are doing they change. Was having lots of spotting days befoe af but none this month. AF also now just 2 days, much lighter than when on pill.

good luck!

Popbiscuit Wed 17-Aug-11 23:18:20

Doctors will not tell you this but it can take a while. Took me 9 months or thereabouts after coming off all three times to have my DCs. Not to worry smile.

superv1xen Thu 18-Aug-11 10:18:48

thank you for the re assurance, glad to hear its quite normal

smile

Discolite Thu 18-Aug-11 23:09:31

I came off the pill in March after 12 years. So far it's been 41, 42, 37 and 33 days. I'd say I hope that my period comes at 33 days or less next time but I'd rather a BFP I think grin

I do wish I'd come off the pill about 6 months before starting to ttc properly. The long cycles are a real pain, especially when I worked out that if I'd had nice 28 day cycles I'd have had 5 cycles not 4!

Granny23 Thu 18-Aug-11 23:15:26

Came off the pill 3 times, each time no period, pregnant immediately.

farfallarocks Fri 19-Aug-11 14:03:18

Some people go back to normal straight away. It took me 6 months for my hormones to start over again, remember you have been effectively on hormone replacement therapy!

My cycles were really short and AF extremely light. I also had lots of spotting before AF. All this points to a lack of progesterone which apparently can be quite common after the pill. After 6 months my cycles have legthened to 27 days, no spotting and a much more normal length, 4 days. It can take a while for the lining to build up properly. Good luck!
p.s. I also wish I had come off the pill 6 months ago!

MeconiumHappens Fri 19-Aug-11 21:20:05

mine very much like yours farfalla with the spotting and light periods, def a regulating thing and seems to be quite common, except the lucky devils like Granny who are updiffed within 20mins of coming off the pill ;)

AliceWyrld Fri 19-Aug-11 21:23:09

I didn't get back to normal for years. I had acupuncture to sort it out in the end and that did it within a few months. May have been nothing to do with the pill tho, although the docs did check and couldn't find a reason. But if you end up the same, I recommend acupuncture.

dontcarehow Mon 22-Aug-11 09:46:48

took me one year, almost til the day after coming off the pill to even get a period, and even then it was hardly worth calling a period. Don't know if its a normal cycle yet, here's hoping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now